Importing several Multitrack WAV files to several lanes at once

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Claude

Importing several Multitrack WAV files to several lanes at once

Post by Claude »

Dear colleagues,

I am using Mixcraft 6 PRO Studio since 2 years and I am getting more and more used of different tricks, but I still have one question to you.

Maybe somebody can answer me the following: Is it possible to import several Multitrack WAV files to several lanes/tracks at once. I am using Drums On Demand Multitrack WAV files that sound great but it is very time consuming importing a file for each lane/track separately.

Enclosed you can see how the files in DOD are organized (each file has an extensions that is obvious : Crash, Ride, Rim, Fill, Alt (alternate), Intro, Ending, Build, Interlude (break), etc.

Thank you for your kind support
Claude
Attachments
ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 03 18.31.jpg
ScreenHunter_03 Jun. 03 18.31.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 5769 times
Acoustica Greg

Re: Importing several Multitrack WAV files to several lanes at once

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft doesn't currently have an option to do that, but we've gotten several requests that we add an option like that, so it will likely show up in a future version.

For Mixcraft update news, click "Like" on Mixcraft's Facebook page or sign up for the Acoustica Newsletter.

Greg
geo524

Post by geo524 »

Please add importing several tracks at once soon!! Also the ability to group tracks and more than anything being able to browse to different directories from within MixCraft itself. Adding a sound as it is now from the file menu is painfully slow and cumbersome. MixCraft is an awesome DAW and just these features alone once added will make it even more so.
Win 10x64; Reaper; MixCraft 9 Pro; AMD FX4100 x4; 3.8GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2; SSD 1TB; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitors; Kali LP 8 monitors
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

I do agree with you about importing multiple files at once.

While we wait for that to be implemented you don't have to import files via the file menu you can open windows side by side and tyhen drag and drop. Still not as efficient as a bulk import but quicker than using the file menu.

Here is a short video I did when someone asked a similar question recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvrMenmUmWU

Cheers

John
geo524

Post by geo524 »

Thanks for the video. I meant to say drag and drop from windows explorer not the file menu. That was my bad. Adding individual media files in this manner is okay. It's the same with Reaper but you also have the option of importing several tracks at once. With Sonar you just import from one or several tracks. The drag and drop method in MC is better than nothing but very archaic.
Win 10x64; Reaper; MixCraft 9 Pro; AMD FX4100 x4; 3.8GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2; SSD 1TB; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitors; Kali LP 8 monitors
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

geo524 wrote:It's the same with Reaper but you also have the option of importing several tracks at once. With Sonar you just import from one or several tracks. The drag and drop method in MC is better than nothing but very archaic.

I completely agree - I have said before that is actually pretty much the only feature of Reaper I miss.

Cheers

John
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Mixcraft 2 actually works this way. A group of clips imported into Mixcraft were placed one below the other. We changed it in Mixcraft 3 because people making mixes wanted the clips end to end.

This is logged as a feature request.

Greg
geo524

Post by geo524 »

And I appreciate it Greg. I know development of certain features takes time but the ones mentioned here aren't all that difficult to implement are they? Just asking. What about grouping tracks and browsing directories? Grouping tracks is excellent for soloing or muting a bunch of tracks at once which I've already found I needed to do on more than one occasion working in MixCraft.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Adding new features is not a simple matter because of the nature of software. Sometimes changing one thing introduces bugs in unexpected places, so additional testing is always required. That said, anybody who's been around here for a while should know that we're pretty good about listening to customer feedback.

How would you like to see a track group feature work?

In the past, we've talked about just adding the option to select multiple tracks. This would allow you to perform operations on the selected group of tracks.

Greg
outteh

Post by outteh »

If you offer an option to group files onto one track (linear) or multiple tracks (horizontal) on import, you would have the best of both worlds.

Grouping tracks by highlighting and selecting group, allows for flexibility. You should also do like windows explorer and allow for selecting with the control key so you could skip tracks as needed. What happens after the group selection is a whole other ballgame, do you create a group track mixer panel, allow the first grouped tracks controls to effect all the other grouped tracks, etc!
mick

Post by mick »

outteh wrote:If you offer an option to group files onto one track (linear) or multiple tracks (horizontal) on import, you would have the best of both worlds.

Grouping tracks by highlighting and selecting group, allows for flexibility. You should also do like windows explorer and allow for selecting with the control key so you could skip tracks as needed. What happens after the group selection is a whole other ballgame, do you create a group track mixer panel, allow the first grouped tracks controls to effect all the other grouped tracks, etc!
You can open explorer and select multiple files using ctrl+click and Mixcraft as you have already pointed out will place all the files/stems in a consecutive order and from there you can save as choice 1? then you can arrange each file/stem to individual tracks and save as choice 2? so you now have both choices - linear and horizontal, and can decide what to do with each.
geo524

Post by geo524 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Adding new features is not a simple matter because of the nature of software. Sometimes changing one thing introduces bugs in unexpected places, so additional testing is always required. That said, anybody who's been around here for a while should know that we're pretty good about listening to customer feedback.

How would you like to see a track group feature work?

In the past, we've talked about just adding the option to select multiple tracks. This would allow you to perform operations on the selected group of tracks.

Greg
Hi Greg, I have no doubt that support is good at listening to customer feedback. I've seen that already from v5 to v7 and I honestly am loving MixCraft. I'm not trying to compare it in a negative way or bash it by any means. Matter of fact I just recommended it to 2 friends of mine that are considering going with a PC DAW over their current platforms. I just think with the above added features it would really give it an edge and make it even more competitive with the "Big Boy DAWs".

In answering your question I'd like to see something along the lines that Sonar or Reaper has. Hold down ALT or CTRL on the keyboard and left click on the tracks you want to group/select together. Or if say you have 15 tracks but need to select the first 10 to send to a new stereo bus, click on the first track then hold down shift and click on the 10th track and all are selected or grouped together with one click. While holding ALT or CTRL again with all tracks highlighted they can be sent to the new stereo bus with one click. In Sonar I can also left click and drag across the tracks to group/select them.

As far as importing several tracks in Sonar after opening a new project it's as easy as selecting import from the file menu, browsing to the files, highlighting them and clicking import. Each file is imported individually to its own track. I can even select whether they are imported in Mono or Stereo plus choose the bit depth as well. The last 2 options are not important to me but being able to import several tracks at once is. Hope this makes sense. I'd really love to see these features added over time of course. I'd even pay extra for the upgrade to have them.