Making the jump to 64 bit

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: Making the jump to 64 bit

Post by Acoustica Greg »

FlyingsCool wrote:I can't say that they are. Can I install 32 bit and 64 bit at the same time? (not run at the same time, clearly)
Are projects cross-compatible?
Yes, you can have both 32- and 64-bit Mixcraft installed at the same time and the projects are compatible with both, although if you have 64-bit-only plugins, they won't load in 32-bit Mixcraft, of course.

Greg
aj113

Post by aj113 »

I have given up on 64 bit MC. Acoustica have made a valiant effort to help users migrate seamlessly from 32 bit to 64 bit but the sad fact is that the majority of VSTs are still 32 bit and therefore large projects in 64 bit MC with multiple plugins are prone to freeze/crash and generally misbehave. MC 32 bit resolves all of those issues, and I've never even come close to using 4GB of memory, although I appreciate that some big orchestra-type plugins will make a dent in it.
FlyingsCool wrote:And why is my acoustic guitar recording sounding flat, I'm expecting a little more sustain on the chords, but they tend to roll off quickly. How do I increase the sustain to get a little more body in the sound? Compression? What else?

Mic position? I've moved it around without really getting what I'm expecting. Guitar in question is a Taylor 614CE
Sustain comes from the guitar itself, you can't increase sustain with post production processing. If there is not enough sustain in your recording it's because your guitar does not sustain enough. If you haven't already - try a new set of strings, that is easily the most effective 'processing' you can use for recording acoustic guitar.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

aj113 wrote:I have given up on 64 bit MC. Acoustica have made a valiant effort to help users migrate seamlessly from 32 bit to 64 bit but the sad fact is that the majority of VSTs are still 32 bit and therefore large projects in 64 bit MC with multiple plugins are prone to freeze/crash and generally misbehave. MC 32 bit resolves all of those issues, and I've never even come close to using 4GB of memory, although I appreciate that some big orchestra-type plugins will make a dent in it.
I've never had any issues with MC and 64 bit even with 32 bit vst's. Then again I've never done any really large projects, maybe 15 with vst's. In fact, knock on wood, I haven't had a freeze/crash or any other misbehavior in some time....... Thanks MC! :mrgreen:

M
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
FlyingsCool wrote:I can't say that they are. Can I install 32 bit and 64 bit at the same time? (not run at the same time, clearly)
Are projects cross-compatible?
Yes, you can have both 32- and 64-bit Mixcraft installed at the same time and the projects are compatible with both, although if you have 64-bit-only plugins, they won't load in 32-bit Mixcraft, of course.

Greg
Ok, I'll check that out when I get a chance.

I'll set up 3 VST directories:

32 Bit Only VST's (For MC64 and MC32)
64 Bit VST's (For MC64)
32-64 Bit VST's (for MC32) (32-Bit Counterparts of 64 Bit VST's)

That way, I won't be loading duplicate VST's for those VST's I have both 32-Bit and 64 Bit versions.
Does that sound reasonable?
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

As mentioned, the Voxengo plug-ins are available in 64 bit (including the ones that Acoustica ships in only 32 bit form).

Same story for the GVST effects.
-Erik
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Starship Krupa wrote:As mentioned, the Voxengo plug-ins are available in 64 bit (including the ones that Acoustica ships in only 32 bit form).

Same story for the GVST effects.
Yep, got both...