conserving CPU Usage

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

martinweeks

conserving CPU Usage

Post by martinweeks »

Hey Folks,

In been pointed out in other posts that I really need to do some tweaking on my computer to reduce the crackling and/or latency problems I've been happening.
While cleaning out my Outlook Inbox folder I ran across an old YouTube Video on how to ease up on CPU Usage.
According to the video this procedure can be done on any DAW, but the Video uses Reaper for it's demonstration.
Could someone (when you have time no hurry on this one) go through the included video link I have here and kind of translate on how I would do this procedure in Mixcraft 7? I think I actually already am doing this but I am not sure. And obviously when I'm trying to conserve hard drive space and lower CPU usage I'm not interested in any more DAW's for a while. At least not till I'm more familiar with all the little things Mixcraft does that ain't in the videos. (lol!)

Anyway here's the video link and I'd appreciate some translation to Mixcraft Speak. Thanks in advance.
https://www.homemusicstudio1.com/loweri ... usage-daw/
outteh

Re: conserving CPU Usage

Post by outteh »

All he's doing is taking a track after you have added all the effects and fixes you want to it and rendering it to a .wav file. He then uses the .wav file in his mix instead of the track with all the stuff on it. You can do this for audio or midi tracks. Since he mixed down file contains all the effects already processed (reverb, echo, delay, distortion,EQ, etc.) your DAW does not have to use them again in the final mixdown.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Reminder- In the thread "Channel Strip" in May I suggested:
"If you are having trouble with computer resource overload, be aware of unnecessary processors, redundant/duplicate processors.
Make sure your project is consolidated to one folder, (Slight but noticeable help for me.)
Merge clips in tracks that are arranged and edited.
Use the freeze tracks function and/or render tracks that are "finished" into stems, etc.
You can also "temporarily" use rendered tracks or submixes while working on other tracks, then go back to the original "tracks in progress" for further work later.
"
Also, have you read and studied the thread at the top of this page?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

geo524

Post by geo524 »

Here's another guide for optimizing your PC for audio in Win7 and Win8.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowle ... tion-Guide
Win 10x64; Reaper; MixCraft 9 Pro; AMD FX4100 x4; 3.8GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2; SSD 1TB; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitors; Kali LP 8 monitors
martinweeks

Post by martinweeks »

I use Windows XP because I cannot afford to upgrade computers right now. This will not change for a while. Outside of the issues with vocals I do not have any other problems using mixcraft. I know most folks have long since upgradedto Windows 7 and above, but due to outside issues, that will not happen for me for a while. I have to use what I have.

Thanks for the input though. I thought I was already doing this and apparently I am. Thanks a bunch.