Stereo vocal track?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

cubby

Stereo vocal track?

Post by cubby »

Mixcaft 7. HP Probook I7 processor with 8gig of Ram. Each track has the double LED lights. But when I lay down a vocal track it only records with one of the LED track lights. I've been having to duplicate the track and pan one track left and one right. This gives me left and right audio. But it's not stereo. What am I missing here? I'm Using an Alesis 4 channel interface IO4.
Thanks for your much needed input. :D

cubs :D
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Re: Stereo vocal track?

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Here's what you are missing.
Microphones (most of them anyway) are mono devices. When you choose "stereo" as the recording source, it will of course only record one side because the device is mono.
Choose "left" from the arm menu and you'll have a regular mono clip recorded.
cubby

Post by cubby »

Thank you Eric,,

cubs :D
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

I'm not sure what this really means, or how you might use it, but it seems like perhaps it might help when using something like a ping pong or panning VST. If I take a mic track (mono track recorded to both sides as noted above) and mix it down to a new track, it shows the track as a stereo track with two signals, instead of mono track registering on both left and right output.

There's probably no difference between the two, but, for whatever reason, MC displays it differently.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

The original stereo theory was formatted on the average distance that human ears are from each other. Accordingly, those original stereo recordings were done with two mics placed at that distance from each other. So, when you say it's "not stereo" it isn't (theoretically) but with the way we can manipulate the sound images these days, one mic would be to me, up for the task as long as we can build those imaginary spaces with digital lumber.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

FlyingsCool wrote:There's probably no difference between the two, but, for whatever reason, MC displays it differently.
Its just displayed that way. Its a mono file. But you can pan the track as desired going into the main bus.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page