New recordings picking up other tracks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BrotherBax

New recordings picking up other tracks

Post by BrotherBax »

When I record with the mic, I'm picking up sounds from other tracks. I've exhausted the tips from the help (fooling with the sound card mixer, using headphones, etc.) but I'm still having the problem. I've tried turning down the wave on the Windows master volume and this helps, but then I can hardly hear the track to play along. My soundcard is a Realtek HD Audio card that came with this prebuilt PC. Any tips?

Other than this issue, I'm loving Mixcraft...So easy to learn and use; the tutorials online are a nice intro to the product.

Thanks,
BrotherBax
Stef66

Post by Stef66 »

Did you select the proper recording source in your sound card mixer or in Mixcraft?

On each track, at the very end of the function buttons, (Mute,Solo, Arm) there is a little arrow, click on this and you can select the proper recording source, you should select the proper recording source from there.

If im taking myself for example, i got a sound blaster Audigy II sound card, and if i choose "What you hear" for a recording source, i will get everything that i'm hearing in my headphones or speakers recorded as i'm trying to record, in other words, the sound card records everything that's being currently heard regardless if it's being actual playback or recording.
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Overdub must be checked and the proper source checked as was mentioned above.
BrotherBax

Post by BrotherBax »

Thanks Stef and EL, but I've got overdub checked and the only option for recording source is mic/line in (by the arm button). I'm beginning to think it is a limitation of the sound card. :?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Is that a combination microphone/line in source option?

When you tried the headphones, did you turn off or disconnect your speakers?

See if there are any updated drivers for this sound device on your computer manufacturer's web page.

Greg
BrotherBax

Found a fix

Post by BrotherBax »

Greg, to answer your questions, yes and yes. They were not the problem.....I did download drivers, but the fix I found may have been coincidental. After loading new drivers, I started playing more with the soundcard software. I noticed under record when I clicked mute on stereo mixer, the problem went away. Yeah, so my problems were over? No.

Next, I noticed when I plugged in my guitar amp (using the amp headphone jack) into the line in, I was only recording on the left channel. After more fooling with the sound card controls, I found a checkbox under the mic tab for noise suppression and acoustic echo cancellation. For whatever reason, clicking those allow the mono amplifier input to record to both sides equally. Now I can use the Mixcraft track pan control and send to one side or the other. The noise suppression is doing something too, because the recorded tracks now sound much cleaner as well....

I can't wait to do more recording now! Thanks for the help! BB 8)
Mindzye

Fantastic stuff

Post by Mindzye »

Stef66 wrote:Did you select the proper recording source in your sound card mixer or in Mixcraft?

On each track, at the very end of the function buttons, (Mute,Solo, Arm) there is a little arrow, click on this and you can select the proper recording source, you should select the proper recording source from there.

If im taking myself for example, i got a sound blaster Audigy II sound card, and if i choose "What you hear" for a recording source, i will get everything that i'm hearing in my headphones or speakers recorded as i'm trying to record, in other words, the sound card records everything that's being currently heard regardless if it's being actual playback or recording.
I just went on your myspace page and was blown away!...great stuff
Turn it Loud!
Stef66

Post by Stef66 »

Hey Mindzye,

thanks a lot for your comment about my music posted on myspace!

Very kind of you!

It's always greatly appreciated to receive positive feedback like this.

Have a great day!

Stephane ;)
adammofoolson

Post by adammofoolson »

brotherbax are you using a mono or a stereo cable to record from your amp. I currently use a line6 spider 3 and had the same problem. Try using a stereo cable, it makes a world of difference on sound and with effects.