What is the difference between Mixcraft 7 and other more expensive DAW's???

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

What is the difference between Mixcraft 7 and other more expensive DAW's???

Post by marc32123 »

I was checking out some youtube vids about other DAW's today. I am just wondering, how is Mixcraft 7 different from, say, Pro Tools? What separates the two other than just price?
chibear

Re: What is the difference between Mixcraft 7 and other more expensive DAW's???

Post by chibear »

The Price!!! :mrgreen:

To seriously answer your question, virtually all have free trials and I would encourage you to try them. You will find that each has its strong and weak areas. Without saying too much, how about if you give us a comparison. You have EWQLSO. Set up and record 10 tracks of Play in Mixcraft. Then do the same in Pro Tools (which you mentioned) and give us your comparison of work flow in the 2 DAWs.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Not exactly asking about worflow though chi, more about features. Like, does Mixcraft lack any certain features compared to the other more expensive ones?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

There are a great deal of different features in different DAW's.
Many are what I would consider "geared" more for different types of users, meaning perhaps, heavy synth users might prefer a few over others or something.
Some offer a great deal of flexibility in routing for another example, often at the cost of mind numbing complexity and very steep learning curves IMO.
But the bottom line for me is that Mixcraft offers features that are found in programs at four times the cost, and a far more intuitive interface than any I have tried, even at less cost than Mixcraft.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Post by 7915983 »

The only difference between DAWs is workflow, there's practically nothing you can do in one major DAW that you can't do in another major DAW.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

workflow setup,time consumption,& sheer headache w/ Pro Tools.
not to mention Mixcraft is a whole lot easier on computer resource usage. :wink:
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

marc32123 wrote:I was checking out some youtube vids about other DAW's today. I am just wondering, how is Mixcraft 7 different from, say, Pro Tools? What separates the two other than just price?
I understand that the audio schools are using Pro-Tools so it's mostly about marketing a product to graduates and saturating the industry eventually -- as if that's even possible and they haven't yet already done so.

Mixcraft was the ONLY DAW that I (the proverbial knee high) could actually begin producing music with in the least amount of time.

The amount you spend for software doesn't necessarily mean you can get a 'better' mix and those other DAW sellers are all bound and determined to make you believe otherwise.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Feature wise about the only significant one missing in Mixcraft is the ability to send midi to midi across tracks, and Mixcraft has this on their horizon. Other than this, you can do anything in Mixcraft that you can do in other DAW's. As folks were trying to point out, workflow and ease of use are key elements on users deciding which DAW they prefer. Pro Tools has become the "professional" standard of many commercial studios, but other DAW's have been used in professional music production including Mixcraft.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

I was checking out this guy mixing vocals in pro tools. When he clicked on compressors, there was a whole list of like 50 or so different options. Same with EQ. Mixcraft doesn't seem to have as many options when it comes to effects though, right? Or am I missing something? I don't have the pro version either...
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

marc32123 wrote:I was checking out this guy mixing vocals in pro tools. When he clicked on compressors, there was a whole list of like 50 or so different options. Same with EQ. Mixcraft doesn't seem to have as many options when it comes to effects though, right? Or am I missing something? I don't have the pro version either...
well just exactly how much carp do you really need?

also,about Pro Tools- if your computer isn't Avid-qualified you get ZERO company support and no guarantee it will even work right.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=276664
outteh

Post by outteh »

The number of specific effects is misleading. You can get all kinds of third party stuff that complements what comes with the DAW. Mixcraft is noted for providing a generous amount of plugins as well as a large amount of loops and samples, more so than any other DAW.
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

outteh wrote:Feature wise about the only significant one missing in Mixcraft is the ability to send midi to midi across tracks, (...)
... and native sidechaining capability.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

Mixcraft handles MIDI way better than PT even in the face of no internal MIDI routing (Pleaseeeee add this)

The biggest draw to Mixcraft for me was the super intuitive application of automation lanes and loop/punch recording. And mixing is a pleasure on it. It just gets out of the way. And the Performance Mode (dare I say it)
gives Abletons a run for the money.

It's not without it's nuances though...but the team is very receptive to users input.

And one other thing to remember, while its convenient to be able to do everything in one environment, you aren't handcuffed to using one DAW only.
davefk

Post by davefk »

Most other DAW's don't give you any usable plugins such as VST's or GM/GS Sounds. Mixcraft gives you a TON of really useful sounds as well as thousands of free loops. Mixcraft is great for the beginner and more advanced users alike. Although. as an advanced user of the software, I still find things are sometimes just not right and could be improved. And there are the still constant hangups and occasional crashes. The team at Mixcraft are on the ball and are willing to answer any questions in a professional manner, and of course you have the great forum resource.