Mixing down

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

Mixing down

Post by Ianpb »

I've created a choir using 28 tracks which I want to mix down to a single stereo audio file in order to put back (import) into the main project. To maintain the best quality should I mix this down to a 44.1 kHz WAV file at 32 bits or 24 bits, bearing in mind that my final mixdown will be at 44.1kHz, 24-bits?

Am I correct in thinking that Mixcraft 7 audio operates at 32 bits, and therefore it is ideal to save this choir mix at 32 bits?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixing down

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Just mix down to whatever quality settings you're using in Sound Device preferences. If you're using 44100 Hz, 24-bit, mix down to that. Using higher settings would just take up more hard drive space without adding any quality.

Greg

Post by 7915983 »

Honestly, I think 32 bit is too much and should usually be avoided, I never go above 24 bit, and usually end up using 16 bit.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Interesting article stated in plain terms

http://lifehacker.com/5810575/does-bitr ... n-my-music
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well, one thing that needs to be understood is that "32 bit float", (as used internally within the DAW) has little or nothing to do with "32 bit" in the context of any other use. As I understand it (admittedly limited) there is no relationship whatsoever.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Thanks for the answer, Greg, I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't end up with problems when I perform the final mixdown. I had originally saved the choir to 192kbps MP3, but eventually came across clarity issues after importing it back into Mixcraft, and this became more noticeable with the improved equipment I've recently bought.

I notice however, that the 'Wave file setup' doesn't include 44.1kHz @ 24-bit. Considering that this is a standard for mastering, it should, at least, be included as a choice under the 'Preset quality' selections, rather than having to resort to setting it up under 'Specify Settings'. That would be more relevant than 192kHz at 24-bits.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The options available there depending upon your audio hardware and your Windows settings. What settings are you currently using? Mix down to a wav file with those settings.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

By the way, if you are using WaveRT, switching to Exclusive Mode would give you more sample rate choices.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I'm using ASIO.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ianpb wrote:I'm using ASIO.
In that case, the sample rate and bit depth is determined by your ASIO driver. Click Open Mixer to see your options.