Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by mixyguy2 »

Anorax wrote:Multi-solo is most definitely a thing my dude when mixing.

I mean technically it'd become "soli" but still - soloing multiple tracks is definitely a thing done fairly often, esp. in a track-heavy recording project.
Doing what you're saying to do, sure, I just never called it "soloing" or "multi-soloing," so maybe I'm not using terminologies normally...regardless, for that you can just mute/unmute the given tracks, so IMO it defeats the purpose of having a Solo button, which to me should mean "I ONLY want to hear that track."
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Remember with Mixcraft 8, you can hold down the Ctrl key when you Mute or Solo to automatically un-mute or un-solo all other tracks.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
DjinnMansoor

Post by DjinnMansoor »

I have three requests - one major and two (I would think) minor:

1. Clip Transparency : I would really like an option to control the transparency levels of clips, so that we can also see the track grid behind the clips when needed.

2. More colour options / High contrast / Flat colour theme : I would really like a high contrast colour theme with no graphical textures in the GUI. The reason behind my request is that I have ADHD. I find that I need high contrast colour schemes with clear and bright colours on dark backgrounds and a clean, flat, clutter free GUI to maintain focus and not get as easily distracted.
Ableton, MOTU Digital Performer and Tracktion Waveform all do this very well for me, and I can work for hours on them with little issue.
I know we can edit the theme ini and mixrez files ourselves, but it is sort of tedious to do when you can't see the outcome as soon as you make a small change to the UI without restarting the application.
If it were easier to edit the UI colours using WYSIWYG controls instead of having to edit ini files and tiny png files in PS or GIMP etc, I'd totally do it myself, but as it is, I just don't have the time.

I could just switch back to Ableton or stick with Waveform, but MixCraft Pro has features that Ableton SORELY lacks for my needs. Digital Performer is hella expensive and doesn't support VST3 (!!!), and Waveform is too unstable and not nearly as intuitive to use as MixCraft Pro.

3. Modular I/O system : Now this is the major request I have: A modular audio and midi I/O routing system similar to eg. Bitwig Studio, MuTools MuLab/MUX Modular or Tracktion Waveform. Sends and inserts are excellents features, but after having worked a great deal with modular I/O interfaces in other DAWs, it is greatly missed in MixCraft.
I know this feature is probably a number of years off in the future from being implemented, if ever. :)

EDIT: I have one more request, sorry!

4. More freely movable/dockable/resizable elements : Especially the transport bar has always been a peeve of mine. It would be SO nice if we could resize and move elements such as the transport bar to be more compact and fit in with our preferred work flows. It would also totally rock if we could open/undock the library browser in an independent window, separate from the details area.
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

I think it is very usefull when it is possible that a midi controller can define for mouseover value change. I mean when the mouse is for example over the attack rate of omni sampler, then move knob on midi controller change attack value. and when mouse is over cutoff knob, then it change cutoff. of course this is only usefull with endless knobs keyboard.

I never define any knob on my midicontroller, because i just can not remember which parameter it control and it can only 8 parameter. but with always same knob that can use for parameter under the mousepointer there is always see what can change and all parameters can change with knob instead of click and mousemove

maybe this can add in mixcraft ?
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

for (movie) music it is very usefull when it is possible to load and save performance sets(maybe in menu when right click on a set name). and when this performance sets can trigger from sequencer is also usefull too.

then in movie music can play diffrent sets by just add a trigger note in sequencer track that is route to control performance
heks

Post by heks »

DjinnMansoor wrote:
3. Modular I/O system : Now this is the major request I have: A modular audio and midi I/O routing system similar to eg. Bitwig Studio, MuTools MuLab/MUX Modular or Tracktion Waveform. Sends and inserts are excellents features, but after having worked a great deal with modular I/O interfaces in other DAWs, it is greatly missed in MixCraft.
I know this feature is probably a number of years off in the future from being implemented, if ever. :)
I totaly agree. :D Something like the modular page in Mulab would be great ( its like having leads again, seeing whats conected to what ).
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

DjinnMansoor wrote: 4. More freely movable/dockable/resizable elements : Especially the transport bar has always been a peeve of mine. It would be SO nice if we could resize and move elements such as the transport bar to be more compact and fit in with our preferred work flows. It would also totally rock if we could open/undock the library browser in an independent window, separate from the details area.
Preach on brother!
aj113

Post by aj113 »

mixyguy2 wrote:

I mean technically it'd become "soli" but still - soloing multiple tracks is definitely a thing done fairly often, esp. in a track-heavy recording project.
Doing what you're saying to do, sure, I just never called it "soloing" or "multi-soloing," so maybe I'm not using terminologies normally...regardless, for that you can just mute/unmute the given tracks, so IMO it defeats the purpose of having a Solo button, which to me should mean "I ONLY want to hear that track."
Say I solo the bass to hear what it is doing. Now I want to hear it together with the kick drum. Going by your description I have to un-solo the bass, mute all of the tracks in the project, un-mute the bass, then un-mute the kick.

Or I could just hit the kick solo button.

The button may be called 'solo' but it actually means 'play only the tracks that have this button enabled'.
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

aj113 wrote:
mixyguy2 wrote:

Say I solo the bass to hear what it is doing. Now I want to hear it together with the kick drum. Going by your description I have to un-solo the bass, mute all of the tracks in the project, un-mute the bass, then un-mute the kick.

Or I could just hit the kick solo button.

The button may be called 'solo' but it actually means 'play only the tracks that have this button enabled'.
Best is, when can save mixer settings of solo, volume, and pan settings and give it a name so can choose later. save mixer settings is since longer time in samplitude music studio. now cubase 10 get it too.

They save also all effect settings, plugins. but this is not need important. i think when only store solo, mute, volume and pan settings of mixer, this can fast program so mixer snapshots can do and give it a name. for example then can create a snapshots bass and drums,
full mix and much more and compare diffrent mixes with diffrent tracks enable easy.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

musicuser99 wrote:Best is, when can save mixer settings of solo, volume, and pan settings and give it a name so can choose later. save mixer settings is since longer time in samplitude music studio. now cubase 10 get it too.

They save also all effect settings, plugins. but this is not need important. i think when only store solo, mute, volume and pan settings of mixer, this can fast program so mixer snapshots can do and give it a name. for example then can create a snapshots bass and drums,
full mix and much more and compare diffrent mixes with diffrent tracks enable easy.
Hi,

Do you know about templates?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
mick

Post by mick »

Mixer "snapshots" 8 different mixer settings per project irrespective of the number of tracks all recalled in a split second. Gain, pan, EQ, solo, mute and anything related to the mixer are saved to a snapshot. Auditioning a mixer setting against another gives interesting and insightful info regarding a satisfactory mix.

Saving as project then recalling that project would take ages and ages, this is the ONLY way to audition A to B mixer settings as requested by musicuser99.

EDIT: Snapshots save mixer settings only and not FX inserts or changes to the project. Inserts are treated as part of the project and they remain as they were written/automated.

Snapshots in Cubase 10 applies only to the pro version costing about $450 so this is one thing to consider I suppose against the more modest Mixcraft pricing, nevertheless its a useful feature to consider even if in a more basic form.
snapshop.PNG
snapshop.PNG (37.65 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
Last edited by mick on Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
musicuser99 wrote:Best is, when can save mixer settings of solo, volume, and pan settings and give it a name so can choose later. save mixer settings is since longer time in samplitude music studio. now cubase 10 get it too.

Hi,

Do you know about templates?

Greg
load a template is not what i mean. please see video about cubase 10 mix snapshots. it is only 3 min long and explain the feature. it support also effect settings but this is not so important. most important is if can store mute and solo buttons, volume and pan. this is not much work to program and load a snapshot is fast. and compare diffrent mixing or make drums +bass solo for example can do with a single click. it is also important that the snapshots can be named(cubase 10 have this). so have 8 snapshots as samplitude that can not name, after longer time forget what they are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef3I4wb4Q-s
kisslover98

Post by kisslover98 »

i would like to see more color options for tracks
pedrosura

Post by pedrosura »

Midi Phrase Builder:

I would love to have the ability of having a “Midi Phrase Builder” where you would store 1 to say 4 measures of Midi per time signature 4/4 3/4 6/8 etc..
The purpose is to graphically select phrases that came with Mircraft or that are User built so that large midi phrases can be quickly built. This would allow building quickly complex obstinate patterns, arpeggios, drum pattern, base lines, brass phrases, etc..
This phrases would appear with a name a musical notation. For example “4 arpeggiated sixthteen notes pattern” I. 4/4 would have 4 sets of 4 16th notes to make up one measure. Then the user could copy and paste and create string lines...
This could work in connection to other suggestions about saving midi clips..
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

aj113 wrote:Say I solo the bass to hear what it is doing. Now I want to hear it together with the kick drum. Going by your description I have to un-solo the bass, mute all of the tracks in the project, un-mute the bass, then un-mute the kick.
? No, all you'd have to do is unmute the kick. Again to me "solo" means "mute everything except this track." So everything that isn't already muted would be. The way it is now doesn't offer much over the mute button to have much value IMO, or at least not as much as it would as I thought it was. Are all DAWs like that, I don't recall. I guess I just want it to be different. :) Oh well.