Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

andrew7a

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by andrew7a »

The ability to change the width of the piano keys in the Piano Roll.
Thanks. That actually works really well (I'm surprised it works independent of the score zoom). Congrats!
How to change the values of automation e.g. Trying to record volume automation using my MIDI controller is a nightmare using a rotary pot as the values it sends out are so small in increments that it essentially becomes useless. Is there any way to change the values that Mixcraft receives e.g. for every 2 drop in Velocity mixcraft will record 4, 6 drops, etc. Almost like applying pre-Boost to an automation lane?

What kind of MIDI controller do you have? There may be a setting you can change on it to do this. When I automate volume, I don't have that problem.
I'm currently using the Samson Graphite 25.
Option/shortcut key to constrain the mouse to horizontal movement e.g. when editing velocity.

Ctrl+A to select all the notes, then right-click on one to set the velocity for all, or choose the velocity option from the Edit menu. Also, here's a nifty tip you might not know
Yeah I'm aware. Again it comes down to the number of steps involved. For me personally, double-clicking/banner box to select notes and then draw a line is just quicker. Yes I'm aware of that tip. I just think it would be a damn sight easier being able to hold down CTRL for example to draw a straight horizontal/angled line (and keep freehand drawing for peaks/troughs i.e. more freeform).
Drag and drop clips between instances of mixcraft.

You can currently copy and paste between projects within the same instance of Mixcraft. Copying clips between Mixcraft Projects.
Yeah I saw that video. The problem with that method is that you would have to stop working on that current project, save and close it, open up a new one, paste, try to remember the tracks/instruments/settings you were using, save, close and then open up previous project! Fiddly. It would just be nice to be able to have multiple projects open e.g. tabbed within the same instance and just drag between them (hell, if you could drag the entire tracks with all its parameters that would be even better!
Option to set master volume displayed in db e.g -1db rather than as a percentage.
God only knows what I was talking about with this!
The ability to save a project including Clips as a template.

To save as a template, choose "Save As" from the File menu and change the file type to Mixcraft Template.
Yeah this was a minor gripe until I found the option to Load an Existing Project ( a template does not save Clips within it).
Have multiple projects open at the same time.

You can do that now.
How?
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

Selecting 'Windows RT (Exclusive Mode)' under Windows 10 crashes machine.

This is a problem with your audio drivers. Most people don't crash when using exclusive mode with Windows 10. Try updating from the manufacturer's web page. If that doesn't help, you could run Mixcraft in Windows 8 compatibility mode
That's fine. I only tried out Windows 10 for a week so didn't really investigate this.
Why isn't there the option to Copy to Omni Sampler when you right-click on a Clip?

For Omni Sampler, you have the "Slice to..." option.
Again, minor I was referring more to 'One-Shots' i.e. where you wouldn't be slicing.
Why is there a delay between hitting the key and the sound being played?
No idea what I was talking about with this one. Tried it today and even at 256 buffer is fine. Perhaps there was some dead space on a sample I tried it with.
Option to rename folders in Library.
I think I was referring to the existing names e.g. being able to rename 'Afro-Cuban' in Song Kit to "Salsa" for example.
Why are imported sounds saved in UserLibrarySound folder and not default Loop folder chosen at installation? What if I wish to keep all of my audio samples together on an external drive?

When you import the sounds, don't choose the option to copy them to your library and they will be loaded from their original locations instead of being copied.
I don't understand. Do you mean copy the sounds to the default Loop folder prior to importing?
It would be nice if you right-click a sound in the Library and send it to alpha/omni sampler.

You can currently drag and drop them.
Yeah although you would need to have an instance of that open already. Not really a big issue just something I was thinking when going through the Manual.
The ability to drag tracks into another particularly re submix.

You can already drag tracks into a submix. Do you mean that you want the ability to have submix tracks inside of submix tracks?
No. I meant track manipulation within the mixer i.e. being able to move the tracks around.
Set global settings for Performance Panel e.g. Trigger Once for all Clips.

Hit Ctrl+A to select all, then right-click to Trigger Once.
Thanks. I was actually thinking more pre-emptively but that should work.
Have it as a testbed for ideas i.e. completely track independent. For example, drag a guitar riff to the first box of Set 1 as an Intro, have Set 2 for verse, Set 3 for chrous, Set 4 for bridge, etc so that you can gradually drag and drop loops to build up a structure which is independent from the rest of your project and importantly TRACK INDEPENDENT i.e. that it will play the loop or whatever regardless of which 'track' the clip is sitting on in the Performance Panel (essentially like "Copy Selection To Performance Panel" option but for the entire Clip).

It already can be used as a testbed for ideas. The solo button would allow you to be independent of the rest of the project.
The problem is that they are tied to the tracks. Move a MIDI clip up for example and it will go to another instrument. I was thinking of something more freeform perhaps with a touch screen where you could move Clips about with all your fingers (and toes). The other thing that absolutely infuriates me (same with Ableton Live) is that you play a Clip in performance panel and it triggers playback marker in project. I know it seems minor but its just a massive visual annoyance.
Wouldn't it make more sense to be able to use the number keys to switch between tracks?

We're using the number keys as keyboard shortcuts for snap, which is pretty handy, and you'd only be able to switch between 10 tracks.
Yeah I think this is an issue for me in not allowing the user to configure shortcuts. To be honest I don't find keyboard shortcuts for snap to be that advantageous but each to his own. I take your point about the number of tracks unless there could be some sort of plus/minus bank button shortcut although that seems more like midi. But again, minor.
A pause button on Transport!

Pressing the spacebar toggles playback. Not sure how a pause button would be helpful?
The problem with that is that I like to have Auto-Rewind to Start Position When Playback/Recording Ends enabled.
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

Right clicking the FX button opens the plug in gui, which is very handy, but if you have multiple effects chained, it opens them all and you often have to sort through them to find the one you want to work with.
Yep. You're absolutely right. I'd forgotten about that.
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

At this rate, Mixcraft will be in danger of losing its user-friendliness by becoming overcomplicated.
I actually disagree. I don't believe having multiple ways of doing the same thing is a bad idea (after all we're all going to work in a different way). Also a lot of what I have suggested are ways to make things simpler and less convoluted.
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

Okay, a few more requests and then I think I'm done!

It would be nice if you actually type in values e.g. for velocity/default velocity, etc i.e. right-click as you can with fader/pan.
A box at bottom of channel strip showing actual db level.
Option to have the project automatically change tempo/key when dragging in a midi file with Windows Explorer as you would when going down the File_Open.. option (or even a pop-up box to show you the detected tempo/key before importing).
How do you export a single midi clip i.e. a selection rather than the entire track (Why isn't there a 'Use Selection' option when exporting MIDI?).
Finally you can lock a clip but you can still edit the Clip automation. Surely the whole point of locking is to prevent (accidental) editing?

P.S. Any word of when Mixcraft 8 might be released?
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

Please go back to the marker colors before MX7....I use markers to help musicians with song structure and the new pastel markers don't have enough contrast on the dark background. It would be great if we could import our own colors or tweak the available ones.
Thanks ............J
chibear

Post by chibear »

J Gretch wrote:Please go back to the marker colors before MX7....I use markers to help musicians with song structure and the new pastel markers don't have enough contrast on the dark background. It would be great if we could import our own colors or tweak the available ones.
Thanks ............J
Acoustica gave us a hack for Christmas so we can customize to our heart's content in this thread.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

Thank you sir...made my day.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I would like to suggest that maybe this little hint could be a little more obvious. A little bigger, brighter?
Or maybe just more widely known. ( I only recently discovered it after all this time!)

*This small asterisk indicates your project has unsaved changes.

Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Wishlist: Clip gain setting.
discussed here
lo here at 1:20
-h
C# or Bb!
mfkne

Post by mfkne »

I´d like to see

- a professional 2D GUI design with different color schemes to choose from/to design yourself
- A file and plugin/preset browser with full drag and drop (the old browser is too incomplete, too slow and not that well organised)
- object orientated fx + special per clip fx (like in Tracktion 7)
- a chopper tool like in Acid pro
- integrated arpeggiator/chorder
- auto color function for tracks & clips
- function in sampler to play samples not only in higher pitch but in the same tempo as the original
- dockable windows everywhere (not only below)
- possibility to create my own buttons for some functions (like in Reaper)

Best :-)
MiltonRob

Post by MiltonRob »

I'm sure you've heard this one before, but native 5.1 surround support would be amazing...
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

1. Option to toggle inverted colors on selected audio and MIDI clips
2. Ability to control pan information for each note in the piano roll
3. similarly Pitch info (+-12 semitones) the pitch-wheel doesn't really cut it. Sure most uses of this could be accomplished in omnisampler probably but, still, would be nice.
Check out the Mixcraft subreddit
chibear

Post by chibear »

For #2 try CC#10
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Also, the pitch wheel range is determined by the virtual instrument. Some virtual instruments allow you to change the pitch bend range, like MiniMogueVA:

Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101