Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Mark Bliss »

Anorax wrote:And also, enabling the use of send tracks for the individual outputs in multiple-output plugins, such as Kontakt.
Thank you Anorax!
I have pointed out this routing shortcoming repeatedly since several Mixcraft versions ago and was getting the feeling nearly no one else saw it as an issue. And the more I explore workarounds, the more frustrated I get.

Example:
I am currently working on a project using a multi-out VSTi. I want to use a send bus to apply various amounts of compression and another for various amounts of reverb.

Since child tracks cannot be routed to send bus's, I cut/paste each child tracks content to a new native track and then set up send bus's.

But then I want to send the group to a submix.
If I set up the submix and adjust the level fader (for example) the send bus outputs are not changed, so it throws my carefully prepared submix out of whack and I have to go back and readjust the send levels.

The suggested workaround for that is to substitute output bus's for submix bus's.
OK, now I can route send bus outputs along with the group I previously had on a submix into an output bus instead.

Now my "submix" has no mute/solo functions, which is relatively minor, but it would be nice......
But now the output bus appears to be routed to post main fader which creates a whole new set of weird mixing issues.

*The above description can be hard to follow, see my revised graphics in slides 26, 27 and 28 here: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... slide=id.p

And please note that this is based solely on my experiments and observations and is a work in progress. I would appreciate any corrections or comments. I mean no disrespect to Acoustica and don't intend to point any complaints at their efforts, I am just trying to present my case for these feature changes/improvements.
And again, if I have something wrong, I would sure like to know it!

But unless I am missing something simple (Happens a lot) this is just weird and is a pretty serious shortcoming.

So again, my feature suggestion re-worded:
We need the option of routing child tracks to send bus inputs.
AND we need the option of routing send bus outputs to submix channels.

Problem fixed, flexible mixing options available. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Being able to automate effect with an on/off to make adding effect in a specific point in a track. Not all vst have wet, output etc.

M
tooli

Post by tooli »

Hi all

1. I would like to be able to increase or decrease the tempo gradually like the volume envelopes

2. On the piano roll it would help if the highlighted key that is pressed is highlighted from left to right across the screen
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

tooli wrote:Hi all

1. I would like to be able to increase or decrease the tempo gradually like the volume envelopes

2. On the piano roll it would help if the highlighted key that is pressed is highlighted from left to right across the screen
I love both of these suggestions!

Cheers

John
mick

Post by mick »

Excellent suggestion by tooli. I never could figure out why the piano roll in daws are vertical and not horizontal. Who plays the piano sideways apart from Harpo Marx. ? 8)
There is however just one daw but I can't think of it, I'll need to log out then it will appear. :?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

How about a solo/mute exclusive mode?

Heres how it might work:
In Preferences, "Mute/Solo", a check box for "exclusive mode".

With this mode checked you can "switch" a single mute/solo from one channel to another.
Un-checking exclusive mode enables you to mute/solo one or more sources. (As it currently functions.)

Or perhaps it would be more useful if it was toggled by something like a CTRL/Solo for exclusive mode and so forth?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
rchibnik

Post by rchibnik »

Using MC7 with my surface on Win10
Improve touch interface finger sized controls where possible. Scroll, pinch/zoom to access detailed areas of the interface.
Will try to put some more comprehensive thoughts together
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

rchibnik wrote:Using MC7 with my surface...... Improve touch interface
Only if you develop a touch screen specific variant please!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Mark Bliss wrote:
rchibnik wrote:Using MC7 with my surface...... Improve touch interface
Only if you develop a touch screen specific variant please!
You Luddite Mark ! :D :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're probably not going to optimize Mixcraft for touch screen, because it would require all the controls to be really large.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

And so proud of it I'll take that as a compliment! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Mark Bliss wrote:And so proud of it I'll take that as a compliment! 8)
Absolutely how it was meant Mark - wear that badge with pride !!

Seriously I can see the value of using a touch screen to augment a desktop (or laptop) studio set-up. But frankly to try to operate all of the controls necessary on a touch screen would mean it would have to be (as you say) a completely different program. I do use an iPad and have some very good applications (I refuse to call them Apps! shudder!) to use as control surfaces and some good input devices but although the computing power is great on tablets - the interface is far too small to be usable a the primary system - IMHO.

So as well as the Old Farts Club perhaps we should propose the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" club!

Luddites unite!

Cheers

John

Post by 7915983 »

Could we have the ability to have smaller track heights? That way we could see more tracks at a time.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Sami Seif wrote:Could we have the ability to have smaller track heights? That way we could see more tracks at a time.
Did you know you can shift-drag track height to adjust all tracks?

Post by 7915983 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Sami Seif wrote:Could we have the ability to have smaller track heights? That way we could see more tracks at a time.
Did you know you can shift-drag track height to adjust all tracks?

Yeah I know that, what I'm asking for, is the ability to have even smaller tracks (vertically), so that I could see even more tracks at a time, cz some of my projects have more than 40 tracks, so I want to be able to see all the tracks at a time.