Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ian Craig

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Ian Craig »

I just noticed when looking for gain staging plugins (so as not to have to do so much manual adjustment in iZotope RX), just to check which ones I already had, I got side-tracked into gain plugins, such as JST's Gain Reduction Deluxe. Some people, making videos on youtube, seem to think all DAWs have Gain plugins to control levels on each track. Mixcraft doesn't (unless I've missed it). Maybe time it should in version 9 when it comes out. Just a thought :)
To understand the advantages of this one, just watch this short video through to hear how useful it can be :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuV5pt7PXHw
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes to to the suggestion of track input gain trim. If thats what you mean.
Though there are many workarounds if needed, it would be nice if there was some native method. (Beyond the existing clip gain anyway... Which is pretty clunky IMO)

FWIW- Blue Cats gain suite is handy. As are several offerings from Hornet. All either free or very inexpensive. There are others as well if preferred. I like combining a meter with gain control. Handy!

JST's Gain Reduction however isnt really a gain staging tool specifically- though I can see how the name could possibly confuse.
It is a dynamic compressor designed for heavy compression, aimed primarily at use on vocals in "heavy" music. It does have an interesting "purpose designed" nature to it.
But like many plug-ins, it does have input/output level controls that assist in gain staging, if that what you mean.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Mark Bliss wrote:Yes to to the suggestion of track input gain trim. If thats what you mean.
Though there are many workarounds if needed, it would be nice if there was some native method. (Beyond the existing clip gain anyway... Which is pretty clunky IMO)

FWIW- Blue Cats gain suite is handy. As are several offerings from Hornet. All either free or very inexpensive. There are others as well if preferred. I like combining a meter with gain control. Handy!

JST's Gain Reduction however isnt really a gain staging tool specifically- though I can see how the name could possibly confuse.
It is a dynamic compressor designed for heavy compression, aimed primarily at use on vocals in "heavy" music. It does have an interesting "purpose designed" nature to it.
But like many plug-ins, it does have input/output level controls that assist in gain staging, if that what you mean.

:lol: Hi Mark,
yes, I meant I was looking for something to do gain staging when I came across that which obviously isn't but is class though :D
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Ian Craig wrote: :lol: Hi Mark,
yes, I meant I was looking for something to do gain staging when I came across that which obviously isn't but is class though :D
It's on sale for 18.99 here:

https://blowout.jrrshop.com/jst-gain-reduction-deluxe

Regular 59.00
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

well alrighty!

Just FYI, the probable reason that plug in is currently offered at deep discount is that they are currently offering/pushing an updated/superseded/upgraded version 2 that offers more features and flexibility.

Repeat after me.... "No matter how cool it looks, I don't need another plug-in....." :lol:
What I need is to practice and learn more about some of what I already have in my collection! 8)

*I say this as I am eyeballing two current freebies..... Hypocrite. :roll:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

What I need is to practice and learn more about some of what I already have in my collection!
Bingo... That’s what I’m doing, as I still have much to still learn.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Mark Bliss wrote:Repeat after me.... "No matter how cool it looks, I don't need another plug-in....." :lol:
What I need is to practice and learn more about some of what I already have in my collection! 8
Blasphemy! Heretic!!!!!! Filling these young, impressionable minds with such lunacy! Get a hold of yourself man!!!!!! ;)

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Moved off-topic Cherry Audio conversation over here.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Thanks Greg. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

ppayne wrote: 2. Make the UI only a bit more modern as other users says. But please do not lose the good MC usability. Some simple modifikation ideas with great effects could be: a) remove the gradients or glass effects to make it more flat designed,
eh. I guess this is the going trend but not a fan of that flat, boring, Valhalla look. A more 3Dish feel makes it feel like it jumps out at you more, more of a "tactile" feel if you know what I mean.
b) remove the really old school wood bars from the mixer and simply replace it with a carbon pattern or something like this,

phlhlhlhlbbbt. I like the wood grain. I'm sick of everything being this drab, boring gray muck on nearly all DAWs now. Maybe make it so you can click it on or off (or have diff "skins" some with it some not)?
c) make the dialog for choosing Instruments a bit more attractive in font sizes and colors. This dialog is high frequently used and looks currently a bit like a linux commandline editor.
That I could go with, though it's way down the list of desired changes.
3. Better sounding VST effects would be nice (reverb, delay etc.) and a bit more interessting UI for this built-in effects.
You're crazy. :wink: One of the things I like about MC is that their built-in VSTs are IMO very good.
jossomjod

Post by jossomjod »

You know how you can automate literally any knob in any synth or effekt?
And how the more advanced synths have matrices where you can set up an envelope, LFO, or step sequencer to adjust knobs and settings automatically?

Imagine if you had a matrix in mixcraft where you could set up an envelope, LFO, or step sequencer to manipulate ANY knob in ANY synth or effect the same way automation does.
This would make even the most basic synth or effect much more powerful.

Also, right clicking to eraze notes in the piano roll would be nice.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

jossomjod wrote:You know how you can automate literally any knob in any synth or effekt?
And how the more advanced synths have matrices where you can set up an envelope, LFO, or step sequencer to adjust knobs and settings automatically?

Imagine if you had a matrix in mixcraft where you could set up an envelope, LFO, or step sequencer to manipulate ANY knob in ANY synth or effect the same way automation does.

Hello and welcome to the Mixcraft forum.

On the same note... You might find Voltage Nucleus from Cherry Audio fun and interesting and right now it's also FREE too.

Check it out: http://www.anthonyshomestudio.com/2019/
- Joe -

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

jossomjod wrote:You know how you can automate literally any knob in any synth or effekt?

Hi,

You should check out Mixcraft 8's Audio Control feature. You can use audio from any track to control any plugin parameter. It's a powerful feature that most people aren't paying attention to.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jossomjod

Post by jossomjod »

Acoustica Greg wrote: You should check out Mixcraft 8's Audio Control feature. You can use audio from any track to control any plugin parameter. It's a powerful feature that most people aren't paying attention to.
I know about Audio Control (I have watched most of the video tutorials). You can do the same things with Audio Control and Automation. The difference is that some things require less work to do with Audio Control than with Automation, and vice versa. What I'm talking about would make it a lot easier to do certain things which require lots of work to do otherwise.

Say, for instance, that you have a punchy bass, but you want to make it sound more interesting by quickly reducing, then increasing the pitch at the beginning of every note. Let's say the synth you want to use is incapable of doing this. With Automation you would have to automate the pitch change and copy/paste it to every single note. With Audio Control you could (to more accurately model an actual envelope) use the volume envelope of another synth to control the pitch, but you would have to make sure there always are notes in the controlling track in the same places as the notes in the bass track.

With the matrix idea you could simply add a new envelope, assign it to controlling the pitch of the bass, and adjust the ADSR as needed. Done. You now have a cooler sounding bass than that synth ever could have made on its own.

Anyway, maybe it's just me, but I would love to see this feature in Mixcraft 9.
I hope you'll consider it. Thanks.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

The ability to quickly save, recall and store several different mixes of a recording project BEFORE committing to mixing down to MP3, Wave, etc files
- Joe -