Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

topstan

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by topstan »

GrizzKarizz wrote:Oh man....

Please!!!! Mixcraft please!! I'd really, really, really like for there to be tempo automation (envelopes) made available. If it already is, then please let me know where it is. I hate having to work it all out when it can be done using envelopes in other programs. Even Guitar Pro 6 has it.

I've been asking for it since before Mixcraft 7. I was told it may be available in 7.5, but still no. And now in 8 it's still not here.

I really love this program but this is a real downer.
I would like to give this a major "Bump!". My history is the same as GrizzKarizz. I have been looking for this feature through several versions of Mixcraft. I am currently sitting here with a mix I just can't finish because it needs a ritard at the end. I may be forced to port it over to Studio One (which I have) to get it finished. Not my favorite solution. Mixcraft 9? (or will it be Mixcraft-X?) -- Topstan
bob53050

Post by bob53050 »

Thanks Greg, you rock :)
chibear

Post by chibear »

topstan wrote:
GrizzKarizz wrote:Oh man....

Please!!!! Mixcraft please!! I'd really, really, really like for there to be tempo automation (envelopes) made available. If it already is, then please let me know where it is. I hate having to work it all out when it can be done using envelopes in other programs. Even Guitar Pro 6 has it.

I've been asking for it since before Mixcraft 7. I was told it may be available in 7.5, but still no. And now in 8 it's still not here.

I really love this program but this is a real downer.
I would like to give this a major "Bump!". My history is the same as GrizzKarizz. I have been looking for this feature through several versions of Mixcraft. I am currently sitting here with a mix I just can't finish because it needs a ritard at the end. I may be forced to port it over to Studio One (which I have) to get it finished. Not my favorite solution. Mixcraft 9? (or will it be Mixcraft-X?) -- Topstan
Depending on the length of the ritard you can create a convincing one using markers. Again, depending on the situation, it could take quite a few. I have found that a change of no more than 3 bpm per marker will make it smooth.

That being said, I would also support some sort of tempo envelopes (preferably with curves ;) )
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

SYS EX support Like Cubase and Sonar
This will be the daw to beat then.
Some of us have Genos keyboards ,Tyros etc

We like to play and record and have compatibility
This Is where Presonus fails as well

Mixcraft Is such an easy daw to get to grips with and SYS EX support will turn it into a monster program.

Some of us are just not Lego brick buliders. We like to play and do minor edits
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have two (Mixcraft 9) suggestions for today, not completely new, not exactly repeats.
We could call them suggestion updates or expansions?

One is RE: the Acoustica Pro Reverb-
I suggest the combination of a GUI update to include more visual increments/scale for the control knobs.
Second would be for settings to appear when hovering over the knobs.
Both would work hand in hand......
Example: High cut filter- a low of 2K and a high of 18K leaves me guessing as to what the levels in between are.
Next, the "bass boost" filter. I am not sure I understand the intent or function, or what exactly it is doing....
I generally want to cut low end from my reverb, but what frequency etc. is this knob working at?
Wouldn't a Low cut filter arrangement with frequency and amount, similar to the High cut be more universally useful?
verbfilter.png
verbfilter.png (62.86 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Suggestion two: Normalization.
As it is, we have no option. The default is to normalize to 0dBfs which I find of little use for the most part.
Most other well known DAW's at this point appear to offer a definable amount.
My request would expand on that and include the option to choose not only the level, but to choose between peak and RMS.
Getting greedy it would be really nice to have the option to "apply to all selected tracks" batch mode or similar.

Example idea from DAW XYZ-
Normalize.png
Normalize.png (177.92 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
This would aid greatly in simplifying and saving time when gain staging, and do so without any need for any clunky third party utility plug in for the purpose.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

I have a couple of suggestions for MIDI editing.

In Score view:
* Allow multiselect
* When dragging the selected notes up and down or using the cursor up/down move the notes based on the selected key making it effectively a diatonic transposition tool

In Piano Roll view:
Add a switch that blocks the non-key notes (the gray ones) from being usable:
- no drawing notes on gray keys
- when moving a selection up or down force notes to the next one that is not gray
(also effectively creating a diatonic transposition tool)

:D
mick

Post by mick »

That sounds like a good idea but there would need to be a hot key to allow accidentals, ie -- notes not belonging to the scale so that takes us almost back to square one but its still a good idea. 8)
mick

Post by mick »

We/I/ still need a way to show which midi instrument (track) is being edited / instrument changed. I recently abandoned something because I had VB3 on track one assigned to upper keyboard and a second VB3 assigned to a lower keyboard, I changed everything on the lower and discovered I'd changed the upper instead so it meant starting all over again, I shut down Mixcraft and used another daw, the frustration was killing me and its such a silly situation that should not be possible. It happens over and over. :?
The potential for Mixcraft is huge but its not there yet because no-one listens to midi suggestions (apparently)!
Mixcraft 5,6,7 or 8 the midi is virtually the same.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I wont disagree with many of the suggestions for MIDI editing upgrades and workflow improving features, but-

I find it helps me if I name the tracks (or clips) so it appears in the editor here:
MIDI track names1.png
MIDI track names1.png (28.69 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
MIDI track names2.png
MIDI track names2.png (28.56 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
*Note: I don't recall how this might apply if you are working with lanes. I avoid it if at all possible for a handful of reasons.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mick

Post by mick »

Mark commented
I don't recall how this might apply if you are working with lanes. I avoid it if at all possible for a handful of reasons.
I found using lanes a nightmare, it takes forever to set up all the midi channels and doesn't show the midi information the way an instrument track will, ie - piano roll notes, lanes do not show in the piano roll. Its sort of hidden information referring to additional channels that are piggy backed on to the main instrument track/vsti. Its better to open multiple instances of a vst. For instance:- Miroslav Philharmonic. You can have separate tracks for pizzicato, lagato, Cello, Viola, Piano etc all from this one vsti and each track (midi channel) can be edited in the PR. With lanes all this is missing. Opening multiple instances of the same vsti uses the same computer power as a single instance with each instance editable.
This is one example of what I refer to when I say Mixcraft has potential (and truckloads of it) but not there yet, for me lanes are not for detailed midi editing, whatever you edit on the main track it affects all midi channels/lanes together. Unless I got it wrong and need some more education?
Mixcraft needs a Halionsonic type of module or modify the existing system, The existing system is superior to nearly all other daws because it allows for keyboard range/octave range and more. Include draw automation curves, SYS EX, tempo track, click track, display several midi channels in the piano roll for editing one channel/track against another, floating transport controls, and few other things. Then Mixcraft can start beating its chest, its time to start playing catchup. I say all this with good intentions because I can see what Mixcraft can be whilst the devs are either not interested or oblivious to what can be. As I said previously, Mixcraft 5,6,7,and 8 have hardly any difference between them in the midi department.
chibear

Post by chibear »

wtg mick :!:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
joanmale

Post by joanmale »

What about many different mixers? is it possible to add vintage mixers "color" to the in box mix? mixers can be bought separately, for example, vintage SSL with same EQ, or studer 24CH tape recorder and mixer, is the technology able to do that today? i know there are some plugins, but a complete solution in one mixer.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes and please!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
MiltonRob

Post by MiltonRob »

One that I have to ask for.... I have templates created with a bunch of submix busses, I would love to be able to drag and drop my wav files from windows explorer onto the bus and have them appear under the corresponding bus. For example when i get a project from a different daw, I would love to be able to take all the guitar parts, drag them onto my guitar bus and have the tracks created there... Just a wish :)
Zense

Post by Zense »

Hi,

I like working with this DAW.

but... "Mixcraft doesn't have a built-in option to record the MIDI output of a virtual instrument."

And that is the only thing I really miss, cause it´s no good for creative workflow.

(For example: Routing a Track with a Midi Lane to another Track, armed with for exemple an arpeggiator like "Nora" and an Virtual Instrument, I can´t record the output midi notes...

Thanks,