Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Mark Bliss »

westjensontexas wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:15 am I would appreciate a gain trim and HP filter at the input of every channel strip, as would be found on a hardware mixing console.
There is a gain trim knob available in the channel strips of MX9.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 pm Still relatively new to Mixcraft (9 RS since Apr and 9 Pro since Sep). Was always old school with sequencers and drum machines so....

1. The ability to build drum and bass loops more easily to build song tracks with perhaps the ability to save them in the library?
2. Assigning more than one sound to a track so as to play them together.
3. On a trivial note, having a different colour slider for the main clip grid would be nice.
1: Is this a two in one request or just not clear?
The suggestion of creating a better way to add personal midi clips/files to the library is not new.
Though as of yet I have not seen a method that is significantly better than just using your own folders.

2: Unless I misunderstand you, that has been possible since.... Forever.

3: I have no idea what you mean. "Main clip grid"?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Mark Bliss wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:15 pm
Mr.Mxyzptlk wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 pm Still relatively new to Mixcraft (9 RS since Apr and 9 Pro since Sep). Was always old school with sequencers and drum machines so....

1. The ability to build drum and bass loops more easily to build song tracks with perhaps the ability to save them in the library?
2. Assigning more than one sound to a track so as to play them together.
3. On a trivial note, having a different colour slider for the main clip grid would be nice.
1: Is this a two in one request or just not clear?
The suggestion of creating a better way to add personal midi clips/files to the library is not new.
Though as of yet I have not seen a method that is significantly better than just using your own folders.

2: Unless I misunderstand you, that has been possible since.... Forever.

3: I have no idea what you mean. "Main clip grid"?
1. I guess it is possible but as I said I'm more used to working with 'patterns' particularly for the bass and drum tracks. it would be nice if I could build a 4-bar pattern say, then just save it within Mixcraft.
2. I'm just talking about within Mixcraft itself. Unless I'm missing something obvious, I can't see how I can play two tracks at the same time. I don't have any external controllers at the moment.
3. To be honest, I've noticed in Pro Studio that the scroll bar in the main clip grid is lighter than it was in Recording Studio so this is not so much of an issue now but I've only been using it about 3 weeks in fairness.

These may ultimately end up being pointless requests but am still getting used to the DAW.

I believe the proper name is the main clip grid!

i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
RaveyDavey

Post by RaveyDavey »

On point 2, create a lane in the track. Example below is from the Mixcraft 9 library

example,
Screenshot 2020-10-18 142139.png
Screenshot 2020-10-18 142139.png (44.89 KiB) Viewed 33566 times
RaveyDavey

Post by RaveyDavey »

One Mixcraft suggestion:

The ability to assign your own key combinations to the Mixcraft menu options - I've been using the Sound Tab a lot recently and being able to use my own key sequence instead of right clicking then Hide Details Area would have been handy.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I call it the "arranger view" and I think that is the common term used in the users guide. Other DAW's may have other terminology, but I've seen it called that elsewhere as well.

But I am still not sure what you are asking for...

On #2, you can "stack" virtual instruments to create a sound if thats what you mean.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

RaveyDavey wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 am On point 2, create a lane in the track. Example below is from the Mixcraft 9 library

example,
Screenshot 2020-10-18 142139.png
That doesn't solve my problem? I need this to work with the virtual instruments. So for clarity, if I wanted to combine a piano sound with a string sound and play it from the Mixcraft virtual keyboard, how could I achieve this? I guess it's like the Performance Mode on a synth rather than the Voice Mode where I would just layer different sounds to create new ones.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Mark Bliss wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:34 am I call it the "arranger view" and I think that is the common term used in the users guide. Other DAW's may have other terminology, but I've seen it called that elsewhere as well.

But I am still not sure what you are asking for...

On #2, you can "stack" virtual instruments to create a sound if thats what you mean.

That's exactly what I mean but I can't see how it is done. See reply above.

As for #3, I was referring to this and the slider at the bottom of the grid.

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ah! I was wrong!
I see the users guide DOES call it the "main clip grid" after all!
Silly me. :lol:

I think one thing you are talking about is the "scroll bar" which is also currently the topic of another thread.
The contrast was improved in recent builds.

Stacking instruments-
If you open the "change instrument" dialog, you can place more than one in the slots, which will be played by the tracks midi input.
I think that does what you want, but I am not certain.

I cant post an image right now, but will later...
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Ha ha, no worries. It's only because I've recently had my nose in the user manual is how I know. :D As for the 'scroll bar', it was pretty bad in Recording Studio but since upgrading it's definitely better.

I will have another look at the 'change instrument' function but if I can get to the bottom of this that would be awesome.

Many thanks by the way.
creativeforge

Micro-location of tracks with numbers

Post by creativeforge »

I remember in Cakewalk, I could right-click a track clip, and see its exact location in numerical numbers. I could then cut and paste it to another track if I wanted to, and it would go perfectly at the same spot.

Or, I could duplicate a track snippet and cut (split) and paste that exactly at the same spot on another track if needed. Because I could dial-in the exact location, down to the minute, seconds and microseconds.

I can't find this option in Mixcraft. Is it missing, or am I the one who's missing it?

Thanks!

Andre
Last edited by creativeforge on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

If you Shift drag a clip it retains its vertical position
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

trevlyns wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:01 am If you Shift drag a clip it retains its vertical position
Great! Now if I wanted to align using numbers, that can't be done, correct?

Andre
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

creativeforge wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:54 am
trevlyns wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:01 am If you Shift drag a clip it retains its vertical position
Great! Now if I wanted to align using numbers, that can't be done, correct?

Andre
The location of a clip can be found on the sound tab in the Offset setting. Depending on whether you're using Time or Beats for the timeline, it shows the time or the bar where the clip is located.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
notnotant

Post by notnotant »

Hi Everyone!

Firstly, I just wanted to say I love Mixcraft, it's fantastic! I'm coming over from Cubase and was wondering if a system similar to the Tempo Track Editor might be something others would find useful as well?
tte.png
tte.png (60.84 KiB) Viewed 33444 times
I know Mixcraft provides markers to adjust tempo and time signature however it felt a little clunky to use. With the tempo track editor I can very easily use the drawing tool to mark out the points on the bars where I want to change, and if needs be, insert a different time signature at the top of the graph. This is great for songs which are constantly changing BPM and time signatures.

All the best,

Ant