Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

chibear

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by chibear »

Number 4! #4! #4!
And curves!!
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Ah, yes, as Ian says, an event list, somewhere, would be very useful
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

Ian Craig wrote:
4) Splines for controller window under piano roll
chibear wrote:Number 4! #4! #4!
And curves!!
I've not tried this out, but just stumbled across it .. might this fix the problem?

http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiCurve

chibear

Post by chibear »

Unfortunately all the links to it seem dead.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

chibear wrote:Unfortunately all the links to it seem dead.
The IPH plugins are still available here:

https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads

To get the whole set, you need to grab both the pizmidi* and pizjuce* files for your operating system.
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

rrichard63 wrote:
chibear wrote:Unfortunately all the links to it seem dead.
The IPH plugins are still available here:

https://code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads

To get the whole set, you need to grab both the pizmidi* and pizjuce* files for your operating system.
In a slightly eye-friendlier format than that archive page ... Here's the spline drawing thingie

http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiCurve

(to download, click the white "(Windows VST)" caption below the graphic)

and here's the main page with the Piz Midi collection and other midi plugs, including some you might find interesting fort orchetrsal stuff -- spmething which splits the notes of chords out by channel, so you can quickly spread out a chord over, say, a string quartet

http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

rrichard, do you have his presets? I'd wanted to load in the ones for the midichord plugin but the folder it points me to has only text files, whereas his presets are in another format (I think maybe *.fxb?)

Any ideas what "Piz" means?
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Interesting, I'll get round to trying the Piz thing some day, I've had it (possibly) installed for ages I think, but I could never rember what it was all about. ... No, I have no idea what Piz means ... Anyway ...

(6) The ability to Lock the position of the controller window under the Piano Roll and the Piano Roll together (as well as making the time signature display of the controller window match that of the Piano Roll and Track view when the time signature changes within a project)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Hi, I found that colors and graphics can be changed and even swapped (color for graphic) by editing the skin file. In fact, I'd like to see...

1. ALL screen fonts editable (color, size and typeface). Currently some are not.

2. A color menu in Preferences for the many colors in mixskin.ini. Maybe few people know or dare to change this file.

3. After 56 pages and 800+ posts mostly related to v8, can we start a new topic for suggestions?
And if possible... make Suggestions a sticky so it doesn't get lost in the mix?

Thanks!
Last edited by sjoens on Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Here is a easy one, make the comments section on the Project tab larger with larger font size. There is definitely room. I tend to write a lot of notes and comments in case I do not get back to the project for a while. A little help for us old people who do not see so good.
bombaycharlie

Post by bombaycharlie »

Hi, it would be great to create our own keyboard shortcuts.
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

GovernmentMule wrote:Here is a easy one, make the comments section on the Project tab larger with larger font size. There is definitely room. I tend to write a lot of notes and comments in case I do not get back to the project for a while. A little help for us old people who do not see so good.
This might help ... it's a free VST notepad.

http://www.codefn42.com/vstnotepad/index.html
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

It would be really great to have, perhaps next to the "Activate" check box at the top of the pop-up window for each audio effect plugin, a 0% (dry) to 100% (wet) knob.
lingyai

Post by lingyai »

I'm working more and more in the piano roll roll view and while I like it a lot in many respects, this screenshot shows the first "what were the developers thinking?" thing I've found in Mixcraft.

Sorry if the details / hand-drawn red circles and arrows are hard to see in this screenshot; if need be, zoom in (in Chrome with Ctrl and +) or here's a link to the image itself

https://www.dropbox.com/s/36269hwegmk3x ... s.JPG?dl=0

Basically it shows that

--in the track view, correctly, the Loop Start marker appears at bar marker 11 (approximately), and the Loop End marker appears at bar 16;

-- but in the piano roll, the Loop Start marker appears at bar marker 1, and the Loop End marker appears at bar 42. These markers have nothing to do with reality.

This is just wrong on the face of it, and this actually matters, it's confusing as heck. If the piano roll is undocked and full screen, the user has to know to ignore these incorrect markers, and remember what the right ones are.

At the very least, the loop region needs to be shown correctly in the piano roll view. This is less of a feature request and more of a bug report.

Back to feature requests ... please, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread,

--make the timeline units in the piano roll view match those for the corresponding data in the piano roll view; there's no good reason I can think of to have them differ.

-- please show all markers in both views.

Last but not least, please allow us to set the loop points within the piano roll; again, working in a full screen piano roll, I have to change views to the track view everytime I want to adjust the loop points, and it's kind of a workflow buzz-kill. There seems be enough screen real estate at the top of the piano roll view for a a marker "lane" like the one in the track view, and it is a quite basic control.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The two sets of loop markers have different functions. In the track view, you are using the playback loop markers. When these are activated, you play the project, and the entire project loops.

In the Piano Roll view, you are using loop markers that determine which section of the clip appears on a track. They also control how a clip repeats when you drag its edge to the right. Let's say you have an audio clip that you want to repeat seamlessly, but there's a bit of audio at the end that you don't want in the loop. You could drag the end loop marker to the left to exclude the unwanted section of audio, and then when you drag the end of the clip to the right, only the section between the loop makers appears on the track.

Remember that the Sound tab is showing you the detail view of a single clip, so there's not a direct correlation with the timeline in the track view.

Does that make sense?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

The two sets of loop markers have different functions. In the track view, you are using the playback loop markers. When these are activated, you play the project, and the entire project loops.

In the Piano Roll view, you are using loop markers that determine which section of the clip appears on a track. They also control how a clip repeats when you drag its edge to the right. Let's say you have an audio clip that you want to repeat seamlessly, but there's a bit of audio at the end that you don't want in the loop. You could drag the end loop marker to the left to exclude the unwanted section of audio, and then when you drag the end of the clip to the right, only the section between the loop makers appears on the track.

Remember that the Sound tab is showing you the detail view of a single clip, so there's not a direct correlation with the timeline in the track view.

Does that make sense?

Greg
Hi Greg,

Yes, this does make sense. However, it does mean that what you are saying is that Mixcraft has a Piano Roll based Clip Editor and that it does not have a traditional Piano Roll Editor at all.
This is not good news.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6