Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GregRBand

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by GregRBand »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
GregRBand wrote:How are things looking for Mixcraft 8 release team?
I may stir the pot a little here, but I truly want to know...... Are there any plans to adapt Mixcraft to OS X like I just read the news Cakewalk is finally doing with Sonar? Yes, I have a win 10 laptop with Mixcaft on it, but my main use computer is an iMac running El Capitan, and even though it's an older one (2008), it runs like a champ with almost all DAW's and plugins I've thrown at it.....within reason of track load and such of course..... But hey, it was had for $300 from another studio guy, what can I say! ;)

We don't currently have plans to make a Mac version of Mixcraft, but some people use Mixcraft on Macs with products like Apple Bootcamp, Parallels Desktop and Crossover Mac.

Thanks. Was just wondering. No big deal, but thought of Mixcraft when I read the news the other day...........
It works great on PC, so it's all good. A year ago I saw you mentioned the version 8 was a year or so away...... How's that coming/looking?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mixcraft 8 is coming along great! Some of the major features are already in, although we're not ready to announce them yet. Native side-chaining is one of them.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Mixcraft 8 is coming along great! Some of the major features are already in, although we're not ready to announce them yet. Native side-chaining is one of them.
Where's that 'like' button when you need it? Awesome!

M
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

OK. I thought I'd covered everything with my previous posts but I've been working a lot recently with midi loops and have a few more suggestions.

1. When dragging and dropping in midi files using Windows Explorer have a pop-up window option showing the detected tempo and an option to change the project tempo accordingly (like in REAPER).
2. The ability to set a default save folder for audio and midi separately e.g. mixing down to mp3 opens up one folder, exporting to midi opens up another. I like to keep different file types separate and have found it so easy to accidentally export audio to my midi and vice versa.
3. The option e.g. in Edit to have the selection be based on the loop rather than the selection banner e.g. Edit_Select Loop rather than having to constantly redraw the selection banner when choosing a time selection (it obviously helps that the loop points can be moved separately left and right although I think i've asked for that option for the selection banner in the past).
4. A grab tool to be able to move contained midi within a Clip left and right in the main project window. This would help enormously when trying to quickly sort out timing issues (it would be nice to be able to do it with audio clips as well).
5. Having tooltips built-in to midi editor e.g. showing shortcut keys to constrain notes horizontally/vertically, etc; shortcut to duplicate etc.
6. Right-click in Track header column to insert new track (minor I know).
7. Have the new track(s) inserted BELOW selected track (most of us probably work downwards so having it inserted above is contradictory to workflow?).
8. Why doesn't Punch-In start from where the Caret is located (assuming no selection/loop present)?
9. Why does when dragging in a midi file also create an audio track?
10. Please give us the option to turn off/disable asking if I wish to save the project before exporting/mixing down etc. Its a good idea and its certainly something that should be present but when working with dozens of loops/tracks it can become really annoying when all you're wanting to do is to save a loop rather than an entire project.

Also, I don't know if this is a limitation with midi or what but how come there isn't an option to only export a selection of midi on a track?

Anyway regardless still enjoying mixcraft. I went away from it for a bit and was using REAPER but it always brings a smile to my face at just how easy and fun mixcraft makes a lot of things.
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

I would also like to see better automation display e.g. multiple automation lanes ala Samplitude with expand/collapse option or preferably have a single automation display but have each type of automation curve and point given its own colour so you can quickly see all the automation applied to that track. I've mentioned this before but being able to cut and paste automation points to another lane, temporarily disable automation, etc.
Tranceprod Dan

Post by Tranceprod Dan »

Would be nice to make it so that when an audio clip completely eclipses another one it still has that crosshatch pattern letting you know that multiple audio clips are stacked. Noticed this when I realized I had 2 identical clips stacked and it didn't create any weird phase issues when in the mix so I didn't notice it for a bit

Can be seen here: http://i.imgur.com/bmxOcdv.gif

Next one I'm not sure if it's a bug but currently if you try to click and drag audio or midi clips from the right hand side and slide the clip it jumps pretty far instead of snapping to the adjacent grid line. tested in mixcraft 4 and it doesn't do this and I can't recall if M7 always did this or not.

Can be seen here: http://i.imgur.com/GMOILwV.gif

Cheers!
Check out the Mixcraft subreddit
Slimy

Post by Slimy »

This has probably been suggested before, but it would be great if you could see a piano roll for the master track, with notes from every track. Perhaps with a drop down list for unchecking certain instruments like percussion. This would make sour notes much easier to spot.

Perhaps there could also be an option to "ghost" notes from other instruments onto the piano roll of a track you are currently editing.

(Would pay for a new version with these abilities! :wink: )
corebe

Post by corebe »

Haven't read through all of the suggestions so please excuse me if this has already been suggested.

It is very simple, I would like to see an lyrics track to add to my musical tracks for my songwriting.

Thanks
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

corebe wrote:Haven't read through all of the suggestions so please excuse me if this has already been suggested.

It is very simple, I would like to see an lyrics track to add to my musical tracks for my songwriting.

Thanks
Check out this video: Mixcraft Mini Tip - How To Create Your Own Karaoke Videos
joemac58

Post by joemac58 »

I would say native side chaining and audio routing and routing of Sub Groups to another subgroup.
corebe

Post by corebe »

Greg,

Thanks very much for taking the time to share this idea.

Unfortunately it is a pretty tedious work around compared to what can be done in Band-in-a-Box which has both 'line based' and 'note based' lyric entry. This would be much more what I would love to see added to Mixcraft.

see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joU7xrWDXbQ

Best,

Carl
WhiRz

Post by WhiRz »

Probably a better zoom on the audio files in Mixcraft could be a good idea. As the good zoom from Soundforge and Pro Tools.
By this, Mixcraft could be used for detailed editing in voice-over things. And thus, reach more professionals.
mick

Post by mick »

Just thought I'd throw this into the hat . . .

Everyone sometimes jots something down on paper that needs to be saved, and elaborating on this but musically could have some merit.
There are times when I get an idea for something but have no way of getting it down to use later. Saving/closing/opening a new project is not really an option, by the time I've done all that the idea has gone! If in the middle of a project it would be handy (I think) to have a "musical notepad" to use while the idea is still there - an idea, whether midi or wave could be put into the "notepad" and used later. So basically its an idea to save drum patterns, guitar riff's, chord progression, or even a snippet cut from a track, or even a video snip. All useful stuff, so its also a "comping bin", and in time it would grow into a collection to be accessed at will regardless of any project that's open, and inserted in that project. 8)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

mick wrote:Just thought I'd throw this into the hat . . .

Everyone sometimes jots something down on paper that needs to be saved, and elaborating on this but musically could have some merit.
There are times when I get an idea for something but have no way of getting it down to use later. Saving/closing/opening a new project is not really an option, by the time I've done all that the idea has gone! If in the middle of a project it would be handy (I think) to have a "musical notepad" to use while the idea is still there - an idea, whether midi or wave could be put into the "notepad" and used later. So basically its an idea to save drum patterns, guitar riff's, chord progression, or even a snippet cut from a track, or even a video snip. All useful stuff, so its also a "comping bin", and in time it would grow into a collection to be accessed at will regardless of any project that's open, and inserted in that project. 8)
You could do that with the performance panel, assuming you aren't using the performance panel for anything else.
mick

Post by mick »

Hi Greg, It looks like I wasn't very clear with the explanation so I'll try and clarify.

If I get an idea it would be useful to have somewhere to store it - not specifically to be used in that project but accessed from any project. An example would be to drag a midi or wave snip directly into the library where it can be put into some other project. If I put something into the PP it stays pretty dead within that project only. - Have a nice day. :D