Recording latency..

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Harry7139

Recording latency..

Post by Harry7139 »

Love Mixcraft.... just updated to 7 but seem to be having a problem regarding latency.. My computer is 64 bit, Intel I -7 processor, 3.4 GZ quad core, 16 GB ram, 2 internal Seagate Barracuda 2TB hard drives running Windows 8.1. This computer is for recording only so there are minimumal services and programs running - no antivirus as I do not use internet features. I record at 44.1 / 24 bit and all settings are synced accordingly.

My interface is a Focusrite Scarlet 18-I using my USB 2.0 connection and the latest ASIO drivers... I usually have my latency settings at 128 and have no issues with recording or playback when running my other DAW... however I prefer Mixcraft as it accepts both my 32 and 64 bit VST's. Here is my issue :

After I have recorded a few basic acoustic guitar tracks and a vocal track with minimal VST processing, I try to add a lead guitar track and it records and plays back fine... except it is totally out of sync.. not only late, but in varying speeds as well, so it is impossible to compensate for latency by nudging the track a little... Have no idea why... Also the audio playback starts to get a lot of breakup and sputtering on playback after more than a few tracks are recorded. At the time this occurs my Mixcraft useage is around 8% and my system is at about 12%. The only way I can get it to play back without sputtering and crackling is to reset the latency to around 10 MS - which makes it impossible to record at that setting.. The 128 settings work fine in my other DAW but I am limited to using the few 64 bit VST's I have. It's a real pain to have to constantly change latency settings in Mixcraft... I'm hoping someone can give me some advice :)

Thank you :) :D
davefk

Re: Recording latency..

Post by davefk »

What asio drivers are you using? The Focusrite ones? Have you tried ASIO4ALL? :D

Post by 7915983 »

Why don't you just edit the trgcks that are off? I know it's a pain but it's also necessary.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Harry
The description creates a puzzle. The fact that you are having different results with the same hardware, but two different software programs is interesting. Out of curiousity, what is the other DAW you mention?
The playback problem, or "sputtering" as you describe it, clearly sounds like a buffering issue, and your computer specs as provided should minimize that.
The recording delay, especially given the described varying delay, doesnt fit the description of latency per se, but sounds possibly more like a sample conversion issue to me.
As a test, I would suggest trying the 32 bit version of Mixcraft, and obviously, only 32 bit VST's. See if that portion of the problem changes.
Please keep us posted as to what you find!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Harry7139

Post by Harry7139 »

Thank you for all the advice:) I am using the most current Focusrite drivers downloaded directly from their website.. I have used asio-for-all in the past... Being as that is basically a "generic" type of driver I felt that the latest driver from the manufacturer would suit me best... however that is surely worth a try so I will give it a shot :) The "other DAW" I use is Mackie Tracktion 6, 64 bit, which I upgraded from version 4... I have recorded in excess of 20 tracks at times, which all record and play back with no problem.. One of my drives (F) is a designated audio drive where my VST folders and project folders reside.. The other (C Drive) is strictly system.. However, Tracktion, although a nice DAW, is rather weak in feature comparisons to Mixcraft 7... mainly it only accesses my 64 bit plugins which are a little sparse (Addictive drums, Melodyne, and a handful of rather lame trackion vsts).. It offers limited rendering (wave only) and has no burn features... I have tried Jbridge with little success..

I am resolved to figure this out so I may use Mixcraft... It has so many great features and its wonderful to have so many great tools at my disposal... I will also try the 32 bit version instead of the 64.. Can both versions be installed at the same time or do I need to unistall 64 first?

Again, thank you all for your suggestions.. I sincerely appreciate each one and will try them all... with a little patience and time I believe I can figure this out :) I am new to Windows 8, so it may be a problem within the OS itself as well... or possibly the Focusrite Mixcontrol software for Zero Latency monitoring.. Funny, I record my parts in perfect timing with the zero latency monitoring but they come out around 20 MS off and are actually a bit faster and slower in parts..

Anyway, Thank you Mixcraft for such an amazing DAW... I look forward to creating many great projects with MS7.. I will post my solution once I figure it all out :) I just hope it isn't something silly and makes me look like a fool... sometimes it's hard to see the forest through all the trees...lol

Harry :)
Pete Stobbs

Post by Pete Stobbs »

Harry,

I use the Scarlett solo on a Win 8.1 (AMD chip) USB 3 no problems with latency.

Check this out.It may help?

http://beta.focusrite.com/
Win 8.1
8 gig ram
AMD A4 6210 1.8 GHz
Focusrite solo.
Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 5 head.
Blackstar ID30 TVP

https://soundcloud.com/pete-stobbs
https://soundcloud.com/toltec-jive
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Harry7139 wrote:
I am resolved to figure this out so I may use Mixcraft... It has so many great features and its wonderful to have so many great tools at my disposal... I will also try the 32 bit version instead of the 64.. Can both versions be installed at the same time or do I need to unistall 64 first?
Absolutely no problem at all
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Harry7139 wrote:... I will also try the 32 bit version instead of the 64.. Can both versions be installed at the same time or do I need to uninstall 64 first?
No need to uninstall, yes you can install both
Harry7139 wrote:it may be a problem within the OS itself as well... or possibly the Focusrite Mixcontrol software for Zero Latency monitoring.. Funny, I record my parts in perfect timing with the zero latency monitoring but they come out around 20 MS off and are actually a bit faster and slower in parts..
Latency, as generally described, is the delay in monitoring and shouldn't change upon playback, certainly not in varying amounts. This is why I suggest it might be something else.
Another curious question, are you monitoring with processing applied or are VST's only applied on playback?
Harry7139 wrote:I will post my solution once I figure it all out :) I just hope it isn't something silly and makes me look like a fool... sometimes it's hard to see the forest through all the trees...lol

Harry :)
It probably is something as simple as a setting, and you will be in good company if it is something silly. :wink:
Keep us posted on your progress. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Harry7139

Post by Harry7139 »

Hi all.... while I don't think I have found a definitive answer to my problem... I believe I have found one that works :) Yes, indeed, I feel a bit silly... I will explain:) I contacted an old studio friend and explained my situation... Although he could not explain the difference between Mixcraft and Tracktion compatibility he did offer this advice....

Up till now, I had been running a Windows 7 PC AMD Phenom quad core processor with a Safire Pro 40 Firewire interface.. with firewire I really didn't experience very much latency so I never really paid much attention to the Safire Mix control software.. everything seemed to work fine.. When acquired a new PC I discovered that PC's are no longer using firewire as a transfer protocall. There is only USB 2.0 and 3.0 - I have 4 of each.. As my new interface device is only 2.0 there is no advantage in using the 3.0 ports.. The problem lays in the actual USB protocol... 2.0 although it has comparable speed to firewire it does not have the same SUSTAINED transfer speeds for data transfer... meaning a MUCH larger buffer is required to move the information.. Actually USB 2.0 really isn't meant for recording more than a few tracks at a time...

So long story short, my friend gave me a few tips... First off the Mix Control software that comes with the interface is mandatory with 18 -I USB. USB requires a rather large buffer - something I wouldn't normally need with Firewire. So that was the first change... My buffer settings in Mixcraft are now 442 instead of 128 - which equates to about a 10.02 MS latency delay.. However, he also advised that I route EVERYTHING through the Mix Control as that software provides zero latency recording regardless of the buffer settings....so I would not even notice any delay. The changing timing in my recording track was actually due to USB not being able to transfer steady data... therefore causing it to be released as it buffered and causing the recording to react accordingly.. He also said that for some reason WINDOWS UAC control should be turned off... something you can only do in Windows 8 by changing a registry setting, which I did..

So looks like everything is good now... I just threw 8 tracks together with Addictive drums, Spectrasonics atmosphere synth, a few guitar tracks and a bass track... Through Mix Control everything recorded fine in sync and with the increased buffer size everything plays back fine as well with no pops or stutters. There was absolutely zero delay.. I am still at a loss as to why Tracktion doesn't react in my normal latency settings but at this point I really don't care as I much prefer Mixcraft... I really don't monitor through plugins as I always mic a tube amp, and mic all my acoustics.. I no longer use the monitoring through the Mixcraft tracks.. I now monitor everything through Mix Control only:) Again I feel a little silly as if I were to have put my full trust in the actual interface software I wouldn't have had a problem.. My biggest piece of advice to anyone having a similar problem would be to understand that USB does not have the sustained data capability to run several tracks without an increased buffer size... it isn't like firewire.... make sure your interface has it's own monitor capability.. and if it does USE IT !!! lol

Well I'm off to get busy in my studio now... again thanks to all ... and thanks again to Mixcraft for making a great DAW !

Take care.... Harry