Mixcraft still the easiest learning curve!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dpaterson

Re: Mixcraft still the easiest learning curve!

Post by dpaterson »

If there was a "Like" button I'd "Like" your post!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Looks like the little troll's post was deleted. aw. Anyway I echo what the others have said. I've tried a wide variety of DAWs and Mixcraft was the easiest to use by far...which isn't the only reason I settled on it, but the primary one. I have zero interest in having to go get an EE degree just to learn how to use one. I want to spend my time making music. And Pro Tools is probably the worst. What a horribly unfriendly DAW. I think many use it because "ooooh the pros use it" and they want so badly to pretend they're on the big kids' playground :roll: What pretentious silliness. And so many other DAWs are a joke UX-wise. Reaper was the only real competition for my business, and it's a fine enough DAW, but Mixcraft beat it out without too much trouble too. And anyone who says it's "lightweight" simply doesn't know what they're talking about.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

It was just spam folks. Best ignored.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mark Bliss wrote:It was just spam folks. Best ignored.
Yes, especially since I'll come along and erase it, making any replies to the deleted post non-sequiturs.

Of course, we don't mind people replying to this original topic. :grin:
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Love Mixcraft!
Last edited by bigaquarium on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
margeritta

Post by margeritta »

Hello, reaaly curious to listen to your adventures.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

bigaquarium wrote:Mixcraft is definitely my go-to DAW for songwriting and will probably always be. However, it sadly doesn't get used for recording anymore because the sound quality just isn't there, especially as relates to the stereo image. I am a huge fan of the old Emagic plugins (like the EVB3, etc...) and picked up a copy of Logic 9 to get them, and wound up trying out the program for giggles. Using the same audio interface on the Mac as on my PC, there is just no comparison, the raw Apple sound is hotter and more present so it only takes little tweaks to get it right, whereas with MC I need to burn my processor up in an attempt to make it sound less dull and lifeless. Maybe this is just because the plugins and instruments are getting really stale but I doubt that because even Reaper blows it away on my PC in terms of sound quality. It just doesn't sound professional out of the box. :(

Best,

Nathan
Hi,

Assuming your sound device audio quality settings are the same, you'll get the same recording quality from any DAW. You're just transcribing the digital audio information.

Greg
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

However, it's possible that the "way" each DAW handles and processes the audio afterward can vary, affecting how the mix sounds.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Love Mixcraft!
Last edited by bigaquarium on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

That's with no effects or anything? Listening through the same headphones / speakers with the same playback device and the same quality settings?

Greg
starise

Post by starise »

I think the implication here that Mixcraft is easy. Easier than brand ** might be a better description. It is plenty deep and to get to that depth you need to RTM. Maybe not as deep as some of the others.When I say this I am referring to functions mostly not used my the most common user. Deep midi editing is probably still best left to Cubase. This is no disservice to Mixcraft. Probably most of the main daws fall into that same category. In other words 99% of users won't need or want it.

Application is also important here. The same statement can't be stated across the board so to speak.The makers of Mixcraft had an intent and a goal in mind when they made Mixcraft which obviously can't cover every base in spades. None of em'do.

Lots of people play guitar and want to plug in a guitar and record it or sing. I would agree this is a simple process.
Loading loops for backing is a simple process.OTOH drum maps, midi editing, arrangement are a little deeper under the hood of Mixcraft. For those types of users it might take some time to grok, especially if you've used other daws. This is because you trained on something else.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

I would think that when it is all tracked and mixed there is no way to tell which DAW a piece of music was mixed on. I was just on Soundcloud listening to some of Eric's tracks and they are superb!

https://soundcloud.com/ericvanlandingham I am assuming he used Mixcraft. I wish I could get that sound. The mastering is off the chart and so is everything else. He's one of those guys who can do it all. DAMN HIM! :evil:

As a songwriter Mixcraft is the best for my needs. I do OK with the midi editor when I'm doing classical stuff.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Digital is 1's and 0's, that's it. DAW's don't treat those differently, period.

M
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

Plug-ins are very important as to how they treat those 0s and 1s. How they behave in the chain can make a difference.

As I played with DAWs they began to feel more like a musical instrument. Mixcraft just feels right for me. I think that other real musicians would have the same reaction.

My recording and mixing skills and instincts are improving as is my mastering. I like mastering now but I wish I could work with someone who could teach me some trick.

Creative people are right-brained and we tend to shy away from geeky stuff. We have good musical instincts and we know what sounds good when we hear it. Mixcraft made that easy for me.
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

bigaquarium wrote:Hi Greg,

Here's what I'm talking about... Just for example, if I record a fresh, dry, raw sound clip with no effects, it comes through Logic or Reaper so hot that I can put the sound right inside my head, and can also pan it really hard too. With MC the sound seems to be in front of me no matter what I do, it doesn't pan as hard, and it is weaker and more ethereal sounding; it almost sounds as though MC imposes a sort of digital room or space image on the sound. Maybe it's a phase issue or something, who knows. Does MC perform to any kind of referenced standard for stereo imaging?

I love MC to death and will keep upgrading it, but again, I can't really use it to record anything I want to publish right now because even the most heroic efforts don't seem to match what my other two DAW's seem to do naturally in terms of presence/image.

Best,
Nathan
Have you tried loading a track recorded on MC on to Logic or vice versa? Do you think they would sound the same?

Music has gotten louder and I sometimes mistake loud for better. Mixcraft pans fine for what I do and I can but everything left or right or small increments thereof with no problem. Mixcraft sounds quite accurate for what I do.