How to make second verse and chorus different than the first?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

How to make second verse and chorus different than the first?

Post by marc32123 »

Right now I have my song completed up to the end of the first chorus. I know songs just repeat the same music from the first verse and chorus into the second verse and chorus. My song is a piano song and I actually am just going to copy and paste all the music from the first verse and chorus into the second (it has two pianos, a string, 2 choir parts and a drumbeat) instead of replaying everything. I know with some songs it is probably not a good idea to copy and paste, like if it was a guitar song it would sound way to repetitive (cause a guitar is always quite a bit different sounding even if the same chords are being played). With a song like mine though, it doesn't really matter two much because with a piano, it's not like a guitar. The only thing that could be that much different is the volume (from how hard you strike the keys) and somewhat the timbre if it is a high quality sampled piano sound you are using. Well, plus the timing to I guess...

For what my song is though, I don't really think I need to replay everything. Like I said, I am just going to copy and paste all the music (*not vocals though) from the first verse and chorus into the second verse and chorus.

I am wondering though, does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do to make it sound different from the first verse and chorus. I know new vocals will make it different, but I want something more than just new vocals. I was thinking about putting a guitar in it. Does anyone have any ideas? I think with an extra instrument or something it would give it a whole different flavor and make it not sound repetitive at all. probably wouldn't even hardly be able to tell it was copy and pasted...
TrevsAudio

Re: How to make second verse and chorus different than the first?

Post by TrevsAudio »

Build it up in stages... keep it simple at the start (maybe remove some strings etc) then start to add them from verse two onwards. Pay attention to 'light and shade' - softer and louder sections. You need to make each part slightly different to hold your listeners' attention.

Best of luck and post the song here when you're done - plenty of experienced and helpful musso's to guide you further :wink:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Ausus Razen 5 12 core 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
mick

Post by mick »

You can try adding a couple of extra measures (or as many as you like) between the two parts and add some bridging notes that help to carry the end of the first part into the second. Then change the mood of the second part with effects or a key change although I think key changes seem more effective around 3/4 of the way into the music so it could be too early. The question is a big one!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Mark I wasn't really asking if it was normal to loop in this thread, I was asking how to make a second verse different and not repetitive.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I thought I at least touched on how you might make it different in the previous reply.

The question might be best answered by trying it and see what the results are.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
the pannacotta army

Post by the pannacotta army »

marc32123 wrote: I was asking how to make a second verse different and not repetitive.
This is really a question of artistic preference, and personal creativity
There are of course numerous ways to achieve what you’re asking but not knowing the song’s arrangement, structure, etc, it’s difficult to come up with precise suggestions.
However, off the top of my head I could suggest –

Bring in new instrument/instruments playing same chords/riff/motif/melody as first verse
Change an instrument to another playing the same chords/riff/motif/melody as first verse
Bring in new instrument/instruments playing a new different melody/riff/motif
Make slight/drastic variations to existing chords/riff/motif/melody
Bring in new instrument/instruments harmonising an existing riff/motif/melody
Bring in new percussion elements
Add harmony/backing vocals
Drop something out

The options are pretty endless.

Listen closely to how pro songs are structured and arranged - what changes occur.

Post by 7915983 »

I find that just re recording the parts already makes it slightly different.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Sami Seif wrote:I find that just re recording the parts already makes it slightly different.
Yup. With guitar I like to use different ways of playing, barre chords instead of open or visa versa. Experiment, for me that's more than half the fun!

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

All good suggestions. and I have to give Capt. Pannacotta the "new guy trying to be helpful" award. Aces for the effort. 8)

My point still is that I wont know whether the 9 iron or 7 iron is the best choice on the par 3 5th hole until I have played a few rounds on that course. And experience says that a few years down the road what worked before might need to be challenged.
I cannot give advise on a song I have not heard. And talking about it until the cows come home to roost isnt going to produce the results that trying something, (even if its wrong) will.
Try something. Listen to it. If it sounds good take note. If it doesnt work, take note. Try something else.
And thin out your golf bag and quite hauling around so much dead weight. :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Not sure quite how relevant this is but Berklee College of Music do a free online songwriting course that might be worth your while investigating.

They have recently changed from having specific enrollment dates to rolling dates - this is the link I have

http://www.coursera.org/learn/songwriting/

Cheers

John
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

There is only one teacher for this, and her name is Experience.

I look at songs I wrote in the past and think, yea, I could have done that better. There is no set answer, from one song to the next, on how to construct it for maximum effect. I mean, it's so subjective. I could say for instance, go listen to "Ghost Love Score" by Nightwish for an example on how to blend many different sections of a song together. I love that song and subjectively feel like it's an amazing example of songwriting prowess. That doesn't mean you'll like it at all or get anything out of it. Thus, any advice I give will be colored by my preference and taste, and it may or may not suit you at all.

Becoming a songwriter is a personal journey, and while asking for advice can sometimes help, most often it's experimentation and the experience gained in that which leads you where you want to go.