Audio popping/breaking up

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

AfxTwn

Audio popping/breaking up

Post by AfxTwn »

Hi, I've just upgraded from Win 7 to 10 and have noticed on playback there is a lot of popping/breaking up of the sound. When I was using Win 7 this didn't happen so I assume it's because Win 10's default settings are causing an issue. I am using the ASIO drivers from my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 audio interface with a sample rate of 44100 and a buffer size of 256 giving me 5.80 milliseconds of latency. My PC specs are: Intel Core i7 4790K, 16GB DDR3 RAM so that should be plenty powerful enough to run the DAW.

I have checked device manager and under sound devices it shows AMD High Def Audio Device (I assume this is for my AMD R9 290X GPU), Realtek High Def Audio (the onboard sound for my Asus H81 Gamer mobo) and SndTAudio (which is for Soundtaxi, a file conversion program I use). These are all in addition to my 18i8 so do I need to disable any or all of these except the 18i8? I'd prefer not to disable the Soundtaxi one as I use that program often for converting.

Could it be something else entirely that is causing the popping? I am using the latest Focusrite beta drivers for Scarlett Mixcontrol and the 18i8 itself (1.9.64.10, Driver 3.2.285 API 3.0, Firmware version 690). I got them from here: http://beta.focusrite.com/ as I had read elsewhere that the latest beta drivers addressed issues with Windows 10.

Thanks for any help.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Audio popping/breaking up

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you don't already have Mixcraft 7.1 build 279, choose "Check For Updates" from Mixcraft's Help menu.

If you already had that build, or the problem happens again with the latest build, quit Mixcraft immediately after you notice the popping and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file, which is located in this folder:

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft

Another way to find it is to click on the Windows Start Menu, select All Apps, then Acoustica Mixcraft 7 and finally Logs. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Here's a short video: Mixcraft Mini-Tip: How To Find Your Mixcraft Log File

Greg
AfxTwn

Post by AfxTwn »

Hi Greg, yes I have Build 279. I have tried to attach some crash and log files from last night as another issue I'm experiencing besides the popping is that sometimes the program will crash but when I try to attach them to this post, it says it's an invalid file extension so I will open a support request.

I was doing some recording last night and wasn't doing anything in Mixcraft for a couple of minutes while I was figuring out a part on my keyboard and then when I hit record, Mixcraft wouldn't respond and eventually just crashed and I had to exit it. This has happened a few times since using Windows 10.

The popping/breakup in playback seems to only happen after I am playing back a project after initially quitting Mixcraft. So for example, I recorded some tracks a couple of days ago and when I go into Mixcraft now to play them, then the popping and breakup occurs. While I am actually recording a track then playback is fine, it seems the process of exiting Mixcraft and then going back into it again is causing some issues.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Okay, we'll take a look at your log files and see what's up!

Greg