Getting the tempo correct

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rik

Getting the tempo correct

Post by Rik »

Hi all, forgive me if this question has been asked before.

What I am doing is recording guitar tracks then attempting (without much success) to add a drum beat that matches my recordings tempo.
I am playing the guitar myself to a metronome but no matter how I set things I can never get a drum beat to match correctly.

Any help with this will be gratefully received.
There IS method in my madness! At least, that's what I tell everyone. :lol:

Re: Getting the tempo correct

Post by 7915983 »

I don't ever get the tempo right either, I just edit it well.
the pannacotta army

Post by the pannacotta army »

Rik wrote:I am playing the guitar myself to a metronome
Just to clarify, you do mean you are playing to Mixcraft's metronome, don't you?

Rik wrote:no matter how I set things I can never get a drum beat to match correctly.
what are you producing your drumbeat with?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, I am not sure I fully understand either.

There are cases, such as third party loops that vary slightly from the advertised tempos, and perhaps a metronome can also be calibrated slightly off or something, but what you are describing isn't clear.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Also don't forget that if you are playing in say 4/4 and the drum loop is in 6/8 or some other permutation then even though the tempo might be right it just wont fit.

You might want to investigate some MIDI drum loops and use Mixcraft studio drums - being MIDI you will have much more control over their timeings - Groovemonkey have a great free MIDI drum pack with over 700 loops which might help. http://groovemonkee.com/
mick

Post by mick »

Have you tried making a tempo track in the step recorder then mix to wave to see if it works better than the metronome?
You only need to make one measure then select the number required in the panel an the left, so you can type 54 measures and that's what will be inserted on the audio track.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

If you have found a drum loop that you like that fits in with your guitar track good( but out of sync ), it might be easier to re-record your guitar tracks while playing along to the drums instead of your metronome. That will save alot of editing.
Rik

Post by Rik »

I will give that a go, thanx.

Sorry I haven't posted before now but I have been very busy.

I have tried playing to MC's metronome and to guitar rigs one with limited success. I also tried a 3rd party metronome (I forget it's name) while recording with audacity with similar poor results.

I had an idea of mixing a drum beat down to mp3 then listening to it on my mp3 player then recording what I play along to it.
There IS method in my madness! At least, that's what I tell everyone. :lol: