How to record guitar amplifer into DAW?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

How to record guitar amplifer into DAW?

Post by marc32123 »

I just bought a Line 6 Spider IV and am wondering what is the best way to record this into Mixcraft? By the way, I have a Scarlett 2i2 too.
GovernmentMule

Re: How to record guitar amplifer into DAW?

Post by GovernmentMule »

If you like the way it sounds when playing in front of it I would mike it up and go through your Scarlett, hopefully you have a somewhat decent mike. You could also go through the audio output of the spider into your Scarlett but it will not sound the same, probably not as good.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

In my experience, digital modelling of distortion, ie. with plugins, never convincingly matches that of true analogue distortion. If you seek to achieve good distortion with guitar, either follow GovernmentMule's advice, or DI the output from an analogue (not digital) distortion pedal, but bear in mind that it can not be reduced.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I like the D/I route, it gives you two tracks right off the bat and a TON of options. You can spend hours on mic placement alone. Truth be told though, you're not going to get much very good out of that amp. I'm not trying to be rude or otherwise snobbish but that's more of a practice amp than anything else. I'm sure that you can get some ok sounds out of it but it won't be better than most of the modelers you can find out there.

The amp is as important as the guitar in terms of the tone and nothing beats the sound of a nice tube amp, clean or dirty. IMO one of the first things a guitarist should invest in is a good amp. I would save on that before spending on other stuff. That's just me though.

M
Pete Stobbs

Post by Pete Stobbs »

I use one of these:

TubeMeister 5 Head

http://hughes-and-kettner.com/products/ ... meister-5/

Very happy with it too!
Win 8.1
8 gig ram
AMD A4 6210 1.8 GHz
Focusrite solo.
Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 5 head.
Blackstar ID30 TVP

https://soundcloud.com/pete-stobbs
https://soundcloud.com/toltec-jive
Rolling Estonian

I've noticed those, they look really cool, so does the combo. I was trying to save for a Fender Champ RI but everytime I think I'm close something comes up and poof, there goes amp savings lol. I have a Blues Jr. that I love micing up, it can give you drive without being too loud. But a 5watt is on my short list.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, that thing would be a cool addition. Want.

The Line6 Spider IV's all have a direct out I believe, so if you like the sounds you are getting, I would think that would be the first route to recording with the things.
I used a 15w briefly when they first came out. Quickly sold it.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Looks like the Tubemeister Head is no longer available at Sweetwater or American Musical but the combo is. They maybe discontinuing them.

You people give me GAS
Rolling Estonian

GovernmentMule wrote:You people give me GAS
Right?!?!?!?

I've wasted away more than a few minutes at work looking up small amps, like this one.......

http://www.amazon.com/Laney-L5T-112-Lio ... +tube+amps

Freaking yum!

M
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Rolling Estonian wrote:
GovernmentMule wrote:You people give me GAS
Right?!?!?!?

M
I am sure you do know but just in case GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome

Cheers

John
Rolling Estonian

Oh I'm familiar....... Way too familiar! :mrgreen:

M
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Mark Bliss wrote:Yeah, that thing would be a cool addition. Want.

The Line6 Spider IV's all have a direct out I believe, so if you like the sounds you are getting, I would think that would be the first route to recording with the things.
I used a 15w briefly when they first came out. Quickly sold it.
Ok Mark, how would I go about this? I know on the back of the amp there is a Phones/Direct Out, and this is where I would plug the TRS 1/4 inch cable in, and than after that plug the other end into my audio interface. I also know I would just plug into the amp directly with my guitar like normally with a separate cable. Last night I tried this though, and tried to record like this. I couldn't get the amp to sound though at all, when the amp was hooked up to the audio interface. What am I doing wrong?
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Rolling Estonian wrote: Truth be told though, you're not going to get much very good out of that amp. I'm not trying to be rude or otherwise snobbish but that's more of a practice amp than anything else.

M
I think it sounds amazing personally. The 15 watt version is the # 1 selling guitar amp in America!
Rolling Estonian

marc32123 wrote:
Rolling Estonian wrote: Truth be told though, you're not going to get much very good out of that amp. I'm not trying to be rude or otherwise snobbish but that's more of a practice amp than anything else.

M
I think it sounds amazing personally. The 15 watt version is the # 1 selling guitar amp in America!
Um...... Okay.......

I'll stand by what I said above, I'd invest in some good amp modeling software and saving for a good amp than micing that amp. I bought Amplitube Fender series and it's the best I've heard, again my opinion. I can get much better tones out of my software than I could out of the Line6. And if you're using an inexpensive mic, that's a double whammy.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

marc32123 wrote:I think it sounds amazing personally. The 15 watt version is the # 1 selling guitar amp in America!
Subjective. If it sounds good to you, than use it. But for the record, the Ford Taurus was at one point the best selling car in America. You couldnt give me one.
Sales figures mean it is well marketed, not necessarily a brilliant product. Look at its price point and look at its competition. Usually self explanatory.
marc32123 wrote:Ok Mark, how would I go about this? I know on the back of the amp there is a Phones/Direct Out....
Well I think its been at least a decade. And I didnt have a DAW or an interface and I didnt record from it, in fact best as I can recall I played through it three, maybe four times and sold it. So I certainly dont remember details.

Being a line level out, you could check the output by plugging in some headphones to verify signal coming out of the amp. Any details pertinent to this should be in your users manual. Dont make me read it for you...... :roll:

Note that given the fact that the Spider amp as I recall has about 100 preprogrammed sounds (which for the record is in my opinion about 95 too many.....) and though I dont recall, I am going to bet at least one is potentially a stereo chorus or something, (Line 6 always seemed to love the stereo chorus) its possible the output is capable of being stereo. Again, the manual is going to remember more than I do. They always do.

Signal verified and moving on to your interface, set to line in and.... Hey, it has a users manual too!..... :lol:

Moving on, Mixcraft track input source assigned correctly? Armed? Meter activity?

Maybe it would help if we knew what you had tried already. Details. Its all in the details.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page