Mics best for recording

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kebler95

Mics best for recording

Post by kebler95 »

Hello everyone out there in mixcraft world. New Forum user,
I am wondering what is the BEST Mic(s) for recording with the Mix7 Home Studio Software, Looking into the condinser mic field which seems to be the way the industry is going. So if you have any suggestions on this please like to hear from you,
Thanks !! :D
aj113

Re: Mics best for recording

Post by aj113 »

You won't go far wrong with an SM57.
kebler95

Post by kebler95 »

What about Vocal Recording,? I was looking into the MXL Mic.
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Wow. You're really going to have to be more specific if you want a good answer to your question. What specifically are you recording? Vocals, Instruments, amps, drums? What interface / Preamp are you using? What's your budget? Does your interface support phantom voltage (typically needed for condenser mics)?

When you say "Vocal Recording", male, female, style? What's your expectation for quality?

What MXL mic? Do you have easy access to a store like Guitar Center locally, or do you have to order everything by internet?

One hint... If you are thinking condenser, you're probably better off getting an interface that has a power cord (like the Focusrite 6i6 or better), as opposed to USB powered interfaces (like the 2i2 and 2i4) that likely won't have the power to push many mics since they are relying on the 5 volts they get over the USB connection to power both the interface and the mic.
kebler95

Post by kebler95 »

Ok, Sorry, You are right i put no detail in that post. That was my bad! I usually dont ever do that.
So let me re-try this. I am songwriter and poet, I am looking to make a new set up on a mic set, I use to have a Tascam set up, my x-gf took off with it(go figure they take everything lol) I was looking into the MXL Mics, but i have seen that Mix7 people are leaning toward the SHure Mics, but to me that looks like a junk mic, sorry no disreaspect to anyone, I am truely looking to for a Mic set up that has great sound quality. Condinser Mics are the trend in the industry these days, which they are getting a lot better. So that is a choice I would take. I was wondering I do still have my Digitech Voice stomp box still and would the Mix7 Home reconize it as it records ?? I am on considering going to the Mix7 Pro btw.

My Styles are Metal , and Poetry spoken along with Grundge music. Those are the projects I work on.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep, those Shure mics are junk!
If you happen to run across any unwanted SM 57's or 58's, even given the very rare chance they no longer work, let me know. I'll be glad to cover the shipping. Seriously. 8)

Despite what many of the talking heads preach, I don't believe there is a single mic that is a perfect "one size does all" answer for everyone by any stretch.
But it sounds like you are starting out with a minimalist approach, so perhaps the common recommendation is a good place to start. Then if/when you find it is good for some things but too "honest" for others, Too "bright" for some, or whatever evolves, you will then do what many others do. Get more mics. They will go well with your improved interface. And whatever else you add to your collection. :D

Start experimenting and gain actual experience. You'll figure out what you really need pretty quickly along the way. Try to avoid the GAS syndrome, but you will probably find you want to upgrade from the home studio version and add a modest interface pretty early in the curve. Give it time, don't take my word for it.

Oh and I have to ask, is "grundge" a cross between Nordic metal and northwest grunge? :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist.

Welcome to the forum.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
kebler95

Post by kebler95 »

Lol nice !! Love the sarcasm in there bro . Alright I get what your saying man I will get out the save bubble
N no the old school grunge . Lol
aj113

Post by aj113 »

kebler95 wrote:...to me that looks like a junk mic, sorry no disreaspect to anyone, I am truely looking to for a Mic set up that has great sound quality...
Not entirely sure why you would ask for a mic recommendation then dismiss that recommendation on the basis of a gut instinct. The SM57 is a very capable mic, I would have no problem using one for any vocal - and indeed I have, on many occasions.

Also, do you have some inside information? When did this industry trend towards condenser mics happen? It's something I'm not aware of.
kebler95

Post by kebler95 »

Yea,I do have some inside information. Been in the music industry for quite some time since I was 16 . When it comes to home studio on budget consider mics where pushed out there , n most software will do will if not best with it.
I was really asking for any leading Condinser mics out there , there may be that I haven't heard of or research myself on . That's y I asked . I'm hesitate of the sure just my opinion. My gut feeling is MXL . But to be double sure wanted to ask around.
I have lost my jbl set up from x guitar players , Condinser mics from xs ect. .. I have come to be on my own with my own thing .
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

kebler95 wrote:Yea,I do have some inside information. Been in the music industry for quite some time since I was 16 .
I'm going to call BS on that if you don't know the 57/58. :roll:
anyway,what is your budget?
there are several mic types (Dynamic,Condenser,Tube,Ribbon) & a lot depends on your training,room environment,& actual tone of your voice.

Dynamic Mics-
Shure 57/58-great all around mics
Shure SM7B vocals & spoken word
AKG D7
Sennheiser e835
Audio Technica M4000s

Condenser-
MXL 990s
AKG C214
MXL V67 (and it's variants) is also a great modding project.

ribbon-
Royer 121
SE Electronics X1R

tube-
MXL V69
TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik ELA M 251
AKG Perception 820

that's jsut a few but I prefer a tube mic myself.
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

Yes, your budget is really important for answering this question.

We could suggest $50 mics... or $5000 mics if you want.

Given you said MXL, sounds like you are in the sub $1000 (relatively "low" quality, but probably won't notice the difference especially with the style you play) range.

Adding to the very good list from Gypsy1010, the Rode NT1 or NT1a are really good starter mics from my understanding. Relatively flat response, good for male vocals. The NT1 is supposedly better, (and slightly more expensive), but people are not liking the new mic holder that comes with it (most prefer the older style still sold with the NT1a).(I've got my eye on this for purchase someday) (My pro fiance will want something much better quality, tho).

If you're looking for a top quality mic, there's always the standby Neumann U87, but that will set you back ~$3,600 new.

Me, I use a Sennheiser e935 (~$169 new) dynamic for recording. I bought it for playing out, but it works just fine for recording for me. A friend of mine who owns a professional studio and has recorded the likes of Ronnie Earl and Bill Janovitz and many others lent me a Neumann KMS 105 condenser (analog) (~$700 new) that works well for me, too. But I'm no connoisseur.

I highly recommend heading over to www.thegearpage.net and www.gearslutz.com. Lots of advice and opinion over there on everything gear related.

As far as interfaces go, I'm imagining an SM57 would be a high quality mic for you if you are thinking of using the Digitech stompbox as your preamp/interface. I don't know that box, but I'm imagining you are pretty much wasting money if you buy an "expensive" mic and then run it into Mixcraft with that. Does it supply the phantom power required by condenser mics?

For low cost home studio preamp/interfaces, I highly recommend the Focusrite 6i6, it's externally powered (so gives plenty of power for phantom powered mics), has two preamp and two instrument inputs (as well as two S/PDIF), so I'm able to mic myself up and my guitar and run the guitar direct all at the same time. I picked up a new one on sale at Guitar Center for $175 a couple years ago, and it works great for me. (Only issue I've had is managing the headphone output, lol (i.e. trying to get the Mixcraft signal to go to both headphones, as opposed to listening to the inputs directly. (My fiance hates recording her voice flat without reverb, but I'd rather add the reverb in post processing so I can change it later), but I know that's just my own stupidity)).
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I've been through a number of mics, and if it's condenser ones you want then I suggest you not waste your money buying expensive 'mid-market' ones. These all tend to have the same 1" (25mm) Chinese mass-manufactured capsule in them, with the only difference being the preamp/eq circuitry inside.

The Behringer B-1 is a good buy, and is more than capable of giving professional quality results, but something even cheaper and just as good has recently arrived on the market: the Fame C01, which retails at roughly half the price of the Behringer. Both of these, in my experience, are good for recording vocals and guitar.

However, although I've found these mics excel at for the higher frequencies, as well as soft vocals, they don't compare with an Audio-Technica 2035 (with a 20mm diaphragm) if you want deeper, more powerful rock-type vocals.

Incidentally, the Behringer XM8500 is a highly rated dynamic microphone that compares well to the Shure SM58 with its over-inflated price. In many forums on the internet where comparisons are made, plenty of people are even insisting that the XM8500 is marginally better, even though it's only a fraction of the price of an SM58. The AKG D7 is good too, reproducing a little more highs.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

gypsy101 wrote:
kebler95 wrote:Yea,I do have some inside information. Been in the music industry for quite some time since I was 16 .
I'm going to call BS on that if you don't know the 57/58. :roll:
In fairness the OP doesn't say how old he / she is now so it might only be 6 months :D (OP I am only kidding!)
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

FlyingsCool wrote: (...) over to www.thegearpage.net and www.gearslutz.com. Lots of advice and opinion over there on everything gear related.
That´s the curse. You will find hundreds of different opinions and they will confuse you. All of this is 100% subjective and not based on any laboratory teststandards that would allow reliable comparison.
The problem is, if somebody says, the large diaphragm condenser mike he bought is the best he ever had, it might be true. Any such mike will beat a dynamic stage mike by a mile.

I have had a chance to audition several such mikes, AKG, Behringer and such, and I liked none of them. I preferred another one. [note: none of them were cheap. On a side-by-side comparison, one was a bit too this and another one too that, and one was balanced. Probably any of them could have been useful with a little EQ.]

Large diaphragm condensers have a bigger "ear" to listen, but are useless for a singer on a stage.
For generic studio work, a large dia condenser will do most jobs well, singing, talking, instruments, amps.
For live, use a dynamic mike, those are specialized to listen to only the singer or the instrument.

So, once you settled on a certain destination, take any mike that fits your ear and your purse.
If you plan to pick up amps, you might want one that can tolerate high levels of sound.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I'll second the advice that aquateur gave.

By the way, don't get too hung up on online reviews and opinions. Journalists do it to justify their jobs, whilst people will usually give big praise to what equipment they already have, even though the odds are that it's likely to be no better than other equipment in the same price bracket.