Saving songs to memory stick

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Stubby03

Saving songs to memory stick

Post by Stubby03 »

I have a laptop, running slower from songs saved. Can I hit "copy project files to" and then to a file, then save them to my (stick 16GB). Can I erase all the songs loaded on mixcraft and my laptop. And load them from my stick when needed. Im going to get a desktop, just not for a few months. And when loading, they will load each track properly, just like opening a song in my mixcraft load project file?
fredfish

Re: Saving songs to memory stick

Post by fredfish »

The method you describe will almost work. The 2 options you get are copy to a folder and copy to a zip file. If you copy to a zip file you would need to unzip the file in order to reload it in to Mixcraft, your best option would be to save to a folder then you can work in the way you describe.

You say that your computer is running slowly because of all of the songs saved to the laptop. How much disk space do you have left? Unless you are running very low on drive space the amount of stuff you have on the drive shouldn't slow down your computer. There are a number of things you can do to speed up your machine.

I am assuming Windows 7 here.

If you want to recover disk space try running the disc cleanup utility (just type it in to the run dialogue in your start menu). When you run it click on advanced and elect to remove all but your most recent system restore point. When I first did this I recovered 17gb!

Also try defragmenting your drive - that should help (even more important if you are low on space as that is when most fragmentation takes place.

You could download a utility like Glary Utilities which has a one click clean-up option http://www.glarysoft.com/ - it is completely free. Through this you can also check to see what programs are running at startup - removing unwanted programs from startup will not only speed up your booting times but will also make you computer run faster as not so much stuff is running in the background. You can do this by running a utility called Msconfig that comes with windows, however the version that you can access through Glary provides an easy way of checking what each entry in the list is actually for.

Best of luck

Cheers

John
Rik

Post by Rik »

Some very sound advice from fredfish indeed.
I'd like to add one more thing to it if I may.
Download ccleaner and click on the registry tab and scan then clean all it finds. Keep running it until it finds no more registry problems. If it finds and removes a lot of registry entries it can make a significant improvement to the speed of your computer.
I have been using ccleaner for more than 10 years and trust it completely.
There IS method in my madness! At least, that's what I tell everyone. :lol:
Stubby03

Post by Stubby03 »

Thanks fellas. I don't get online with my recording computer. Just for recording, so using ccleaner, I would have to get online. I did a test of a song I did. Copied the files, to a file. Put it on my stick. Erased it off of mixcraft, and loaded it from the stick. Worked like a charm.
Rik

Post by Rik »

You could download ccleaner with another computer and put it on the memory stick if you wanted.
There IS method in my madness! At least, that's what I tell everyone. :lol:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

With a laptop, you're in danger of going into power-saving mode. This can impede Mixcraft's performance. One simple thing to do is always plug your laptop in when you're working with Mixcraft. You can also go into the Windows control panel and modify the power settings.

Greg
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

One shouldn't expect a computer to be running "slower" because it's being used it as intended. What might be slowing you down is that the files are getting divided up in the space you have left on the hard drive and it just might need to be defragmented. -h