Question about mixing down

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

Question about mixing down

Post by marc32123 »

I got my song sounding exactly the way I want it to in Mixcraft. My problem is that when I mix it down, it sounds a lot different than the project file I was working on in Mixcraft (mainly just the vocals). I tried mixing down to MP3, WAV and WMA and I am getting the same crappy results. The low end (the bass) gets WAYYYYY to much in the vocals. Also, it's not as bad when I listen it through my computer speakers, but it's awful when I listen through my headphones. Like I said, just wayyyy to much bass in the vocals for some reason.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do to fix the problem? I wish the mix down could sound the same as the project file... :?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Question about mixing down

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

1. If you load the mixed-down file back into Mixcraft and play it, does it sound normal? If so, you need to turn off Windows "enhanced audio" in the Windows control panel's audio settings If the mixed-down audio file still sounds bad when you load it back into Mixcraft...
2. Try mixing down to a wav file that has the same sample rate you're using in Mixcraft's sound device preferences. For example, if you're using a sample rate of 48000 Hz in Mixcraft's sound device preferences, mix down to a wav file that has a sample rate of 48000 Hz.

That second option works because some plugins don't handle sample rate changes on mix down.

Greg

Post by 7915983 »

I would try cutting off everything below 150 hz in the vocals, and if that's not enough, bring the 250 hz range down a little bit.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Ok guys. Greg what about the bit depth? I can set it at 8, 16, 24, or 32?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

marc32123 wrote:Ok guys. Greg what about the bit depth? I can set it at 8, 16, 24, or 32?
Hi,

Whatever you want. The sample rate is the significant setting in this case.The bit depth you're using in sound device preferences would be the natural choice.

Greg