default settings and Add Marker button?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

TheDailyVinyl

default settings and Add Marker button?

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

I just upgraded from Mixcraft 6.1 to 7.5. Few things working differently than I am used to. Can you help me adjust?

1.) Where is that handy "+Marker" ("Add a new timeline marker") button? I use that all the time!

How do I set default settings for the following for new projects:
2.) "Time" view instead of "Beats"
3.) Track 1 set to an "Audio track"
4.) Snap-to-Grid set to OFF
5.) When adding multiple audio tracks to the project, they are placed in a sequential order, rather than on separate Audio Tracks

Questions/Enhancements:
6.) Is there a shortcut to "Add a new timeline marker"?
7.) A default setting for new timeline markers to be "Create Track for CDs or Audio Files" ON
8.) Why can't I re-size the window smaller? All I want to see is a couple Audio tracks and the playback buttons. SO much dead space between the last audio track and the playback buttons!
9.) Set tag defaults for Audio File exporting; such as lowercase extensions & no "." after the track number.

My primary use for Mixcraft is really to edit existing audio tracks. I record my vinyl LPs, set markers for individual songs, fix skips, and export. Mixcraft 6 has been working perfectly fine, but its fun to upgrade. Hopefully, those first 5 changes are still available to me.
Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Re: default settings and Add Marker button?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

1. We did away with the add a marker button as part of an effort to help clean up the interface a bit. If you have a MIDI controller device of some kind, you could map a control to add a track marker. (Mix Menu > MIDI Control Surface > User Interface > Add Marker At Current Position)
2. Are you familiar with Mixcraft template files? You could set up a blank project file the way you want it, then change the file type when you save to a Mixcraft Template File. You can then use that template file to start new projects with all your favorite settings.
3. Mixcraft 7's new project screen allows you to set whatever track configuration you want, and it will "remember" your choices from session to session.
4. A template file would help with this.
5. It sounds like you do not have the latest version and build of Mixcraft 7. Choose "Check For Updates" from Mixcraft's help menu. The latest as of this post is version 7.5 build 289.

6. No, but see #1.
7. No, but thanks for the suggestion!
8. Thanks for the suggestion!
9. Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
TheDailyVinyl

Post by TheDailyVinyl »

Thanks for replying Greg,
1) I used the Marker button every single editing session :( Can I please request this button added back? How about in the space between the Time/Beats and Mixcraft 7 logo??
2, 3 & 4) HEY! I found what I'm looking for under Preferences > New Project Settings!! (also listed right under the File menu!) Don't know how I missed that before!
5) Yes, I am using Build 289. When I drag & dropped 2 mp3 files, it still stacked them into 2 different Audio Tracks.
6) No, not using anything MIDI for my editing. Would it be so hard to add? CTRL-SHFT-A for "Add a New Marker" ? Thanks for your consideration.
7-9) Thanks again for your consideration.

Been using Acoustica programs since "Mp3 Audio Mixer" in the early 2000's... Maybe even late '90's?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You originally wrote "When adding multiple audio tracks to the project, they are placed in a sequential order, rather than on separate Audio Tracks," so I thought you wanted them on separate tracks. If you want them all on the same track, hold down the shift key when you drop the sounds into Mixcraft.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Greg
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Wow, I guess because I started beta testing 7 not long after buying 6, I forgot/didn't notice that there used to be an Add Marker button.

Being able to add a marker on the fly has been my number one "enhancement" request since 7 was in beta. I hadn't realized that I was lobbying to restore a feature that had been deleted.

After Greg gave me the workaround of mapping a MIDI controller, I use it in every project. My lowest C# is "drop a marker."

I don't even NEED a button; a keystroke would be more useful.

I just put a Korg Nanokontrol2 on layaway and it amused me to see that dropping markers on the fly is considered so important to them that there is a dedicated "marker" button.

DailyVinyl, rest assured that it is already in the bug database as a feature request.
-Erik