Quantize?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

Quantize?

Post by marc32123 »

I am wondering how all the features of quantizing work. I remember hearing about quantizing awhile back when I was taking a Berkeley course online, but I never really got into how all the features of it work. Basically, all I know about it is that it is suppose to help fix timing errors from playing mistakes on the keyboard, and that using it can rearrange the midi notes so that they are more on beat or whatever where they should be. In Mixcraft, there are some options that I am wondering about. Can someone please explain to me what these all mean? This is really important to me and I would really like to fully understand it...

They are as follows -

Note type
Stength %
Start Times
End Times
Swing % (it says that swing delays the start time of every other note, but I am kind of confused as to what that really means...)
marc32123

Re: Quantize?

Post by marc32123 »

By the way, hopefully this isn't like quantum mechanics :lol:

Post by 7915983 »

If you don't what note type is, then you just need to learn some music theory.
Strength is by how much it quantizes it, meaning how tight the rhythm is, if you put it at 100 percent, it will probably sound mechanical, if you put it at a low number, it might sound off rhythm.
Start time is how much you want to quantize the initial hit of the note, end time is how much you want to quantize the end of a note.

Honestly, I would recommend never using the swing setting.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Marc, lets see if I can help some.

The "note type" selection chooses the grid definition to which you want to "quantize" your notes.
Tip: Try starting with the smaller note designations. If the area you are wanting to quantize is made up of 1/4 and 1/8th notes, try quantizing to the 1/8th note designation. If you were to select a higher designation, it may have an undesirable result such as moving notes too far and completely changing your sequence.

"Strength" would designate how "hard" to quantize.
Example: 100% would quantize fully to the designated grid setting. 50% would quantize 1/2 way closer to the designated grid. Put another way, if you played in a section and some notes are slightly early, some slightly late, quantizing by 50% would move things 1/2 way closer. 100% can be machine like and unnatural, but is often used in electronic styles. Some variance is more "human"
Suggestion: try quantizing rhythmic elements like drums somewhat "tighter" to the grid, melodic or other elements a little "looser"

"Start times" and "End times" selection boxes allow you to control whether the quantising effects the beginning or ends of the notes, or both. Quantising start times is far more common in my experience, end times may only be useful for certain kinds of sounds. Quantising note tails isn't something that seems like it would be commonly done.

"Swing" is a style. Some music styles have parts that are commonly played slightly after the beat. I would think of the swing setting as allowing some of that to exist. Maybe think jazz...... (Though not strictly true.)

The "all" and "selection" buttons choose whether to quantize all the notes, or allows you to select specific notes (By highlighting them) and quantize only those notes.

While Quantizing is all about timing, don't overlook the "Humanize" functions as another useful toolset. The functions are similar, but include randomizing options and add velocities as an option.

And don't overlook the potential for playing improvement as a method to reduce the time spent on all of this. IE: the time spent editing, quantizing and humanizing (etc.) can add up. Some of that time could possibly be more productively spent on practice.

I would suggest that perhaps creating a practice project and experimenting with all the settings to see how it works. Generally i think you will find smaller adjustments are the best place to start. Especially until you become more familiar with the settings and results.

And I have to say I agree with Sami about studying some basic music theory. Always a good part of a general foundation. And building a good foundation is always a good plan.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Thanks again Mark your the best man. I swear if I ever make it big I am going to hit you up with a check :)
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Another question about Quantizing really quick too...

I set the quantize a particular way for the harp in the song I am working on, and when I went to quantize the french horn settings, the harp settings were already input into the french horn settings.
I wanted to make the settings a little different for the french horn, so I made them the way I wanted to, and went back to check the quantize settings on the harp again after, and they switched over to what I had set the settings to on the french horn?

Do you know if there is anyway I can set the quantize settings a certain way for each instrument, or do they all have to be the same?
Juno

Post by Juno »

Nothing is changed until you actually hit OK. That window just remembers the last settings you made.

So you can make as much changes for each instrument you want. If you set 'strenght' to 90% for one instrument and hit OK, next time you open that window it will have remembered that 90%, but it will not apply it until you hit OK.
We the undersigned being of sound mind hereby do declare:
'We henceforth pledge ourselves unto the power of the Upper Air'
Doesn't that sound simply super
Zeppelin visions of the future
Of course we all know very well it wouldn't work but what the hell
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Juno beat me. And gave exactly the same response I would have. 8)

Yes, the selections in the window are the same as the last time it was opened.
And the window shows what to apply not any kind of status.

Got it?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Okay, so if I set the strength to 90 % and note type to 1/32 for the harp, and then I go to the french horn and open the quantize settings, it will show 90 % strength and 1/32 note type.
What about if I then change the french horn strength, say to 80 %, and the note type to 1/64, and hit okay... will it set the french horn strength to 80 % (and note type to 1/64) AND also keep the original harp strength at 90 % (and note type to 1/32)???

Sorry for the complex reiteration, I just want to make SURE I have this down correctly, as I will be using it a lot...
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Try it.........

The change only occurs on the selected track, and only occurs when you hit OK.

But.... If you set it to 90%, click on OK, then open the quantize dialog again and click on OK, it will move the notes 90% closer to the grid again. Do it while you watch the notes move accordingly.

Like I said, try it. I suspect you are overthinking it and need to do some hands on experimenting. :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Juno

Post by Juno »

marc32123 wrote:What about if I then change the french horn strength, say to 80 %, and the note type to 1/64, and hit okay... will it set the french horn strength to 80 % (and note type to 1/64) AND also keep the original harp strength at 90 % (and note type to 1/32)???
Yes. The only notes that are adjusted are the notes you have selected at that moment. Those notes must be in the clip you are currently viewing, so notes in any other clip don't change.
But as Mark already said, the best way to get a feeling for what happens, is to try it. (You can always use CTRL+Z to undo it.)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I just thought of yet another way to clarify it (perhaps?)

The quantize function is not a playback control parameter. It is a change applied when you set the ranges and hit OK to apply them. Then it is done. It has no further effect on anything in anyway except to make that change when you click on OK.

Understand?

Good day Juno! Hows the future looking today?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Juno

Post by Juno »

Mark Bliss wrote:Good day Juno! Hows the future looking today?
You're up early! :P The future looks huge, but smaller than yesterday... :mrgreen: