disappearing parameters (automation) | overwriting automation

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Juno

disappearing parameters (automation) | overwriting automation

Post by Juno »

Sometimes automation parameters disappear. This happened with build 289, but also in 292 (to which i updated immediately after discovering it). I haven't tried it with 64-bits, so this is all with MC7.5/build 292/32-bits.

In the screenshot below, there's a "cutoff frequency" parameter:
All parameters are here.
All parameters are here.
disappearing parameters begin.jpg (210.07 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
Steps to take:
  1. create project, add a vsti. I did it with "alien bass synth" and with "messiah". Note: later i did it with an effect, and it happens there, too.
  2. open its automation dialogue ("midi mapping"), use the dropdown menu to add: "cutoff frequency" (alien bass) or "-f1 cutoff" (messiah). Note 1: i suppose this issue is the same for all parameters but i just tried it with those two. Note 2: you may also use midi learn to do this.
  3. click in the CC column to add CC 28 as the trigger (i didn't try it with other values for the CC). Close the midi mapping dialogue. Note: you may again use midi learn to do this.
  4. set up a knob on your midi control surface to send CC 28.
  5. add an automation lane on the track with the chosen parameter. You may arm it, or not.
  6. arm the track, record some notes and use the knob that sends CC 28. That is not going to be recorded if you didn't arm the automation lane, but that's not the point here :wink: .
  7. open the midi mapping dialogue, remove the parameter (click the red cross or click 'reset all'), close the dialogue.
  8. open the midi mapping dialogue again and now it should show the parameter you just removed, but without a trigger (no CC value).
  9. remove the parameter once more. Now, open the dropdown menu with all available parameters and the "cutoff frequency" is not in the list anymore.
  10. fix it by activating "midi learn" and click the "cutoff frequency" button on the vsti. Now it's added again and in the list. If you don't fix it you can repeat steps h and i.
Below, a screenshot that shows the parameter "cutoff frequency" is not in the list anymore.
Our chosen parameter is now missing in the list.
Our chosen parameter is now missing in the list.
midi mapping missing parameter.jpg (83.44 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
EDIT: it happens with effects, too.
EDIT: i just discovered that the same thing happens without actually using a physical knob of sorts. Set up is the same, step d can be skipped, use the mouse to turn the knob on the vsti's interface (step f).
EDIT: i also found that you don't have to record anything during step f. You don't have to arm anything, just play it, as long as you use the knob that controls the parameter in the automation lane (either hardware, either the knob on the vst/vsti).

Also got this thing where recording automation in a loop doesn't overwrite all existing automation. As i'm not yet sure if the 2 are related, i'll add details later or make new post. Edit: seems unrelated. Will make a new post.
Last edited by Juno on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
We the undersigned being of sound mind hereby do declare:
'We henceforth pledge ourselves unto the power of the Upper Air'
Doesn't that sound simply super
Zeppelin visions of the future
Of course we all know very well it wouldn't work but what the hell
Juno

Recording automation in a loop

Post by Juno »

See attached project:
overwriting automation.zip
(242.26 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Edit: seems i forgot to clearly describe the problem... :roll: The problem is that when you're recording automation while looping, part of the automation doesn't register anymore once the loop jumps back to its beginning.
Not all automation: at least volume works as expected.

In the project, there are 3 tracks: 2 midi and 1 audio. There are also some automation lanes. Other things:
  • Track 1 is midi, and has a vsti with automation.
  • Track 2 is audio, and has an effect that's automated.
  • Track 3 is midi and has its volume being automated.
  • Notes and audio are chosen at random.
  • The project should be looped around the 2 midi clips.
  • The recording mode of the automation lane is 'overwrite'.
Steps to take:
  • Arm the desired automation lane, hit play and hit record.
  • Now, move the knob that changes the parameter you're recording. It may be through Control Surfaces or it may be the knob on the vst/vsti.
  • As the looped end is reached and playback/recording resumes at the beginning, it should now be impossible to record any new automation over what's already there, until a random point at around 1/4 of the clip is reached, and suddenly the automation starts registering again.
Notes:
  • The points where it starts registering are seen on the automation lanes of tracks 1 and 2. It may be before that or later than that on different takes.
  • Automating the volume (track faders) goes as expected, as seen on track 3.
  • SNAP to OFF seemed to make things worse, but i'm not sure, as the whole thing feels a bit random.
Acoustica Greg

Re: disappearing parameters (automation) | overwriting automation

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this! I was able to duplicate it in a new project. I've filed a problem report on it so it can be reviewed for a possible future update.

Greg
Juno

Re: disappearing parameters (automation) | overwriting automation

Post by Juno »

You're welcome, of course!