New computer advice

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Bobby4157

New computer advice

Post by Bobby4157 »

I currently have a really good lap top I work with and it does have its limitations. Soon I plan to buy myself a desktop strictly for recording. My income is limited due to being a brittle diabetic. Enough on that subject.

I am not a "computer expert" although I am not a novice either. My hobbies are guitars/music and computers. My plans are to invest in a desktop strictly dedicated to Mixcraft projects. Internet connected of course. I have spent a good deal of time on tigerdirect.com and walked away more confused than when I started my research today. I'd rather not "build my own" computer although I figured a quality soundcard (soundcards?) might need major considerations. A $500.00 range or less seems to work but on a limited income less is better. I understand Mac is really good, my budget probably dictates a PC.

Could someone make some starting recommendations? I understand this could be as subjective as auto preferences. I plan to utilize two screens and have those on the way. I have studio monitors I am very happy with and currently satisfied with my Tascam interface. Not being a fan of windows 8 does 10 work ok with Mixcraft 7 Pro Studio?

Thanks in advance for your time!
Bobby
Acoustica Greg

Re: New computer advice

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

A good strategy is to start by looking at gaming computers. They're designed for high performance video and audio.

Windows 10 does work well with Mixcraft, and in fact Mixcraft 7.5 has some enhancements that take specific advantage of Windows 10's new features. The main concern there is whether your Tascam has Windows 10 drivers.

Greg
Bobby4157

Post by Bobby4157 »

Thank you Greg. That sounds like a solid starting point for a computer. I will check with Tascam about the driver topic you mentioned. That is a concern due to the fact this not a discontinued model.
Bobby4157

Post by Bobby4157 »

I am currently using a 32 bit laptop. Since I am looking for more horsepower anyway would I be "happier" with 64 bit?

It seems Windows 10 hasn't completely saturated the gaming market with lots of gaming system having Windows 8. I think if I spend $300.00-$500.00 on a system I should try getting the most current operating system especially since Pro Studio works on a 64 bit system. Would that be a good or best case assumption?
Thanks again!
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

For just the pc $500 is sort of the line where you can get into pro territory but choices are few. I'm sure you could get a refurbished one that'll be a beast but if you're looking for new, you may want to wait and save a bit more....... Just my opinion. It really all depends on your needs and goals. For instance, I'm a beginner and just learning so I don't need to have a monster yet....... Yet..... :twisted:

Also, for me, shopping is half the fun!

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Questions are kind of scattered. More specific details might help you get more accurate answers.
Bobby4157 wrote:My plans are to invest in a desktop strictly dedicated to Mixcraft projects.
What kind of projects? Expected size, number of tracks, VSTi, etc.
Bobby4157 wrote:Internet connected of course.
Why exactly?
Bobby4157 wrote:I figured a quality soundcard (soundcards?) might need major considerations.
If you are primarily going to be using an interface, on a computer dedicated to use with a DAW, this might not be a consideration at all.
Bobby4157 wrote:I understand Mac is really good, my budget probably dictates a PC.
Mixcraft is a Windows program. While you can add software to run Windows on a Mac..... A Mac is more expensive than a similar PC. Adding Windows adds more expense. Doesnt appear to be the economical solution here.
Bobby4157 wrote:Plan to utilize two screens and have those on the way.
Make sure the included graphics card will support that.
Bobby4157 wrote:currently satisfied with my Tascam interface.
Make sure you can get compatible drivers for whatever you choose.
Bobby4157 wrote:Not being a fan of windows 8 does 10 work ok with Mixcraft 7 Pro Studio?
Feedback and comments so far are that 10 is working pretty well. My observation is that Windows 7 is still desirable due to stability and proven drivers.
Bobby4157 wrote:I am currently using a 32 bit laptop. Since I am looking for more horsepower anyway would I be "happier" with 64 bit?.....

.......especially since Pro Studio works on a 64 bit system.
I would suggest a 64 bit Windows version as desirable, even though it sounds like you will likely be running 32 Bit Mixcraft at this point.

Also, make sure to be aware of how much RAM capacity your motherboard may support for future expansion. Many "economy" computers have a limitation that you may not want to discover as a surprise later.
Bobby4157 wrote:A $500.00 range or less seems to work but on a limited income less is better.......

Could someone make some starting recommendations?
As noted, you are riding a line on that budget. Depends on your expectations. Everyone's needs are different.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Bobby4157

Post by Bobby4157 »

Thanks for the break down Mark and everyone. I have been looking over many of these options you pointed out. I was being some vague in my questions since I figure everyone needs are different. So I did expect somewhat blanket answers. I just needed and received good advice so far. In the end naturally all choice are mine. I have yet to come here unlike another forum I once was a member and not get sound answers and advice.

So Mark clear something up for me. Here's my lack of computer knowledge, you say adding Windows adds more expense. Without a better way of asking other just plain blunt....what do you mean? Won't my new computer need a Windows based operating system? Thanks everyone for your input and taking time to help out!
Bobby
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You mentioned Mac

Generally Mac = iOS, PC = Windows OS.
So choosing a MAC, and configuring it to run Windows, so you can run Mixcraft, could mean more expense.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
geo524

Post by geo524 »

I would definitely check out Cybertron gaming computers. Prices are great and all their computers are expandable. You can also tell them what you want and have them custom design the computer you want. I've had mine for about 3 years now and it has been flawless. They use all quality components in their builds and customer service is 2nd to none. Excellent pricing too depending on what you want. A quality outfit for sure.
Check them out here. http://www.cybertronpc.com/play.asp?cat ... =amdgaming
Win 10x64; Reaper; MixCraft 9 Pro; AMD FX4100 x4; 3.8GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Dual 23" HP Monitors; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen2; SSD 1TB; 3 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR 624 Monitors; Kali LP 8 monitors
Bobby4157

Post by Bobby4157 »

Thanks for all you advice!
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

my experience-

buy a used computer & hotrod it yourself.
Windows 7 is good & remember,it takes Microsoft about 3 years from release of a new OS to get all the bugs out-they basically do customer beta testing after the sale... :twisted:

graphics card- I have a AMD RADEON 6450 video/audio card that controls 2 monitors or a monitor & HDMI tv that I got for about $50.00 that I really like and works very well-
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graph ... 6000/6450#
I wish a I got a card that runs 3 screens or 2 monitors & the tv simultaneously but good ones can be a bit spendy as in upwards of $200-$300. :?

keep some budget set aside for an external hard drive for backup or in case you want to take your projects to different locations.