Mixcraft's highest quality reverb software?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

Mixcraft's highest quality reverb software?

Post by marc32123 »

I am looking to incorporate reverb in my mixes, now that I am finally getting a decent quality vocal because of learning how to properly mix. I read online that "Reverb is probably the most important effect in the studio, so don't compromise by using a low-quality software reverb plug-in just because you're short of processing power. Use a good external hardware reverb unit if you have one, otherwise choose a more powerful software plug-in to treat the vocal track in non-real time. This may involve off-line processing or doing a real-time 'bounce to disk' of the vocal track in isolation, via the plug-in."

I am not sure what all that means for sure, but I am wondering, what is Mixcraft's highest quality reverb effect? I know before I upgraded that there was an acoustica reverb and classic reverb...
Rolling Estonian

Re: Mixcraft's highest quality reverb software?

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I think that with what you've shared with all of us over the last couple of months, you shouldn't put the cart in front of the horse and worry about having a powerful reverb (whatever that means) just yet. I would also suggest not believing everything you read on the internet. While reverb is often times important to a mix, I wouldn't say it's the most important effect. Before even thinking about effects, I tried to really get a handle on recording the best parts I could and focusing on the very basics. I have spent, and still spend a lot of time messing with mic placements, for instance. Getting a great track recorded is the number one priority, then I worry about volume, panning, eq........ I'd also say that compression is more important than reverb but that's just how I see it.

It just seems to me that you're not studying the basics as much as you should. And saying that you're learning 'how to properly mix', I think there's a ton of stuff that your neglecting and I think you believe there are shortcuts and one step solutions....... Trust me, everyone will concur, there aren't. You get to Carnegie Hall by practicing, not in a cab. lol

Not trying to be rude but some of your posts are rather misguided and nonsensical for a beginner.

M
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Hi
For me too much reverb In a lot of mixes today.
I cannot sing for the life of me,but too many songs are mashed up with reverb.
When I listen to the old Hot Chocolate records Errol's voice has no reverb on It and dry sounds sometimes gives more warmth In my view.On the other side of the Atlantic a band similar to Hot chocolate-- Exile -Kiss You All Over, used the same approach.
I love reverb when It Is a subtle touch,which sounds nice on Saxophones or something tailing out into the distance.
Also choirs sound better with a little reverb.
It Is all a matter of personal choice,but I do feel reverb is overloaded In today's songs.

All the best
John

Ps It Is only my opinion
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

The "quality" of a reverb is subjective, dependent on where you use it in the mix.

A cheapo algorithmic reverb simulation might sound very good for a track. Don´t forget this all gets buried in the mix. You are not listening to solo tracks.

Mike Senior recommends using a good (which usually translates into "expensive" at least for CPU usage...) reverb for the master fx queue, albeit very subtle. Those are usually impulse responses.

Despite the subjective quality of those, even those sound horrible if misused. Load up one of those "Cathedral reverb" impulse response presets to your project and it makes you feel ill.

Fattening up tracks with reverb and/or echo is an art and a craft. Rather than searching for the ultimate reverb, you´d achieve much better results by tailoring the parameters like pre-delay, filtering, ducking or similar. A probably universal recommendation is, it should be rather perceived than heared.

Those topics are no light fare. May I suggest to pick up one of those books to get better acquainted with the matter or see what Graham has to say over at the recordingrevolution.com

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep.
I read online that "Reverb is probably the most important effect in the studio
The time you spent reading that could have been spent learning something remotely relevant to your stage.
All good advise in the replies, but especially the Rolling Estonian appears to be dead on here. A good reverb is nice, but it appears you are leaping FAR ahead here. That's no insult, its realistic guidance.
Always remember that those articles are written by people who haven't looked into your wallet, and have no idea what your level of experience is. Forget it for now.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

the inclued Classic Reverb works well enough for me on most things but I also like this one-
http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=568

that said,it's true there is an art to using a combination of reverb,delay,compression,& probably most importantly,EQ especially for vocals. of course then there's doubling,layering,backing vocals,etc.etc. just hitting a song w/ a single vocal track doesn't end up w/ a great result. :wink:
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Ok thanks for the insight guys, I am taking into consideration everything you said. For now though, I have a question about what Gypsy said, which was "of course then there's doubling,layering"...

I have heard of doubling and layering, but what exactly would ya'll define it as and how/why is it used?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Acoustica Pro Studio Reverb is not too shabby.

Greg
Rolling Estonian

Hopefully you've noticed a few folks mention Senior's name. This book is pretty much a must have.

http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-Sm ... ng+secrets

Not saying that there aren't other effective ways of obtaining information, this is laid out very well and written to where a novice can begin to grasp the concepts of mixing.

http://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-Sm ... ng+secrets

I also found this book very helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Mu ... or+dummies

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Acoustica Pro Studio Reverb is not too shabby.
Not too shabby at all, and that plays right into my point:
Its very likely you have the tools right in front of you to make better music. Learn to use what you have well enough and you will know if/when its time to expand.

As has been said by others before me, If Tiger Woods used my clubs he would play better than me. If I used Tiger Woods clubs, he would play better than me. So why would I forget that when I see a set just like his on sale?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

marc32123 wrote:Ok thanks for the insight guys, I am taking into consideration everything you said. For now though, I have a question about what Gypsy said, which was "of course then there's doubling,layering"...

I have heard of doubling and layering, but what exactly would ya'll define it as and how/why is it used?
doubling is simply singing the same part twice.

layering & more-
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much ... iques.html

http://signaturesound.com/recording-and ... -layering/

http://www.recordingreview.com/articles ... Page1.html
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

A lot of times, if you look into the hardware, there will be digital processing chips built into the circuitry. So essentially, what you'd have is just digital processing wearing a 3D overcoat. I believe that if you did a LOT of editing, an external unit could actually be handy... for reverbing on the fly. -h
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Mark Bliss wrote:(...) it appears you are leaping FAR ahead here.
This happens to anybody starting out with DAWs: at first, you get flattened with all the possiblities and plug-ins.
"Do I need to master all that before I can start?"

No. But you need a guideline. You can find your own, if you are the courageous type, but your learning curve will be much steeper if you do not re-invent the wheel.

It helped me a lot to read Mike Senior´s book who gets you on your way step-by-step. Look in the "tips and tools" sections for more.

I realize what I said earlier may not be what a beginner should start with (it answered the question, but not the intention. But sometimes this only unwinds during the growth of the thread). This is, if you are well on your way and decide to tackle the ´verb.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

aquataur wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote:(...) it appears you are leaping FAR ahead here.
This happens to anybody starting out with DAWs
Oh yes indeed! That comment certainly had a little personal experience behind it!

It never hurts to explore. But as with anything, building a good basic foundation and placing some due diligence on practice and gaining experience will get you to your goals much faster than jumping around.

This subject is filled with more temptations than most, making it easy to lose sight of the important fact that it's highly unlikely the gear holding you back from getting better. My suggestion is that if/when it DOES become the gear, you will be fully aware of it.
And that is something I am repeating to myself as well. There are toys I want. but they wont likely make me any better!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Mark Bliss wrote:There are toys I want. but they wont likely make me any better!
Did someone say toys?!?!?!?!?

The holidays are almost here you know??????? :lol:

The rule of thumb here, as with almost anything you want to become proficient at is, you can't rush through or skip the basics and essentials. Well, you can, but usually with not so great results. Name a musician who didn't spend hours upon hours alone practicing scales, mods, arpeggios etc. Name a producer or engineer who hasn't done the same by studying and putting practice into use. You can do it, it'll come, there just aren't any shortcuts. The sooner you grasp and embrace this, the better off you'll be.

PSA over. BTW Mark, I like the golf/Tiger analogy but he doesn't even play anymore, and more often than not, when he does, he sucks! lol :mrgreen:

M