Novation Launchpad Pro

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Anorax

Novation Launchpad Pro

Post by Anorax »

My university recently purchased a Novation Launchpad Pro, and is allowing me to give it a test drive for a few days. Does Mixcraft have any control surfaces set up for the Launchpad Pro? The "beta" layout doesn't really offer any functionality with the launchpad pro at all; rather, it impedes functionality of the launchpad.

[my question seems to answer itself, so I guess I should clarify that I'm asking if Acoustica is working on getting a functional control surface up and running for the Launchpad Pro?]
Acoustica Greg

Re: Novation Launchpad Pro

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're working on support for it, but we don't have a unit for testing. Which features are you looking for right now? We know that the arrow keys aren't working properly and we're working on fixing that.

Also, there was a problem in which three buttons don't light up in the grid. I've attached a zipped ini file that should correct that problem.
LaunchPad MK2 or Pro1.zip
Zip file with ini file
(561 Bytes) Downloaded 246 times
Once you've downloaded it, right-click to replace the file in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Acoustica\Mixcraft\ButtonControllers

Also, we've got a Google doc that shows how you can modify control surface templates yourself. It's linked from this FAQ entry: So you have a button controller and it's not on our list of pre-supported controllers, or you want it to work slightly differently?

Direct link to the Google Doc on how to customize button controller templates.

Greg
King Windom

Post by King Windom »

Hi
Thanks for the updated file. I hope you get Launchpad Pro working soon.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Novation has a lovely programmer's guide for the Launchpad Pro, which I'm currently fiddling with.

http://global.novationmusic.com/sites/d ... uide_0.pdf

EDIT: I can get the launchpad to work just fine through MIDIOX. Getting Mixcraft's color settings to work? Well, that's a bit different right now.

One thing that's funky about the Launchpad is that it's geared for Ableton's session view - which orients the standard sets into rows, rather than columns. This can be a bit confusing when configuring and using set triggers.
King Windom

Post by King Windom »

Thanks Anorax
I will try my hand at that while we wait for something official.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

I seem to have something that appears to be working. Your best bet is to change the initializationData line to read

Code: Select all

initializationData=0xF0,0x00,0x20,0x29,0x02,0x10,0x2C,0x03,0xF7
to get into Programming mode, which will be the most useful (any other "mode" gets a bit wonky).

Nav buttons work just fine, with this:

[buttons]
navUp=0x5B
navDown=0x5C
navLeft=0x5D
navRight=0x5E
masterStop=0x08
Keep in mind that the masterStop lines up with the "stop clip" button, but is defaulted to the bottom Set Launch button in the .ini file provided by Greg.

Set buttons work well, like so. The only confusing bit is that the orientation lines up more with Ableton than it does with Mixcraft's sets, meaning the top button controls the first column, not the first row.

[sets]
numSetButtons=8
setButtons=0x59,0x4f,0x45,0x3b,0x31,0x27,0x1d,0x13
Don't know if there's any way to effectively utilize the launchpad's fader mode within Mixcraft via the [sliders] .ini portion. Don't see any way to set up SysEx messages other than the initialization message.
EDIT: switching to faders isn't a problem, and coding the Volume Pan Sends buttons to correspond with the .ini isn't a problem, either. The only confusing thing is that when the Launchpad Pro is in Fader mode, using the sliders as "Pan" still shows the fader layout, despite the Launchpad supporting a "Pan" layout through SysEx messages.

What would be nice is if there's a way to control the bottom LED from Mixcraft, but this requires SysEx messages and I doubt there's a command in the control surface system that would allow an ability to 1) send SysEx messages, and 2) have the messages correspond to the current transport status. That'd be cool, though: Have the LED light up one color when playing, or use the "pulse" system to act as a visual metronome - one color for the initial beat, another for subsequent beats. Possibilities are nigh endless, if you're patient enough to code them.
King Windom

Post by King Windom »

Thank you for the continued posts.
I have a lot going on today but I hope to find time to try this. The programming of the Launchpad Pro looks a little daunting to me. I need all the help I can get.
Thanks again
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Attempted to attach my edited file, but couldn't seem to get any real way to do that. I've uploaded it to dropbox; see if this link works.
King Windom

Post by King Windom »

Got it . Works well. Thank You yet again. I doubt that I could have got that figured out myself.
Hopefully in future updates to Mixcraft color and some of the other functions can be addressed
Thank You!!
Acoustica Joe
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Joe »

Anorax,

Great work on this using the initialization string. (= There is no way to utilize the LP fader mode with visual feedback, at least. I have incorporated your fixes into the master version of the file.