Pan Laws

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jddrock

Pan Laws

Post by jddrock »

Hey there!
I am using Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio and I was just wondering if Mixcraft has any settings having to do with pan laws???? I just learned about other DAWs that have such tools and was wondering if Mixcraft does.
JonInc

Re: Pan Laws

Post by JonInc »

The only pan law settings I'm aware of in other DAWs allow the user to choose a different pan law. I'm not aware of any "tools" per se.

In any case, MC6 has a set pan law - IIRC, the most common one. Greg or Dan (or was it Eric?) stated as much in a post a while back.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Wouldn't you just try to keep your master at whatever DB level the pan law specifies?
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

I guess maybe I don't completely understand what pan laws are for. I was thinking that when you pan a track hard left or right the volume of that track will change from if it were straight up the middle and pan laws just correct the volume??? For example: If I was mixing a song and started setting all the faders where I wanted them before panning and had the levels exatcly where I wanted them, then I started panning, the pan laws would keep the level the same even though I am moving them left or right so it doesn't mess up my mix, right??? If I'm wrong here would someone be willing to explain it to me?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

My understanding is that the common pan laws used in most cases do just that, compensating for the fact that panning a track would lower the overall level if there was no compensation.
And it is my understanding that the various alternative choices that might be available in some software offers some choices on which, how, or even if the pan laws are applied.

And furthermore, I would find having those choices at best probably an option for very specific and probably advanced needs, or at worst, yet another esoteric option available "just because we can".

Or put another way, alternatives might be desired for some situations. but if I dont immediately know what those situations are, I probably dont need to be concerned with it very much........

Too many options can often be an obstacle to getting anything done.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

Ok, thank you very much, Mark Bliss! Just making sure I actually understood and not just assume what pan laws are. I'm still not sure I understand your question though, Eric? Sorry, I don't know a whole lot of mixing vocabulary.