Virtual Instrument not sticking to my track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Aj679

Virtual Instrument not sticking to my track

Post by Aj679 »

Hi,
I have a midi track in my project with a synth attached, however it won't play unless I choose the synth WHILE it's supposed to be playing. I actually downloaded a guitar pro file, transferred it to midi, and there were originally no tracks attached, but now it will never stick. Any ideas?
Mark Bliss

Re: Virtual Instrument not sticking to my track

Post by Mark Bliss »

Maybe try audio glue? :lol:

Honestly, maybe someone else understands, I am lost. A clearer description of what exactly you are doing and experiencing might help. "Not sticking" could mean anything.

What synth? How do you have it set up?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Aj679

Post by Aj679 »

My bad, I was writing that in a rush. Basically, whenever I choose a virtual instrument for this midi track, in this case a synth, it will not "stick", or remain chosen with the track. If I choose the virtual instrument and press play, I won't hear anything. The only way I hear anything is if I click on the virtual instrument while that midi track is playing.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I've converted GP files to midi. When I put them into MC they automatically assign an instrument to the track which you can change. The choices they make for instruments stink so I've switched them to better sounding instruments.

I don't get how when you choose an instrument for a track that it doesn't keep that instrument or 'stick'?

I'm messing with a tune now and I can freely change any instrument I like.........

M
Rolling Estonian

If you're using a MC synth are you choosing a preset for the synth?

M
Aj679

Post by Aj679 »

Yeah I'm choosing a preset. The problem is that the GP file didn't have a virtual instrument assigned to it to start with. I've tried changing the track, copy and paste, importing again, pretty much everything. Yeah, I'm using a preset.
Rolling Estonian

So other tracks work? That's weird but at least you know what's going on. I used to mess with GP songs all of the time, choosing instruments, amps, effects, vst's etc. It's a good learning tool.

M
the pannacotta army

Post by the pannacotta army »

Just a thought - I wonder if there is some midi (CC) event or data present at the start of the midi track (e.g. a bank/preset selection or volume, etc) that is triggering the VSTi to make some unwanted change when you press play.
I think these events are normally filtered out in the midi piano roll view but I presume there's a way to make them show up in MC, though I'm not sure how (and I'm not in front of my music PC at the moment to try).
Perhaps someone else can step in here.
Juno

Post by Juno »

the pannacotta army wrote:Just a thought - I wonder if there is some midi (CC) event or data present at the start of the midi track (e.g. a bank/preset selection or volume, etc) that is triggering the VSTi to make some unwanted change when you press play.
I think these events are normally filtered out in the midi piano roll view but I presume there's a way to make them show up in MC, though I'm not sure how (and I'm not in front of my music PC at the moment to try).
Perhaps someone else can step in here.
That's what i'm thinking too. Select the clip, go to Sound Tab, open the dropdown menu and select "program changes" to view if there's any data. For "bank select" you can do the same. If the name in that dropdown menu is bold, as is the case for the velocities, it should have data.

The option to remove these messages is in Mixcraft Preferences, under "midi". Maybe it's set to Off.
Attachments
program changes check.jpg
program changes check.jpg (113.71 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
We the undersigned being of sound mind hereby do declare:
'We henceforth pledge ourselves unto the power of the Upper Air'
Doesn't that sound simply super
Zeppelin visions of the future
Of course we all know very well it wouldn't work but what the hell