Interface Slowdown

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Brokami

Interface Slowdown

Post by Brokami »

I'm not sure what has brought this on, but lately, Mixcraft's interface has been suffering constant, huge delays. The screen will only refresh once every couple of seconds on a midsized, non-intensive project, and maybe every 4 on something that would usually fill my CPU during playback.
But this isn't during playback. This is just while editing, no activity. No effects enabled, no VSTs producing sound. I can still interact with the menus, but the screen remains frozen for a few seconds at a time. Sound is unaffected.
Brokami

Re: Interface Slowdown

Post by Brokami »

It's worth mention that my PC is running Win 10, 64 bit. I have an i7 2600K running at 4.4GHz. 24GB of ram, and Mixcraft 7, latest 64-bit build is installed on my SSD. There is nothing bottlenecking it performance wise, that I'm aware of.
Brokami

Post by Brokami »

One last thing.
Saving a project results in a 0kb file and Mixcraft freezing.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well judging by the specs, it doesnt seem it would be a computer resource limitation! Wow.

A lot of these problems seem to often be traced back to a specific problematic VST. But thats a guess.
A number of people have reported issues when running the 64 Bit version of Mixcraft combined with 32 Bit plugins, but again, a guess.
A log file might provide some useful clues. If you provide one via a contact for the support team, you will likely soon narrow in on the cause.

http://acoustica.com/kb/where-is-my-mix ... _1147.html
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Brokami

Post by Brokami »

Well, I am using 32-bit plugins on a 64-bit system. A lot of them. The thing that befuddles me is that even a project that ran fine on a similarly specced computer, runs like absolute balls on mine, in terms of the UI. Same goes for projects that worked fine prior to this. I'll submit a report.
Brokami

Post by Brokami »

It's definitely a problem related to the 64-bit version of Mixcraft. Because loading the same (an older version that's less RAM intensive) project in 32-bit is fine. Loading that same older version in 64-bit results in a laggy interface.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

Brokami wrote:It's definitely a problem related to the 64-bit version of Mixcraft. Because loading the same (an older version that's less RAM intensive) project in 32-bit is fine. Loading that same older version in 64-bit results in a laggy interface.
click the Windows icon lower left taskbar on your screen,then type task mgr into the search bar,
when it opens click on processes,click bot hthe CPU & MEMORY mini tabs in turn while the project is playing see what's pegging out @ the top. you may be able to just end a process-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/12/63/63 ... w.w654.jpg
Brokami

Post by Brokami »

gypsy101 wrote:
Brokami wrote:It's definitely a problem related to the 64-bit version of Mixcraft. Because loading the same (an older version that's less RAM intensive) project in 32-bit is fine. Loading that same older version in 64-bit results in a laggy interface.
click the Windows icon lower left taskbar on your screen,then type task mgr into the search bar,
when it opens click on processes,click bot hthe CPU & MEMORY mini tabs in turn while the project is playing see what's pegging out @ the top. you may be able to just end a process-

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/12/63/63 ... w.w654.jpg

As I said, I have a beefy CPU. It's not anywhere near max load unless I'm actually playing the song. The problem is that it's still slowed down when I'm not playing back the song.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

64-bit Mixcraft automatically loads 32-bit plugins, but running 32-bit plugins in 64-bit Mixcraft adds CPU overhead. The amount of overhead will vary depending on the 32-bit plugins you're using. Some 32-bit plugins are very CPU hungry and some are more modest in their demands.

If you really want to use 64-bit Mixcraft, you might try limiting the number of 32-bit plugins you're using. You could see if there are 64-bit versions of those plugins. Finally, you could freeze (Ctrl+F) the tracks that have 32-bit plugins if you're not currently working on the tracks.

The audio quality is the same with 32- or 64-bit Mixcraft, so there's really no reason to use 64-bit Mixcraft unless you are using some really memory-hungry 64-bit plugins. You should be able to find 32-bit versions of just about any plugin if you want to switch to 32-bit Mixcraft.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I was going to suggest, first thing to try- Based on your description, you should try running the 32 bit version.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Switching back to 32 version had a significant positive effect on latency for me. In reviewing resource monitor in 64 and there was almost a 1 to 1 relationship of 32 bit plugins used to a mixcraft32 file running (don't recall the full file name). In 64 I literally jumped up to 1324 ms from the 3ms I was getting in MC6. Dropping down to 32 put me back at 3ms.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The other factor in this is that some 64-bit ASIO drivers can be a bit fidgety.
outteh

Post by outteh »

A bit confused here! Latency is impacted by CPU usage? I thought latency was all tied into the audio interface and high CPU usage caused dropouts or noise?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I guess we're talking about the ability to have smooth playback with a lower latency setting. If your CPU is getting hammered, you can try to compensate by increasing the latency setting to buffer and smooth out playback.

Greg
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

My experience was latency during record was significantly effect using 64. Latency during playback was less noticeable.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind