Classic compressor vocal definition

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

MikeMello

Classic compressor vocal definition

Post by MikeMello »

I like to use the vocal definition preset on my rap vocals but im not sure if squashes the vocals too much as its like 100:1 ratio with -48 threshold which goes against the common 4:1 or so ratio. Why does this preset have such a high ratio?
AHornsby

Re: Classic compressor vocal definition

Post by AHornsby »

It's been said that having to use a compressor in the first place, is the result of a sub-normal take. Nowadays, it's use is becoming more mainstream -- which is due mostly to ignorance. If you look at what compression actually does to the waveform, you might decide to increase your mic gain when you do your vocal and then tweek the result with a limiter.

To answer your question, it's because all compressor settings aren't alike. With the Kjerhus Classic Compressor, the ratio for a vocal enhancement is set at Infinity:1. It's a matter of preferences.

-h
Last edited by AHornsby on Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cubby

Post by cubby »

I don't use compression anymore on vocals.
I like the Oxford Limiter. Works very well for a balance.
After I adust vocal amplitudes and pitch with melodyne. It works very nicely.
just my 2 cents.

cubs :D
MikeMello

Post by MikeMello »

So since its an infinity to 1 ratio is this preset more like a limiter? Is vocal definition ok to use on my rap vocals or is an infinity to 1 ratio ruining the sound?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

MikeMello wrote:So since its an infinity to 1 ratio is this preset more like a limiter?
Yeah, that preset looks pretty much like a limiter. And "vocal definition" seems like an odd name for it. But then who knows what the intention was. That thing is pretty old.......
Does yours show the settings when you mouse over? In looking at this, mine seems to be buggy.
MikeMello wrote:Is vocal definition ok to use on my rap vocals or is an infinity to 1 ratio ruining the sound?
Well, I think only you can really answer that. Does it do what you want?
You could ask a hundred different people what they think on this and get a hundred different answers and be nearly certain ninety nine will disagree with any other given answer.

I think you need to ask yourself the question, "what am I trying to achieve by adding this processor?" then evaluate whether it is providing the desired result. Tip: compare active and bypassed with the level matched to evaluate what is really going on. Otherwise the louder compressed sound always wins. Its the nature of human hearing.

I personally would never use that preset this way, (Or any other way :shock: ) nor would I use a limiter in this way. But some people would and do, and it doesn't make either of us wrong IMO.

I did a little research after the last time this very kind of question came up. Will share what I was told later (when I have more time,) if you are interested.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
MikeMello

Post by MikeMello »

Thank you, ya for some reason it makes my vocals sound good or so i think. I'll try to post some vocals samples with and without the plugin later and see what you guys think. Thanks again for the feedback
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

MikeMello wrote:Thank you, ya for some reason it makes my vocals sound good or so i think. I'll try to post some vocals samples with and without the plugin later and see what you guys think. Thanks again for the feedback
No problem. I'm looking forward to the vocals. -h