..more newbee stuff - Audio Interface and Mic recommendations

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ethan417

..more newbee stuff - Audio Interface and Mic recommendations

Post by ethan417 »

Hi

first i want to thank everyone for there help.

i'm a total newbee - i have never done any recording.

i want to record my acoustic and electric guitar and vocals.

i've read that i need to have an audio interface and of course a mic.
i could really use help with this decision.

i've read a lot of good things about the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - is this a good choice?

as for a mic - i've heard a lot of good things about the Blue Yenti

thanks so much - Ethan
Rolling Estonian

Re: ..more newbee stuff - Audio Interface and Mic recommendations

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Hey Ethan!

You're going to get a million and 6 opinions when it comes to both of your questions, it's not the million, it's the six that'll get you!

The Focusrite is a very popular interface and seems to be a very good choice. If you're just going to have guitar and vocals you won't need more than two inputs for now, if you want more you can always upgrade.

As for mic's...... That's a whole other ball of wax. I'm not too familiar with the Blue Yeti but I know that the company is a good one. I started with a AT 20-20 for my first condenser mic, it's $100. Again, a ton of choices and as many opinions. Do some research and have fun with it. For me half the fun is researching and shopping!

I would also suggest looking at a dynamic mic, like a Shure SM 57, for recording amps and instruments etc. The 57 was my first mic and it's been invaluable to me. Just my opinion of course (one of the 6!)

Lastly, I would make sure you get good cables. Your setup is only as good as your weakest component and a lot of people tend to overlook the simple stuff.

I'm sure others will be chiming in with additional advice, don't let all the info get to you. It's a lot but if this is your hobby, like it is mine, have fun with it!

There are a ton of sites and reviews out there that can also help you along.

Also, there's a free class available from Berklee which I took and found it very useful. There's a session coming up and you can't beat the price! https://www.coursera.org/learn/music-production

Good luck and keep us posted.

M
ethan417

Post by ethan417 »

M

Thanks so much for your help

E
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Ethan,

First of all, welcome to the forum. Since you're looking for an audio interface and microphone(s), I thought I would point out that some places offer a "recording package". Here is a link to one offered by Musician's Friend. Other companies offer similar packages.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/recordin ... 90-package

Something like this will offer you some options IF you need several pieces of equipment. When I got started in this hobby, I bought a package that included 2 studio monitors, earphones, 2 condenser mic's, 2 mic stands, and all cables required to hook it all up. The mic's in my package are MXL 990 and 991. So far, they work for me.

Just another option to explore.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

just another option,& I won't get into the debate on audio interface soundcad vs. computer's onboard sound card but w/ a Blue Yeti (or other brand) USB mic you don't even need an audio interface to get started.
http://www.bluemic.com/yeti/
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/usb-micr ... microphone