How to separate songs in single track recording

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

geobee

How to separate songs in single track recording

Post by geobee »

Hi all, have a need to record a dozen analogue tunes from a tape machine into Mixcraft. The sound quality is very good studio quality. I would like to just start the tape rolling and record all the songs onto the one lane/track, then return later and convert them to MP3 files. The issue I have is, how do I separate the songs so that they don't end up as one long song in MP3. The person needs to be able to go directly to a file without searching forward or backwards to find the song start etc. I am reluctant to sit at my studio set up to manually do each song, as it can be very time consuming. I'm sure there would be a way to do this, but I am only a casual user of my system, and never seem to have time to learn it through properly. I am using Mixcraft 7 Pro Studio. Any help would be great. Many thanks. Geoff
geobee

Re: How to separate songs in single track recording

Post by geobee »

Thank you kindly for that. Will save lots of time. Regards. Geoff
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Just look at the wave form and if the levels are reduced significantly, that would probably indicate where one song ends and another is beginning.. usually 2-6 seconds. You'll still have to check it by listening to it so that you're not inadvertently dividing up a single song. -h
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

It couldn't take that long could it?

M
geobee

Post by geobee »

Still having issues with this. Recorded around a dozen songs into the one track. Then opened the track marker section and selected track marker wizard. Ticked the settings that I thought should work and then hit ok. It did put the marker flags between each song, but when I mix down to MP3, the songs are still all as one long track, not separated. I am only a casual user of Mixcraft, so you will have to excuse my ignorance. Many thanks. Geoff
geobee

Post by geobee »

I think the problem is that I haven't named each separate song within the track markers. Still working on this one.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

geobee wrote:Still having issues with this. Recorded around a dozen songs into the one track. Then opened the track marker section and selected track marker wizard. Ticked the settings that I thought should work and then hit ok. It did put the marker flags between each song, but when I mix down to MP3, the songs are still all as one long track, not separated. I am only a casual user of Mixcraft, so you will have to excuse my ignorance. Many thanks. Geoff
you need to select-Create Track for CDs or Audio Files (under the green bar)-
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Do you have the "CD Track Markers" box checked in the marker wizard window? (Bottom left corner.)

*Sorry, can't seem to attach images as the forum is responding with a "quota full" notice.
** Gypsy seems to be able to, so perhaps its just here.

I honestly don't know, but the boxes in the marker edit window and marker wizard window probably have the same function, the wizard function just sets that for all, and the edit window for one specific marker.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
mick

Post by mick »

Dumb ? suggestion removed. :roll:
Last edited by mick on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

gypsy101 wrote:
geobee wrote:Still having issues with this. Recorded around a dozen songs into the one track. Then opened the track marker section and selected track marker wizard. Ticked the settings that I thought should work and then hit ok. It did put the marker flags between each song, but when I mix down to MP3, the songs are still all as one long track, not separated. I am only a casual user of Mixcraft, so you will have to excuse my ignorance. Many thanks. Geoff
you need to right click between each song,add a marker, & select-Create Track for CDs or Audio Files (under the green bar).
(the automatic marker wizard has never worked well for me personally)
EDIT-oops,I clicked quote instead of edit...it's still early here. :roll:
mick

Post by mick »

The dumb suggestion I deleted may not have been so dumb after all. :D
I suggested splitting the one track into multiple parts / songs so if this is correct you should have created a period of silence between each song, then follow this video by Acoustica Eric referring to markers as already suggested.
Use CRTL+ALT to split then use the right arrow key to shift the right section of track by whatever the quantise setting is (I think) and there should be your "between track silence" or move the track by mouse. I think I saw something referring to inserting silence during the process in M7 or just imagined it most likely. :roll:

https://youtu.be/xaLyg_5FiYE
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

just send me the whole thing & I can have it done in less than 2 minutes.sheesh...it's not that hard. :roll: :lol:
(probably because I do it almost daily)
geobee

Post by geobee »

Problem solved, it's called Spin it again. Proper tool for the job, and sooo easy. And cheap too.