...Blue Spark mic?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ethan417

...Blue Spark mic?

Post by ethan417 »

Hi

First i want to thank all of you for your help and i slowly make my way forward in this journey.

i was at Guitar Center last night - they are running an in store special on the Blue Spark microphone - $149.

Can you guys weigh in on this?

There are several mics in the same price range - but i think the time has come to pull the trigger.

The other mics are
Audio Technica AT 2020
Audio Technica AT 2035
AKG P220

thanks so much - Ethan
Rolling Estonian

Re: ...Blue Spark mic?

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I can only speak for the AT2020 and the 2040 now. That price is really good down from $199!

My philosophy has always been that I'm never going to have the best/most expensive gear, but I'm never going to go with low end bargain stuff either. It's served me well as when I've upgraded I've been able to sell the old and put the money towards the new. Just an FYI, GC will match most big box competiters pricing so I always have my barcode scanner app at the ready when I go there, pretty much every big box does this, I've saved a bunch with that app! Where GC will get you is with their accessories, I almost always buy smaller stuff online as the prices are much better than in store.

M
ethan417

Post by ethan417 »

M

Thanks so much

Quick Question - barcode scanner - can you suggest one for my Android - i'm such a newbee

-Ethan
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Here https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en. I also have the Amazon app which has it included. I have saved hundreds at Best Buy with that app.

M
ethan417

Post by ethan417 »

Thank you - E
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I cant add much, having no experience specifically with the Blue Spark..... So what follows is nothing more than an opinion. Take it for what its worth.

Blue has a good reputation. That may mean they are a good product, or it may mean they are well marketed. Dunno. They do trend toward the pricey compared to others with similar features and specs.
That's a pretty fancy choice for a first mic. Fancy wood box, mount optional I believe....

There's similar mics for a lot less, with a mount and no fancy wood box- Though I am not vouching for any as I don't have them either.

Examples abound, here is but one: https://brownbaggear.com/shop/gear/mics ... icrophone/
Note that it also includes a windscreen and mic cable too.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HI,

Not sure if you're considering a USB microphone, but if you are, you may end up with more latency than if you got an audio interface and a microphone.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I'm not positive, but I think the Spark model is a XLR condenser Greg. Blue does offer several USB models though, and yes, while they can be useful, they also have drawbacks.
And I would concur, USB would not be a good first or only mic choice IMO.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There's a USB version of the Blue Spark, just as there's a USB version of the AT2020. That's what made me think of it, because I have a USB AT2020 here.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ah, good point then eh? 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page