It's always something - SFZ issues

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

It's always something - SFZ issues

Post by BillW »

Earlier this year I bought a collection of drum samples. I used them to create an extensive SFZ file to trigger them, using Plogue/sforzando as a VST inside Mixcraft.

After moving to my new computer, I reloaded sforzando and I pointed the SFZ code to where the samples are now. In the song I recorded with them, everything played just fine. That was a couple weeks ago.

Today I wanted to use this again for a new song, and I get an error saying it can 't find the install directory- please reinstall. Sure enough, when I open the other song, I get the same error.

Obviously I messed up something. So I uninstalled Plogue sforzando and reinstalled. Same error. I made sure Mixcraft plugin preferences for VSTs was pointing to every directory that had any piece of sforzando - same error.

I have no idea what happened. Windows 10 upgraded recently so maybe that;s it?

I'm about ready to give up on sforzando but I can't find any other SFZ player. I may have to give up completely on the SFZ format and go to another (SF2?). Very frustrating.

Any ideas from anyone? (I always feel my questions are very much out of the norm.)

Thanks,
Bill
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Manfred

Re: It's always something - SFZ issues

Post by Manfred »

Hi Bill,

try this: http://www.zampler.de/

Zampler is a free SFZ-sampleplayer (just a .dll, no installer) in 64- and 32-bit-versions with a lot of features (multiple effects, arpeggiator, matrix).
On the homepage are a whole bunch of free librairies available for download.

The homepage is in German (including tutorial), but I think there are tons of homepages concerning Zamper in English too.

Merry Christmas to whoever is reading this,

Manfred
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Things to try:

After uninstall, go to C:\Program Files (or Programs Files x86 for 32 bit) and delete any leftover sforzando folders. I'd check the Program Data folder as well.

Try reinstalling with "Run as Administrator" to make sure it's giving everything proper permissions.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Joninc
I did do that but same issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

Manfred
Sounds like that would be what I need. I will try that out. . Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
tufif

Post by tufif »

The same thing happened to me after the recent Windows 10 update on my laptop. It still runs fine on my Windows 8 desktop though. Have you found a solution yet? I'm using a commercial SFZ file I paid for that I can't get to run in any other SFZ player so far, so it's very frustrating.
BillW

Post by BillW »

I've solved my problem by using a different sfz player. One that's just a DLL and doesn't do an install. I don't recall the name (not at my computer) but it's something like TWX.

I do suspect it's a Windows 10 issue. .

JonInc

Post by JonInc »

This one, perhaps?

http://www.tx16wx.com/