Optimising performance in the Win 10 / Mixcraft 7.5 world

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

blaze591

Optimising performance in the Win 10 / Mixcraft 7.5 world

Post by blaze591 »

Apologies if this has been dealt with elsewhere, but I'm perplexed as to whether I should be setting up audio drivers differently now that Mixcraft has been optimised for Windows 10's audio capabilities.

I have a Windows 10 machine with an i7 and 16 Gb of memory, and the audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with the latest Beta drivers 3.2.2.292. I have traditionally used the Asio drivers, and generally a sample rate of 48000 Hz and a sample size of 256. This seems sufficient to allow the VSTs to do there job without audio glitches, and to allow real time monitoring of Amplitube 3. Latency reported by Mixcraft is 5 msec, but by the driver 25 msec. Never been sure why there's a difference, but it seems to be acceptable for recording.

My question is; now that Mixcraft seems to have been optimised for a low latency mode, should I now be ditching Asio and moving to Core Audio to get the best performance? Should I be looking to optimise the PC in a different way to get the best out of both the drivers and the PC? Brief experiments with Core RT seem to suggest an audio performance at least on a par with Asio, but an inability to select a specific mic input on the 2i2 interface. Is indeed the 2i2 interface the best solution any more? The press release for 7.5 suggested some manufactured have very low level latency drivers available? I've long been suspicious of Focusrite's ability to write decent drivers in support of their otherwise excellent hardware. The fact that their drivers never seem to be updated - in the fact the latest official release driver is dated April 2014 and doesn't say it's tested with Win 10 - doesn't give me confidence that their drivers are optimised in any way for Windows 10.

Any technical suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks, Iain
Acoustica Greg

Re: Optimising performance in the Win 10 / Mixcraft 7.5 world

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I would suggest sticking with the ASIO drivers unless you're having some kind of technical problems with them. Make sure you've got the latest updated drivers. For many audio interfaces, ASIO is the only way to get access to all the inputs on the device for simultaneous recording on multiple tracks, and you'll still be taking advantage of the fact that Mixcraft's audio mixing threads are given higher priority over other processes.

Of course, you can try core audio and see how it works for you. Not all audio drivers are optimized for Windows 10 yet, so it may take a while for all the core audio goodies to come into play. Also, the first release of Windows 10 had some bugs in core audio, so make sure you get the latest update for Windows 10.

Greg
JohnS

Re: Optimising performance in the Win 10 / Mixcraft 7.5 world

Post by JohnS »

Hi
I run an I7 computer and upgraded my ram to the highest which Is 12 gig and have got a Scarlett 6i6 sound module.
My ram goes up In 2 gig stages and always Install ram all the same make.My I7 was purchased In 2010.
Make sure you have all the drivers and latest chipset In your computer.You can get free programs on the net to check all of that.
I would go at 44000hz

ONLY USE THE ASIO FOCUSRITE DRIVERS!!!! 6 - 7 ms Is good. Focusrite drivers have been optimized for Win !0.
I am not using Focusrite beta drivers and all Is ok.I always stick to the proven drivers.

Apart from all of that the computer Is fast and furious with Mixcraft 7.5.
I do have Sonar Pro which is better for me with the Tyros 5 keyboard for midi editing as the system exclusive links straight away with the Tyros 5.The only problem with Sonar sys ex is It misses Instruments with Portamento.Its all to do with reading ones and zero's and Is lagging behind a few ticks,which a cal file does rectify ,but I cannot do computer language and some kind guy did one for me.Cakewalk are not really Interested In the bedroom musicians.
I hope In Mixcraft 8 that Sys ex will be fully Implemented for communication with the Tyros or midi Instruments with a Ins file for sounds. In all other departments Mixcraft Is better especially with the workflow and vst Instruments.
Eventually hope to drop Sonar as It Is too cluttered.

All the best
john