how to make my voice sound professional?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

curtbone

how to make my voice sound professional?

Post by curtbone »

hello everyone!! :) i was wondering if someone thats out there can help make my voice blend in with the music on mix craft 7? just basically make my voice sound better because the way it is now it sounds like my voice is not blending with the beat, i would also like to learn how to add effects to my voice as well thank you! an also im a singer if that helps

Re: how to make my voice sound professional?

Post by 7915983 »

It sounds like you don't know hot to mix, if that's the case, I would recommend you check out channel called therecordingrevolution on youtube.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hi Curt, and welcome to the Mixcraft forum.

Its impossible to give an all in one answer to this question. Especially without knowing what style, genre etc, and without hearing an example of the singer.

But a starting point could be suggested perhaps.

First tip, work on getting great recordings. You most likely want them recorded dry, so you need to address your recording space, mic location and position, etc. Dont try to fix poor recordings, it will only lead to a big waste of time.

Next, I'd probably contemplate what the vocal track needs and based on that decide if it needs any corrective EQ. Is there a frequency range that is to dominant that needs attenuation? Or to weak that needs a little boost? If so I would address that first. If some de-essing is needed, this would be the time. Best to avoid needing it IMO.

Next I might consider inserting a compressor. But how to set it would again depend on your style and personal taste. Myself, I would suggest just a mild bit of taming to even out the dynamics a little at this stage.

Next, another matter of taste and style. Delay and/or reverb. For many styles I like a hint of slapback delay. Just barely there.

Again depending on style, some people might add a hint of distortion or saturation. Depends on what you are going for. A lot of styles benefit from just a hint of hair or grit.

I might consider ending with another incidence of compression, again, probably lightly depending on the style, and there might be a need for a touch-up pass through some light EQing, and maybe ending with a hint of tape saturation.

But then I could be way off base, not having heard you or having much idea what you are trying to achieve. Just wild guesses and some typical ideas. 8)

Fill in some of the blanks, and maybe we can be of more assistance!

Edit: Sami beat me to the submit button and points out another unknown. We have no way of knowing if you have any experience mixing. It would help to know that so we can guide you to more specific solutions.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

I have had good luck starting with some of the effect chains that come with Mixcraft.

Try those and see if anything gets you closer to the sound you would like, and then you can adjust the individual effects to better suit.
-Erik
blaze591

Post by blaze591 »

Mark makes some excellent points, but I would add that it can sometimes help to consider other elements of the mix, and their relative position and pan. I usually pan guitars, bass, drums etc slightly off centre - not excessively so and in a balanced manner - and this has the effect of widening the whole mix. This can leave a nice "space" dead centre for the vocals to sit. EQ of other instruments is very important, again, to leave a bit of room sonically for the vocals.

HTH, Iain