Tip on how to get a good MIDI vst Bass sound.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

H77

Tip on how to get a good MIDI vst Bass sound.

Post by H77 »

Hello
I want to get a good heavy MIDI Bass sound for rock and heavy metall music with the vst's That are included with mixcraft 7. Looking forward hearing from you
fredfish

Re: Tip on how to get a good MIDI vst Bass sound.

Post by fredfish »

Are you talking Mixcraft 7 or 7 Pro?

What I would do is first off transpose your MIDI bass line by -12 semitones (after choosing your virtual instrument for the MIDI line - IE slab bass, fretless bass etc. - I also find a clean guitar sound transposed down by 12 semitones works well).

Then add Shred amp simulator if you are using Mixcraft 7 (or 6 for that matter) and try different presets till you get close to your desired sound, then tweak the settings till you get something you like - you can also try this with the voxengo amp simulator. If you have 7 Pro you have another option - the Studio Devil Amp Simulator.

The other options is of course to get a cheap Bass guitar!!

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

John
H77

Post by H77 »

fredfish wrote:Are you talking Mixcraft 7 or 7 Pro?

What I would do is first off transpose your MIDI bass line by -12 semitones (after choosing your virtual instrument for the MIDI line - IE slab bass, fretless bass etc. - I also find a clean guitar sound transposed down by 12 semitones works well).

Then add Shred amp simulator if you are using Mixcraft 7 (or 6 for that matter) and try different presets till you get close to your desired sound, then tweak the settings till you get something you like - you can also try this with the voxengo amp simulator. If you have 7 Pro you have another option - the Studio Devil Amp Simulator.

The other options is of course to get a cheap Bass guitar!!

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

John
Hi John
And thanks for your answer. I will try it :) I have mixcraft 7 and not the pro version. I have to search Google for the -12 semitones because i have never heard That before.

Thanks again

Cheers

Henrik
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Select the audio clip and then look at the Sound tab:

2 semitones = 1 note, so going from C to D would be +2 semitones, but going from C to C sharp would only be +1.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Henrik, the important thing to note here is that you can lower an instrument by an octave, by setting that to -12
This may or may not help you, depending on the sound you are altering.
Having searched similarly, I can add that a decent realistic bass guitar sound via VSTi isn't as common or simple to find as one might expect. Most aren't very good, or are more trouble to use than the solution warrants. Some of the better sounding ones are rather pricey, and/or run on overcomplicated engines such as Kontakt. If that's not a problem for you, the Scarbee P-Bass for Kontakt can sound pretty good for example.
I am a fan of the inexpensive bass guitar and DI box solution myself, for simplicity and sanity's sake.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
H77

Post by H77 »

Hi Greg and Mark,

Thanks for your answers, lets say That i play my guitar in half step up( capo on 1st fret. How do i set the midi vst Bass to also be in half step Up??

Best regards Henrik
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Your question could be interpreted a few ways, are you unfamiliar with the terminology perhaps?

1 Semi-tone =1/2 step = 1 fret

1 Tone = 1 full step = 2 frets

So if you capo up one fret, and play to a bass track that was written in E for example, you would transpose up 1 Semi-tone to F. Or G to G-sharp.

On the other hand, if you were for example to use a keyboard to play/record a VSTi along with the recorded guitar that was capo'd up 1 fret, you would simply play in the correct key.......

Hope that helps?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

H77 wrote:Hello
I want to get a good heavy MIDI Bass sound for rock and heavy metall music with the vst's That are included with mixcraft 7. Looking forward hearing from you
I don't know where these guys are going w/ all this "detuning" stuff but I'll assume you have a bass guitar.

a good rig is-
Classic Compressor
(maybe add Classic EQ)
Pultronic tube eq
(maybe) Classic Chorus-run mono,rate on zero,& light depth
GGate (if neccessary)

duplicate that track but use only-
Acoustica Distortion (light fuzz)
run this track @ about 1/2 the loudness of the 1st track or until you can barely hear it when both tracks are solo'd
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I dunno, I read MIDI to mean MIDI. My read on the thread was that the OP was either 1: Playing to an existing MIDI bass track and desired to pitch it to match a guitar capo'd up 1 semitone, or 2: wanting to write/play/program a MIDI bass track to match his capo'd up guitar.
I took a stab at an answer based on those assumptions, admitting I wasn't sure.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page