Vocal Pitch Correction

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

stavrotheman

Vocal Pitch Correction

Post by stavrotheman »

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and Mixcraft Pro Studio 7.

Having just purchased the software, and specifying my requirements to the supplier i.e. it must have Vocal Pitch Correction, I simply cannot find where this is in the programme.
By VPC I mean that when recording my vocals, there may be notes that I have either not quite reached, or notes that I have over-reached, in other words either flat or sharp.
Rather than re-record the whole vocals, I need simply to adjust each individual note in order to bring it to the correct level.

After consulting my supplier, I am informed that:- "According to the expert the Mixcraft 7 has something that is called a GSnap Pitch Correction, that you can use to alter the pitch in vocals. He has not been able to test it himself but it should have the same effect".

However I still cannot locate this "GSnap PC" in the programme, neither is it listed in the 382 page manual.
Does anyone know if/where this may be or have I been sold something that does simply will not do what I require it to do?

Thank you for any advice/comments.

John
TrevsAudio

Re: Vocal Pitch Correction

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi John and welcome to the forums..

Just click the FX button on a track and in the dialog that opens, click in the <Select an Effect> box. In the search box, just type in pitch and the effect will appear.

To be honest, I've not used it as I have other pitch correction software, but help will be on hand if you run into difficulties.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (66.04 KiB) Viewed 11645 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Hi John

Welcome to the forum.

GSnap is a VST Effect.

To access it select the track that you want to work on and then click on the fx button for that track. Then select GSnap from the drop down list. (See the picture).
GSnap.jpg
GSnap.jpg (266.05 KiB) Viewed 11645 times
I havent use it myself - perceived wisdom is that people have had a significant amount of different success with it.

Here is a video from Mixcraft 5 that uses Gsnap (to create the T-Pain effect but will give you a starting point).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxF02fqG9I

Best of luck - and come back with more questions if and when you need.

Cheers

John

*EDIT - post crossed with Trevor
stavrotheman

Post by stavrotheman »

Thank you all for your kind assistance.
I will check out what you have told me and see what it comes up with - here's hoping!!

John
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

No problem - just remember the better you can get it to begin with the better the final result will be - a little bit of tweaking here and there is fine, but the more you need to adjust the less effective the result will be.

This one is perhaps a little too much :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Rhh_4GZmU

Cheers

John
JoeSantor

Post by JoeSantor »

GSnap may not be the most powerful pitch correction tool, but it works. Here is my humble advise to get you going:

1. Once you chose GSNap on your track, Start by selecting the key of the song, by cklicking "Configure".

2. Use the default preset called "Subtle". This preset is the perfect starting point. If you need more correction than this setting provides, it takes more effort tweaking the knobs to get what you want.

3. If your vocals only needs correction at a few points during your performance, then I suggest that you duplicate the vocal track to a second track. Cut out the parts from the original track that needs correction and have only these vocal parts reside on the new track. Apply the GSnap effect on this new track only. It means you leave the good parts of your vocals unaffected by GSnap on the original track and let the effect only be used where it's actually needed on the 2nd track vocal parts. If you use a lot of reverb on your vocals for example, you may need to solo the two vocals tracks and compare and match the reverb settings to make them sound the same. Because GSnap does affect the sound when it kicks in.

4. Put the GSNap VST first in the effects chain before any compressor, reverb etcetera.

Good luck!
aj113

Post by aj113 »

You may want to consider Anatares Autotune. The 32-bit vst is considered as 'legacy' by Antares and as such they have made it available free (without support of course). If you ask me, they are nuts but I'm not complaining.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

aj113 wrote:You may want to consider Anatares Autotune. The 32-bit vst is considered as 'legacy' by Antares and as such they have made it available free (without support of course). If you ask me, they are nuts but I'm not complaining.
WOW - aj - many thanks for this info. I have just been to their web site and there are loads of legacy products that are freely downloadable. Really great heads up - THANK YOU!

Just a quick question - I know Mixcraft doesent do VST3 (yet) but some of the legacy products on that site (specifically Auto Tune EFX2) are listed as VST 2.4 (not VST 2) do you know if Mixcraft can handle VST 2.4?

Cheers

John
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

fredfish wrote:
Just a quick question - I know Mixcraft doesent do VST3 (yet) but some of the legacy products on that site (specifically Auto Tune EFX2) are listed as VST 2.4 (not VST 2) do you know if Mixcraft can handle VST 2.4?

Cheers

John

Hey John, the answer is yes. I believe 2.4 was just an upgrade from VST 2.0. I downloaded the Autotune 7 (64) but have not installed yet. I have installed VST 2.4 effects before and they have worked fine. Hopefully Mixcraft 8 will support VST 3, which I'm sure it will.

Great find aj113, I would never of thought that Autotune 7 would be considered " Legacy". A couple of months ago I found Autotune EFX 2 on Ebay real cheap (less then $10) and almost bought it, now I know why it was so cheap.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Thanks GM - I thought that was the case (and in all honesty I could have tried).

As you say a great find by aj.

Cheers

John
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Y'all,

Regarding the Autotune "legacy" stuff mentioned above. I may be interested.

Is ILOK required for these items?

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

fredfish

Post by fredfish »

I have just looked at the download files and yes it looks like you need iLok! - which is probably a deal breaker for me (even if it is free!)

Cheers

John
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Damn guys, you give me something for free and then take it back!!!! :lol:

I just tried to install and about half way through a box comes up and asks if you want to install " Pace Anti-piracy software ".
I did some snooping on the net and they own ILOK. So if you already have an ILOK you are set. If not take your chances. I have heard alot of complaints about ILOK, so it is a no for me. Melodyne just came out with a new version so I will probably wait for a good deal on that { Black Friday ). I do not sing so it is not an absolute need for me.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

fredfish wrote:I have just looked at the download files and yes it looks like you need iLok! - which is probably a deal breaker for me (even if it is free!)

Cheers

John
Thanks for the response John. That's what I was afraid of. I'm not sold on the "ILOK" requirement. So, it's a no go for me also.

I'll wait for a "deal" on Melodyne.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I don't know if this helps, and don't hold me to too much accuracy working from memory, :roll: but:

In the past I have demoed several versions of Antares software, mostly variants of Autotune and their Harmony creating software, to evaluate the plug ins as well as to see how well they work within Mixcraft (and other hosts.)

I believe that Autotune 7 and perhaps other Antares software offered at a similar date require iLock, while previous/earlier versions required you to enter an auth code to continue use beyond a trial period. 10 days I think?

And I also recall loading a trial of Autotune 5 and getting the prompt to install the Pace virus detection offer. If I remember correctly, declining it locked up the computer during installation and I had to go into task manager and kill the error to continue.

I am not aware of a (legal) path to any free version beyond the trial period, but would be interested in that information. I also kind of prefer Melodyne's bag of tricks, but this would be good info to know.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page