How do I import midi drum sounds (samples)?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

drumandstage

Re: How do I import midi drum sounds (samples)?

Post by drumandstage »

drumandstage wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote:I'm lost.

I've been reading and following along in multiple threads hoping someone would help, because I dont feel I can at this point. Did the vague comment in another thread mean you have sorted this out?

It seems we have gone full circle back to some of the unanswered questions from earlier in this thread?

I'd really like to try to be more help, but I have no idea what's going on at this point.
Tying a few threads together here, I don't use Omni sampler, opened it once when it was introduced and never saw a use for it for anything I do personally. I have no idea how it is relevant and have no idea how it relates to using your MIDI drums.

Same thing with the MIDI drums themselves, Never used them. I would think the latency issues would be related to the drum modules driver and settings, but I honestly don't have a clue beyond the common comments on various threads about the limitations (and latency issues) using economy/off brand gear, I can only guess.

As to EZDrummer and its use, I did mention early on that I thought it probably wasn't ideal for people who play via MIDI drum sets.
But it should be useable on a basic level if you can get your controller issues sorted. Just not ideal.

To me, as I have mentioned in other threads I think using EZD comes down to two approaches. Either finding a MIDI loop groove that is close to what you want and editing it to suit your song, or playing it in by some means and tweaking it from there. It is really easy for me to get to the demo/idea/outline stage, but with some effort I can take it as far as needed from there.
My most common method has been to program a basic track of the core elements, (kick, snare and hat for example) then later filling it out with toms and cymbals, etc for example. And I can tweak velocities etc to taste.

And the real flexibility lies in that you can edit the MIDI notes or data, or change the sounds the MIDI triggers at any time later.

Mark,

The comment in the other thread can be taken to mean that I have reached a manageable level of confusion. To wit: I don't have a good grasp of the workings of the software to any respectable degree, but I have figured out how to make it work for me in the specific use I have for it at the moment. I'll peel away more and more layers as I do more and more. At least for the moment I can get the really good drum sounds I have been wanting.

The really baffling thing about the latency issue with the drum module, and I didn't discover it until after I had posted and put in a couple more hours of live recording, is that the audio is latent, but the triggering syncs right up. I don't know how that can even be when another USB device and all other live instruments sound so close to real time that you can't feel a delay at all. May be some obscure setting somewhere, but not sure it can be the module after all. If it was, the track would drag, too.

I finally did find a workaround, though. I move the slider way down on the drum MIDI track and feed a live sound off of the module and mix it with the sounds from the MC7 tracks in the Xenyx mixer. That way, everything sounds good and the MIDI track is in time, too.

Still a lot of unanswered questions, but I have things to a level that I can work with them. I took the day off to work on this and all in all it has been a pretty productive day in comparison to recent days. I certainly appreciate your continued interest and curiosity.

J-
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 (64GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 3 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit), MX8, Studio One 4 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

drumandstage wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote: My most common method has been to program a basic track of the core elements, (kick, snare and hat for example) then later filling it out with toms and cymbals, etc for example. And I can tweak velocities etc to taste.

And the real flexibility lies in that you can edit the MIDI notes or data, or change the sounds the MIDI triggers at any time later.

The really baffling thing about the latency issue with the drum module, and I didn't discover it until after I had posted and put in a couple more hours of live recording, is that the audio is latent, but the triggering syncs right up. I don't know how that can even be when another USB device and all other live instruments are so close to real time that you can feel a delay at all. May be some obscure setting somewhere, but not sure it can be the module after all. If it was, the track would drag, too.

I finally did find a workaround, though. I move the slider way down on the drum MIDI track and feed a live sound off of the module and mix it with the sounds from the MC7 tracks in the Xenyx mixer. That way, everything sounds good and the MIDI track is in time, too.

J-
Hmmm that is kind of interesting.

I just ordered Mixcraft Pro 7 with the intent of using Yamaha pads and various e-cymbals to play in my parts. I have a Yamaha TMX, which I intend to use solely as a Trigger to MIDI converter. I have two awesome acoustic kits (A custom built kit that I made 20 years ago, and a 9-piece Sonor kit - both sets Double bass) with an awesome Paiste cymbal collection.... but sadly I no longer have a practice place (and I can literally rent a house for the same price as a private practice room here in Jacksonville, FL.) I'm going back to school to become an RN, and once I am working in the field, my goal is to buy a house and build a completely soundproofed studio/practice room. Until then, this is what I'm dealing with.

So, we'll see how this works out for me.

Thanks,
ktk
drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

ktk9 wrote:
Hmmm that is kind of interesting.

...a 9-piece Sonor kit

...here in Jacksonville, FL.)
ktk

I was an Authorized Sonor Dealer 10-12 years ago and am the only active admin (Jules) at this time on the sonormuseum.

I'll be vacationing in Jacksonville early next month.

Nothing relevant to fixing problems, but interesting coincidences.

www.sonormuseum.com

www.sonormuseum.com/forum

www.facebook.com/sonormuseum
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 (64GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 3 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit), MX8, Studio One 4 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

Man, I feel sorry for you... vacationing in Jax. LOL
:lol:

No, seriously it's not THAT bad. I'm 47 and I've lived here most of the last 36 years.

The Sonor kit I have is pieced together from "castoffs" from the Force series. (I picked up the initial kit 10",12",13", 16" toms and a 22" kick for $100. I figured I could clean and part out the hardware for more than that. Turned out Sonor's bottom of the line kit was better made than my top of the line Ludwig kit from the 70's, so I wound up with 2 kicks, 8"-14" mounted toms, 14" and 16" floor toms.) I cleaned up the bearing edges and bought a woodgrain wrap and wrapped them.

I need to get it all out of storage and set it up with my rack and take some pictures of it. I have a LEVEL drumriser & Rack system with a Cymbal halo that Tony built for me a year ago - it's actually been sitting in storage for a year now. I never even got to take it out of the boxes. The kicks suspend in the air in front of the riser, and the cymbals all hang own from a steel overhead cymbal rack.

Luckily, my Mixcraft Pro 7 arrived today!! :D

I want to learn how to make samples. The custom kit I built had MAY EA mic's installed in them - the internal microphones on the toms kind of stunk, so I removed them.... they all sound like tubby little kick drums, but on the unmuffled 28" Kick drums... Holy Moly is that monstrous sounding. Useless for any for double bass work - but for a heavy groove kind of playing, it would make Bonzo wet his pants.
LOL

:shock: Now comes the task of building a standalone PC for recording. I don't think this part is going to be fun. :shock: