Replacing preprogrammed sounds in drum kits (MIDI)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

drumandstage

Replacing preprogrammed sounds in drum kits (MIDI)

Post by drumandstage »

I have found a few sounds that I like better than the stock sounds in the drum kits in the library. How do I build up a kit with sounds I want to use and load into the library.

I may not be conveying my question clearly. I am using an electronic kit set via MIDI, so I am using an entire drum kit pre-set in the MC library, but want to replace the kick and snare, for instance, with other samples I have loaded.
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 (64GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 3 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit), MX8, Studio One 4 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre
Mab098157

Re: Replacing preprogrammed sounds in drum kits (MIDI)

Post by Mab098157 »

Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

drumandstage wrote:I may not be conveying my question clearly. I am using an electronic kit set via MIDI, so I am using an entire drum kit pre-set in the MC library, but want to replace the kick and snare, for instance, with other samples I have loaded.
Hi,

What's the name of the drum kit preset you are using? Is it part of the virtual instrument called Acoustica Studio Drums?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
drumandstage wrote:I may not be conveying my question clearly. I am using an electronic kit set via MIDI, so I am using an entire drum kit pre-set in the MC library, but want to replace the kick and snare, for instance, with other samples I have loaded.
Hi,

What's the name of the drum kit preset you are using? Is it part of the virtual instrument called Acoustica Studio Drums?

Greg
I'm using the Power Kit that comes up when you click on the keyboard on the Virtual Instrument Track. I have a feeling I am overlooking something.
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 (64GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 3 2TB HDDs, Windows 10 Home 64-bit), MX8, Studio One 4 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am not sure how much I can help on this, as I don't use a MIDI drum set and have little knowledge on using them.

First some questions on clarifying your use. Are you drumming to record for use in a song project, or for performance?

Does your drum kit have any ability to assign MIDI outputs?

I think one suggestion to get you started, would be to consider switching to Acoustica Studio drums, as they sound far closer to the style you have expressed an interest in in the first place, then editing/mixing the sounds further to taste.
Perhaps reviewing this will give you some ideas: http://blog.acoustica.com/off-beaten-path/

Moving from that, if you can assign MIDI outputs, you could create your own set from samples and trigger them, but the specifics as to how to do that are going to depend on your rigs configuration and capabilities. But in general, you should be able to set your samples up in a sampler or sample player and direct your kit to trigger the desired samples.
This method may also aggravate the computer resource issues we have been discussing in another thread however.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, try the "Studio Kit - Processed" preset and see how you like that.

There is no option to replace individual sounds in the drum virtual instruments. The Omni Sampler would allow you to build your own drum kit (as discussed in the other thread).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
drumandstage

Post by drumandstage »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Yes, try the "Studio Kit - Processed" preset and see how you like that.

There is no option to replace individual sounds in the drum virtual instruments. The Omni Sampler would allow you to build your own drum kit (as discussed in the other thread).

Greg
Let me apologize for the redundancy. When I saw the first mention of the Omni Sampler, I was under the impression that it was an add on (additional cost) feature. I will be working with it in depth, now that I have paid better attention. :)