Questions on how to operate synths like Acoustica Nightlife

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

Questions on how to operate synths like Acoustica Nightlife

Post by marc32123 »

I have been wondering this for awhile, and I know that it takes research to figure it out... I am just hoping someone can point me in the right direction with some good articles or video tutorials hopefully. I just got done watching this video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3X1JLxBq0w

I have no idea how to use all these function like LFO's, oscillators, filters etc. I know that learning how to use these effects and learning how to tweak these parameters and functions could really help bring me to the next level in my music making... any advice?
Mark Bliss

Re: Questions on how to operate synths like Acoustica Nightlife

Post by Mark Bliss »

Tons of sources, don't know where to start!

The Berkley "introduction to music production" class has a good segment on the basics.

Googled "introduction to synthesizers" and got 450000 results.

A Youtube search hit 14300 results for the same phrase.

This is probably a good value based on my experience with other courses at the site:
https://www.groove3.com/synth-programmi ... -explained

And it wouldn't hurt a thing to select a preset and start experimenting with stuff and see what it does. :D
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

marc32123 wrote:any advice?
Like anything, study and practice. Synths are there own beast and can take a lifetime to truly understand.

M
vizionheiry

Post by vizionheiry »

marc32123 wrote:I have been wondering this for awhile, and I know that it takes research to figure it out... I am just hoping someone can point me in the right direction with some good articles or video tutorials hopefully. I just got done watching this video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3X1JLxBq0w

I have no idea how to use all these function like LFO's, oscillators, filters etc. I know that learning how to use these effects and learning how to tweak these parameters and functions could really help bring me to the next level in my music making... any advice?
Have you tried Syntorial? It's a training software that teaches you about the functions of synths.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Mark Bliss wrote:And it wouldn't hurt a thing to select a preset and start experimenting with stuff and see what it does.
A little further explanation:
Sample the presets taking in the range and style of sounds. Make a mental note at minimum.
Pick one and create a short loop, four bars for example.
While it is playing in loop mode start tweaking knobs and paying attention to the changes.

I personally suggest a study of the basics would be the best place to start, so one at least understands the terminology and basic functions.

Syntorials is probably a good source as suggested too.

But I am no authority, I'd prefer to practice playing the spoons or a handsaw to messing with a synth personally.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Thanks for the suggestion of Syntorial, it looks pretty sweet and I'm definitely going to check it out. Anyways, why don't you like messing with synths Mark?
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

By the way, great idea with sampling the preset and adjusting etc. Mark, thanks.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

marc32123 wrote:why don't you like messing with synths Mark?
Just not my thing, not a fan of the vast majority of the sounds made and way to fiddly.
Too many choices might be part of it. 8)

And besides, you know that song by the band "Europe" "Final countdown"? I rest my case. :lol:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Mark Bliss wrote:And besides, you know that song by the band "Europe" "Final countdown"? I rest my case. :lol:
Oh come on!!!!! :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/iH1biQdyiQI

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah exactly. :lol:
No offense if someone is a fan, it's an inside joke here at my house.

But seriously, I have full respect for those who can layer the things and make something musical.
I think I suffer from the effect of hearing them in solo and just not feeling it. It was the same in the 70's and 80's with keyboard synths, and the virtual stuff makes me feel the same way.

It's just not my thing.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
briannadejole

Post by briannadejole »

Mark Bliss wrote:
marc32123 wrote:why don't you like messing with synths Mark?
Just not my thing, not a fan of the vast majority of the sounds made and way to fiddly.
Too many choices might be part of it. 8)

And besides, you know that song by the band "Europe" "Final countdown"? I rest my case. :lol:
Mark, for not liking synthesisers you are heading to Venus. It's your final countdown! You are also sentenced to have the band Europe's hairstyle for the rest of the year. That will teach you!

I've been brought up listening to synthesiser music in the 80's. The Shadows did some of Jarre's tunes such as Equinoxe 5. I listened to some Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk. I purchased Mixcraft Pro for many reasons - one was to get all these synths :)

I would agree if you were referring to some of the early 80's pop use of Synth. I did not like Vienna by Ultravox. I hated the way that Human League used synthesisers. Synthesisers can be used badly. B ut for all that I am an avid synthesiser student!
When the point of singularity arrives a synthesiser robot will rule over us all.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

To each their own, I'm cool with that. As long as I can take my guitars and stuff.

At the point of singularity, I'll be watching from deep space though.
Venus it is.jpg
Venus it is.jpg (23.71 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Just one word - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark. Well, 5 words. Hmmm.
Oh, and Vince Clarke.
But yes.

Synths used rhythmically, or blended in to be be almost unheard ie supportive, and in an orchestral sense are sublime. The Mixcraft "Stereo Cello" built-in, humble as it is, does this very very well.

I agree Mark, in Solo, harsh, but to add weight to a bottom end (cakes and desserts aside), they're ace!

What was the original question? ;-)
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

msnickybee wrote:What was the original question? ;-)
I think it was about the doppler effect at 17500 MPH.
G runs in space.jpg
G runs in space.jpg (4.62 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
Or maybe, "If you play a G-run in space, would anyone hear it"? 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

marc32123 wrote:I have been wondering this for awhile, and I know that it takes research to figure it out... I am just hoping someone can point me in the right direction with some good articles or video tutorials hopefully. I just got done watching this video on youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3X1JLxBq0w

Hi,

In regard to Nightlife specifically, if you click on the images on the Acoustica Nightlife page, each one is a short video. Also, Mitchell Sigman is doing a series of videos on Nightlife on our Zeroes & Ones Blog.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101