Mixcraft hitting very apparent limits

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rick7567

Mixcraft hitting very apparent limits

Post by rick7567 »

Hey guys, I'm making a song that has ~50 layers, and each layer has several effects. The issue I'm facing here is that, while my computer can handle that strain, mixcraft can't. More often than not the program crashes and I have to restart it and it works like a charm for a few minutes then crashes again. As you could probably guess, this is an issue. Is there any way I can allocate more system resources to Mixcraft or is the program just not able to handle that much happening at once?
Anorax

Re: Mixcraft hitting very apparent limits

Post by Anorax »

Which version of mixcraft are you using? (You might also want to consider sending bug reports to Acoustica, and make sure to include mixcraft's log file so they can see what's going on. And by "might consider" I mean you most definitely should.)

The 64 bit version obviously has more access to ram, but will suffer minor CPU performance loss when having to use 32 bit plugins. The 32bit version obviously won't suffer this performance loss but can only chug along with <4gb of ram.
chibear

Post by chibear »

To start, try freezing all the tracks you are not working on or mix them down to wave.

What are your system specs? Are the tracks audio MIDI? If MIDI, what instruments? Which fx?
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
rick7567

Post by rick7567 »

thanks for the quick reply guys!
my specs:
3.2gHz quad-core i5 processor
12GB RAM
64 bit OS*

However, while the physical computer is a desktop computer that handles x64 programs, the hard drive im using came from a laptop so I have a 32 bit version of mixcraft. I'm running Mixcraft 7.7 build 310. Most of the tracks are MIDI and using synthesizers such as Massive, Serum, FL Studio VSTi, and Sylenth1. the fx with the most issues are the FabFilter Parametric EQ and LFOtool. However, I believe the 64 bit version may be what im looking for. Is the performance loss between 32 bit dll's bad enough to warrant not getting it?
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

If you not freezing tracks especially midi or heavy fx you should try that.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
rick7567

Post by rick7567 »

I've frozen a few tracks but would you suggest i keep all tracks frozen or just ones that im not working on? is there a way to freeze multiple tracks at once?
chibear

Post by chibear »

the hard drive im using came from a laptop
More likely than not, there's your bottleneck. It is probably a 5400rpm unit? Running your OS + running mixcraft + streaming samples + writing/reading Mixcraft temp files = big load on the drive.

Until you address this, suggest (as above) you pretend you have a weaker system and freeze ALL tracks but the one you are working on. In the future add another 7200rpm drive. The OS and Mixcraft program is OK on the 5400 rpm drive. Everything else for your DAW should go on the 7200 RPM.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
rick7567

Post by rick7567 »

Okay, I know I have a 7200rpm drive laying around here so I'll move everything over tonight. Also, upgrading to the 64 bit version helped immensely, the program's working seamlessly. Thanks for all of the help guys!
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

When's the last time you defragmented that drive? -h
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hi,

If the software is actually crashing, complete with an error message, then your log file will help us determine what is causing the crash. Mixcraft won't *crash* just because you have a large project, unless it runs out of memory. It's possible you're using a poorly-coded plug-in that's causing the actual crash. As I said, your log file will tell us what's going on, so next time you experience a crash, please contact our support and send us your log file.

Thanks!
Dan