Bass and drum

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Musicvains

Bass and drum

Post by Musicvains »

Any tips on how to fit drums and bass together ( so they won't clash in the mix ) using mixcraft build in vst ( or any other vst please tell!:) and please be extremely specific with your answer :) :D please don't say eq this eq that blah blah blah! I'm learning so please be more specific ;)
Rolling Estonian

Re: Bass and drum

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I found this really good, even though it's eq this and eq that..... There are a billion and 6 things you can find on the subject, and it's not the billion, it's the 6 that always get you! :mrgreen:

You just have to find out how you would like to learn about it and doing it. Personally, I like books so there are some great ones out there too. And don't forget to snoop around here for all kinds of info.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep11/a ... bottom.htm

M
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

A lot of folk on this forum have found the Recording Revolution helpful on all things related to making music, DAW, motivation, etc.

Graham has been 1 of primary source of information.

http://therecordingrevolution.com/?s=mixing+drums
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Mixing the kick and bass may just be the most frequently covered subject in all of mix tutorial land. Every tutor worth the time has probably covered it multiple times.

The SOS article is good, but possibly a bit advanced for many. I mean if you understand how to sculpt the individual sounds as described, you are probably at a level that already understands pretty well how to EQ them to work together right?

Maybe it would help to start simpler?

My suggestion would be to first know what is common and appropriate for the genre you are working in. Some use a dominant sub bass/kick sound, while others highlight the bass guitar more.

Beyond that, maybe this is a start? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qpFSpTHvwk

I'll add another if I find it.......
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
geobee

Post by geobee »

Maybe of help, but if your drum kit is recorded on separate tracks, as in bass drum and snare etc on different lanes, try panning the bass drum slightly to one side and the bass guitar to the other a little, and you should be able to hear each better, without making your mix too muddy so to speak. Try a little reverb on the snare, and compression on the bass drum and bass guitar to tighten them up a little. Don't use and stereo effects other than compression on them or you will get back to the same problem, in my opinion anyway, but mixing is a subject that can go on forever.
SuperSonic60

Post by SuperSonic60 »

In a very general sense.. Pull up an EQ in each bass and kick channel.
Choose what frequency you want your bass to sit (lets say 125hz), boost it by around +3dB in your bass EQ and dip it in your kick EQ.
Now do the same for you're kick eq. (Lets say 75hz) boost it by around +3dB and scoop -3dB at 75hz from your bass channel.
Does this sound any clearer? Are you able to easily distinguish between the two?
These are just examples of frequencies and dB boosts/scoops, use your ears and see what sounds right to you.

Also try using a low cut on each channel (lets say 45hz) this will eliminate inaudable low energy and potentially clean up the sound.
Some people prefer to have the bass sit at a slightly higher frequency than the kick, others dont. Its all entirely subjective! Dont EQ it with just your eyes 'by the book', EQ it so it SOUNDS closer to what you're trying to achieve!
Hope this helps somewhat :)
bandso

Post by bandso »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECRx4WF3pcc this is a good trick from him as well
Mixcraft 7 Pro, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro, Protools 8.4, Roland VS-2480