Splitting Virtual Instrument Tracks

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Vellosoft

Splitting Virtual Instrument Tracks

Post by Vellosoft »

I started the song by importing midi files encompassing every note from the first note to the last. Now I'd like to split that single performance into verses and choruses, but when I split the track in two, I see both tracks still have all the notes, they just happen to be greyed out after the split on the first track and up to the split on the second track. Okay, I can imagine situations where you might want to keep all the notes, but for my purposes here, I really only want the notes up to the split. It just seems wasteful having all those other notes hanging around.

Seemed to me like "Crop" would be exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't see anything happening when I crop.

Outside of going in with the eraser or the selector and taking out all the greyed out notes, is there any way I can delete everything outside of the loop start and end with a single command?
fredfish

Re: Splitting Virtual Instrument Tracks

Post by fredfish »

Absolutely you can do that.

In the MIDI clip simply right click on the tracks title bar (IE the slightly darker blue bar running across the top of the track) and select split from the drop down menu where you want the split. Then you have options - you can right click on the bit you don't want and select delete (be aware that doing this APPEARS to remove the clip but the data is still there and can be put back by dragging the end of the clip. Another option is to right click on the bit that you want to keep and select Mix to new clip.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John
outteh

Post by outteh »

Once you have your clips in place showing only the verses you want, you can then select all clips on the track and merge. This will create a track with only your good notes. :D
Vellosoft

Post by Vellosoft »

Excellent! Mix to New Clip does exactly what I wanted, thanks.

(It doesn't seem to me like the most intuitive way of naming the command, to me it seems like what you're really doing is cropping the clip to the selection, but whatever, Mix to New Clip does the trick. Thanks again.)