Humanizing Suggestion

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Vellosoft

Humanizing Suggestion

Post by Vellosoft »

Humanizing is one of the great features in Mixcraft. Here are two updates which would be easy to implement and offer much more control.

Instead of Random, Early or Late on the milliseconds for the start time, how about early milliseconds and late milliseconds, so you could have random range of say 5ms early and 15ms late. By having just two input fields, you can span the gamut from all late (0ms, 20ms) to all early (-20ms, 0ms) or mostly on the late side, say -5ms along with +15ms.

Just like you have a bottom end and a top end for Randomize in range, it would be nice if you could also have a random range of say +0% and -40% or +10% and -30%.

Now on this final suggestion, I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but once your done giving a little humanizing to the starts, the durations and the velocities, one thing still remains - the pitches. I'm not talking half-steps for piano riffs, but the subtle shifts in pitch you hear on a drum kit, random shifts in cents, not half-steps. That would really, really help parts of the drum kit like the ride cymbal sound much more human.
BillW

Re: Humanizing Suggestion

Post by BillW »

In terms of random pitch, esp re drums, that's one of the things I liked about using sfz files. . You can "program" individual hits to have pitch randomized within a specified range.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Vellosoft

Post by Vellosoft »

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into that. I honestly don't know anything about sfz files.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Vellosoft wrote:Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into that. I honestly don't know anything about sfz files.
sfz is essentialy a "container" that holds details about a whole range of samples packeged in to one file. So for example you could have an sfz file that has (in your case) a whole range of drum sample - including the different nuances like rims etc.

sfz is just a file format you need an sfz compatible sample player and some are distinctly better than others. The actual .sfz file can be opened with a text editor such as notepad and you can change a whole range of options.

As Bill says they can be extremly powerful - but be aware that there are quite a few "Middle of the Road" collections out there!

You have a journey ahead of you :D

Cheers

John