SFZ VST FILES

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

geobee

SFZ VST FILES

Post by geobee »

Hi all, trying to load these vst's from Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra, but they are in SFZ format. Can't seem to get the files into my VST folder, then loaded into Mixcraft. Not the brightest here with computer recording, but learning slowly. Do I have to extract the files or whatever? Sure it will be something that I have missed. Any help would be good.
Rolling Estonian

Re: SFZ VST FILES

Post by Rolling Estonian »

You need to get a sfz player, there are a few out there. Open the player as an instrument and load your instruments in the player.

This is a popular free one: http://www.megavst.com/samplers/sfz-player/sforzando/

M
ruhestrom

Post by ruhestrom »

yea there are quite alot of instruments and such out there which need their own player and you get sound packs for as Estonian says...

but i got a question: how are those orchestra sounds? ^^
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks for the help, got the player ok, and loaded it into mixcraft as a VST instrument. When I open that in the edit function in Mixcraft, it opens fine, and I can drag and drop a file into it, and then play it, but once I close the player and re open it, the dropped file is gone again. Not sure what I am doing wrong with it.
ruhestrom

Post by ruhestrom »

but you open it on a midi track by clicking the little keyboard symbol, right? usually the player should not be closed, just put into the background, so to say as long as you keep it assigned to the midi track...should not reset to default in this case
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks for that, just downloaded the user manual, will read up on it. The sounds are very realistic in my opinion.
ruhestrom

Post by ruhestrom »

know what? i´ll check them out myself and let you know if the player causes trouble for me,too :)

looking for some orchestra sounds anyway ;)
ruhestrom

Post by ruhestrom »

okay, tried them now, but with the "Sforzando sfz player"...works

here´s how it went for me... unpacked the sound pack in a new "orchestra" folder within my VST folder... installed the Sforzando player in the same folder...

opened mixcraft (any project with midi tracks)... opened the instruments tab in a midi track (piano symbol)
looked for Sforzando in the list and opened it... the open player is empty, so i klick "import", to look for the sound pack folder at it´s above mentioned location and chose a sound ...

sadly you cant simply klick through the whole folder, but import each sound, but that´s okay...

i could close and open the player window without any issues ...

the instruments are "okay",nothing mind blowing, but workable... the Piano is nice though
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Just to back up what Rhustrom said here is a short video of the sound library being loaded into the Plogue player and then closing the player window. The sounds are still loaded into the vst and play fine with the musical typing keyboard with or without the interface open (I used the Musical Typing keyboard because 1) we all have it and 2) you can see what I am doing - obviously the results are the same with an external MIDI keyboard).

I have placed the sfz files folder next to the Mixcraft window and dragged and dropped the required files bucause it is very visual - but actualy it is also probably the easiest way to do it.

Anyway hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/62e_611MJkg

Cheers

John
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks John, that video looks like a good instruction for it, will try it very shortly. One thing I cant seem to grab though, is when you say drag and drop vst's into an open Mixcraft window, I try this, and just as I get the vst in the area, it goes dead on the cursor. I must be not understanding the method properly. My background is electronics, can build an amplifier from input to output, out of my head, but computer recording is fairly new to me. Every time I add new vst/s, I have to do a re scan, if I get to use the drag and drop method, will that remove the need to do that every time. Also, how do I delete vst's from within Mixcraft, as there are some that I have added that are not so great after all. Many thanks. Geoff
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

I caught this just before hitting the hay (coming up for midnight here!).

When you say about dragging and dropping the vst I assume that you are talking about a previous discussion we had about adding new vsts into Mixcraft? I ask because when I mention drag and drop in this thread I am talking about dragging the .sfz files from a folder in to the Plouge interface.

I haven't tried this but I am fairly sure that if you want to remove vsts that you no longer want it can depend on the method used to install the .vst in the first place. If you simply dragged the .dll file to a folder on your hard drive then just remove the .dll from your hard drive. If you used an installer file then look to see if it appears in Add and Remove Programs in control panel and remove from there. In either circumstance the next time you run Mixcraft it will re-scan your vsts and they should have disappeared from your list.

Cheers

John
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks John, yes, I was referring to the earlier drop method with the .dll vst's, not the SFZ ones. Regards. Geoff
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Geoff,

As John points out, removal requirements can vary.
To clarify, Depending on where and how the plug in is installed, you may have anything ranging from a simple .dll file that can be deleted, to a more sophisticated plug in with multiple folders of files, spread out over multiple locations.
I have found that most, but not all of the more sophisticated installations have uninstallers, but theres many that dont.
If you want to fully remove plug ins, you might need to explore your hard drive a little.
In my installation for example, in program files I have several folders named VST, vstplugins, waves, etc that are all plug in related.
But the general rule of thumb is to be aware. You are in a program files folder. Dont delete, move or alter anything you are unsure of.

Far simpler is to understand that most of these files are VERY small and can be ignored. If you simply dont want to see them on the plug in list within Mixcraft, thats really easy to fix.

From within Mixcraft, go to "File/Manage plug ins" and de-select any items you don't use.
*Tip: You can deselect them and "hide" them, but if you later want to use them, recheck the box and its back on the list.
deselect vst's.jpg
deselect vst's.jpg (55.13 KiB) Viewed 10914 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks Mark, yes, that is the easiest method, and as you say the safest.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi all, still having issues with this Sforzando player. I note with your video, John, that it has 64 bit up at the top. Mine doesn't have that, has VST_x86. Not sure if this is anything, but when I drag a file into the window, I can play it while its showing at the top in the area where it says ''instrument'', but if I load another one, and then try to scroll through them, the first one is gone again. I downloaded the user manual, but it looks like it is more aimed at seasoned users of DAW's, not newbies such as me. Only for the fact that I like some of the sounds in these files I am trying to work with, I think I would call myself beat on the player. Just a question John, those files you are showing being loaded into the player, what are the symbols on them, it looks like an MP3 ''note'', I just cant make them out on the video. Many thanks. Geoff